Holidays in the UK 2022

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We love Spain, and spend between 15 and 20 weeks a year there now. Weather was a big factor as I can’t stand the cold wet winters in the U.K. New Year’s Day near Estepona we were on the beach. We avoid July and August but rest of year the weather is mostly beautiful. We have already had trips to Cadiz, Seville, Rhonda and Malaga. Córdoba and Granada being lined up. Looking forward to skiing again, and just over a two hour drive from our apartment.

High speed train from Malaga to Madrid and Barcelona definitely on the to do list.

Great weather, cheap food and drink, stunning beaches and very friendly locals. Any minor problems such as Spanish drivers more than made up for by the advantages. Should have bought out there years ago.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just seen an episode of the fishing programme with Paul and Bob on the Norfolk Broads. All looked very pleasant but is there anything there apart from water and boats? Are there things to visit in the area?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've just seen an episode of the fishing programme with Paul and Bob on the Norfolk Broads. All looked very pleasant but is there anything there apart from water and boats? Are there things to visit in the area?

Holidayed there, probably, 20 times. Probably a 50/50 split between boats and cottages. There’s plenty to see and do. Avoid a boating holiday in the school holidays. Depending on what you want from the holiday will determine where you stay. My preference, if not on a boat, is up the northern end. Not too far from the likes of Sheringham/Cromer but still close enough to reach the Broads to hire a day boat.

Our last boat…

1465865_676547249032868_858046119_o.jpg

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Depends on what you're looking to see. There's Norwich Cathedral and Castle as well as several National Trust properties. Some decent golf courses. Beaches. Decent country pubs. And if you fancy roughing it you could have a day out in Great Yarmouth.

Carlwm

Visit site
Did an excellent road trip through England last year, visiting Shropshire, Worcestershire, the Cotswolds, Somerset, Devon & Cornwall over the course of a month. Hoping to have a similar experience around Wales this year.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
On my to do list this year is to revisit every English county and to reach every county top.
So far I've done 25 which includes traditional counties, historical ones and metropolitan ones.
The tops are not always easy to find and it's felt like a treasure hunt at times.
A few examples;
Top of Bucks is on Haddington Hill near the Go Ape climbing centre where eventually I managed to locate the stones which mark the top of the Chilterns.
Unnamed top of Hunts is called 'boring field' but it still provided a pleasant walk one evening last month.
Top of Lincs is Wolds Top where the trig point was not easy to find.
Top of Rutland gave views over to Rutland Water.
Top of Notts is Silverhill (officially) but unofficially is Strawberry Bank, so I had to do them both.

This week I did Billinge Hill - the top of Merseyside.

Carlwm

Visit site
On my to do list this year is to revisit every English county and to reach every county top.
So far I've done 25 which includes traditional counties, historical ones and metropolitan ones.
The tops are not always easy to find and it's felt like a treasure hunt at times.
A few examples;
Top of Bucks is on Haddington Hill near the Go Ape climbing centre where eventually I managed to locate the stones which mark the top of the Chilterns.
Unnamed top of Hunts is called 'boring field' but it still provided a pleasant walk one evening last month.
Top of Notts is Silverhill (officially) but unofficially is Strawberry Bank, so I had to do them both.

I'm ticking off the county tops of England & Wales too. Johnny Muir's Cicerone book sparked my interest though I'm using my own routes. It's a great way of walking in fascinating places that you might not visit otherwise.

According to the aforementioned book, the only inaccessible traditional top is Betsom's Hill, in Kent, which is in a private garden.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you haven't yet been to the highest top in Herefordshire, Black Hill is quite an experience.
How many times have I walked the Black Mountain ridge but couldn't be bothered to divert to it.
It's best done from the southern side.
I'll also give a special mention to Brown Clee Hill in Shropshire which is best done from the east via the wonderful steep access road.

Like you say it's not always possible to get to the very top. Turners Hill in the West Midlands is blocked at the top by fencing.
But what a walk it can make if you combine it with the Netherton canal tunnel below, but take a torch.

Carlwm

Visit site
If you haven't yet been to the highest top in Herefordshire, Black Hill is quite an experience.
How many times have I walked the Black Mountain ridge but couldn't be bothered to divert to it.
I'll also give a special mention to Brown Clee Hill in Shropshire which is best done from the east via the wonderful steep access road.

Like you say it's not always possible to get to the very top. Turners Hill in the West Midlands is blocked at the top by fencing.
But what a walk it can make if you combine it with the Netherton canal tunnel below, but take a torch.

I've never been sure whether The Black Mountain or Black Hill, counts as the highest point in Herefordshire. The former (which I've walked up quite a lot over the years. Love the Hatterrall Ridge) is bang on the Powys/Herefordshire border while the latter is entirely in England. Better make sure I've summited them both to be on the safe side. Looking at Black Hill, the route that suggests itself, is starting at the picnic area above Little Black Hill, diverting across the valley to Offa's Dyke Path, to get all the road walking done & dusted early, before crossing to the Black Hill ridge, at Llech Y Lladron. Looks terrific on the map & reaches both tops.

Went up Brown Clee Hill last Summer though we took a route from the West (Clee St Margaret) to take in Nordy Bank Hillfort as well. Lovely walk.

Your Turner's Hill walk looks fascinating. It's exactly the sort of walk I wouldn't have even considered before embarking on this project. A glance at the map makes it look far too built up too be worth the effort. However, on closer inspection, it seems full of interest.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A few examples;

I remember going over the highest point of Hertfordshire - it's profoundly uninspiring, because it's just bang on the border with Bucks as the chiltern ridge ascends towards Wendover. There's no 'point' to it at all - the land is higher one foot further on.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Looking at Black Hill, the route that suggests itself, is starting at the picnic area above Little Black Hill, diverting across the valley to Offa's Dyke Path, to get all the road walking done & dusted early, before crossing to the Black Hill ridge, at Llech Y Lladron. Looks terrific on the map & reaches both tops.
There is car parking at the start of the Cat's Back which is the best route there and back.
The Black Hill, Cat's Back | Visit Herefordshire

Went up Brown Clee Hill last Summer though we took a route from the West (Clee St Margaret) to take in Nordy Bank Hillfort as well. Lovely walk.
Abdon Burf on Brown Clee Hill is usually mentioned as the highest point in Central England and yet having ascended from all sides many times I've never seen more than a few people up there.

Your Turner's Hill walk looks fascinating. It's exactly the sort of walk I wouldn't have even considered before embarking on this project. A glance at the map makes it look far too built up too be worth the effort. However, on closer inspection, it seems full of interest.
There is a free car park near the nature reserve and engine house which pumped water out of a mine and arguably was the trigger for the industrial revolution.
Descend to the canal (Dudley number 2 canal) and you'll see a pinprick of light at the other end 1.7 miles away.
It's a bit splashy with water dripping down from the ceiling and after 200 yards it becomes very dark, so a torch is necessary. But it's safe because the towpath has a rail.
At the other end find your way up Turner's Hill by Dudley golf course then follow the right of way down the course back to the road.
If you still have an hour to spare try the small but dramatic 9 hole course on nearby Tippety Green Road where green fees are only £6.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

A couple of high Golf courses in Herefordshire and Shropshire are Kington and Church Stretton. Magnificent views.

Carlwm

Visit site
There is car parking at the start of the Cat's Back which is the best route there and back.
The Black Hill, Cat's Back | Visit Herefordshire

Abdon Burf on Brown Clee Hill is usually mentioned as the highest point in Central England and yet having ascended from all sides many times I've never seen more than a few people up there.

There is a free car park near the nature reserve and engine house which pumped water out of a mine and arguably was the trigger for the industrial revolution.
Descend to the canal (Dudley number 2 canal) and you'll see a pinprick of light at the other end 1.7 miles away.
It's a bit splashy with water dripping down from the ceiling and after 200 yards it becomes very dark, so a torch is necessary. But it's safe because the towpath has a rail.
At the other end find your way up Turner's Hill by Dudley golf course then follow the right of way down the course back to the road.
If you still have an hour to spare try the small but dramatic 9 hole course on nearby Tippety Green Road where green fees are only £6.

Many thanks for all the advice and info. Much appreciated!