Holes closed at Portrush

Mickyc

Hacker
Visit site
Apparently the R&A have told portrush to close 2 holes for the next 6 weeks for prep for next years open. Anyone have any idea what this is about. I am supposed to be playing there in 5 weeks’ time.
Mike

D

Deleted member 17920

Apparently the R&A have told portrush to close 2 holes for the next 6 weeks for prep for next years open. Anyone have any idea what this is about. I am supposed to be playing there in 5 weeks’ time.
Mike
Have you contacted Royal Portrush.

They are doing a huge amount of work and when we played it last November they had the 2nd green on a temp and some bunkers were GUR as they had completely refurbished them.

Its winter and its what I would expect with them having the open next year.

Mickyc

Hacker
Visit site
The bookings guy couldn’t tell me anything other than the R&A have control over the greenstaff and have told them to close two of the holes until the end of March. Will be going up anyway and with a bit of luck (now that it’s only 16 holes) might play it twice.

D

Deleted member 17920

Speak or email the club and see which holes it is and ask if there's any discount on the green fee. Can understand the R&A doing it but frustrating if you are due to play there soon.
Homer, did you not read the post above.

he said that the club won’t tell him anything.

and Portrush winter green fee is cheaper than summer and they put in the terms and conditions that holes may be closed etc to cover themselves.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Homer, did you not read the post above.

he said that the club won’t tell him anything.

and Portrush winter green fee is cheaper than summer and they put in the terms and conditions that holes may be closed etc to cover themselves.

YES. He said the "bookings" person couldn't help. That's not the CLUB won't tell him anything, just one part of it.

D

Deleted member 17920

YES. He said the "bookings" person couldn't help. That's not the CLUB won't tell him anything, just one part of it.
So who do you suggest he contacts then?

The bookings person is the main contact between visitor and club whilst the booking is in place. Unless it’s different from our place as that’s exactly what happens.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Crikey, that's a full 17 months away.... grass grows quite slowly on the north coast! :confused:
[/url]

We had work done to our greens. Some machine that takes moss out from underneath the green. It has left these lines in the green that are a nightmare to putt on. Acts like speed bumps and kills roll.

Apparently they are planning to do it again before the start of the season. Frustrating but if it needs doing then happy for it to be done.

The grass just hasn't grown at all so it hasn't repaired itself all winter long.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mike

Can't confirm whether or not it's true if they have closed two holes but they do, or at least I think they still do, still have the original 17th & 18th holes which they closed for the two new ones which they could easily just slot back into play if indeed they have two others closed for a period.

Obviously it's much preferable to play the full course but at winter rates you won't be too disappointed with whatever 16 holes you are left with.

Enjoy, it's a truly superb golf course

D

Deleted member 17920

Can't confirm whether or not it's true if they have closed two holes but they do, or at least I think they still do, still have the original 17th & 18th holes which they closed for the two new ones which they could easily just slot back into play if indeed they have two others closed for a period.

Obviously it's much preferable to play the full course but at winter rates you won't be too disappointed with whatever 16 holes you are left with.

Enjoy, it's a truly superb golf course
The original 18th was a right mess back in November. They was doing some serious amount of work to it.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The original 18th was a right mess back in November. They was doing some serious amount of work to it.

Ah right, wasn't sure if they had started anything on it yet as haven't ventured up that way this winter.

Well 16 holes at Royal Portrush is as good as 18 at most other places 😆

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had work done to our greens. Some machine that takes moss out from underneath the green. It has left these lines in the green that are a nightmare to putt on. Acts like speed bumps and kills roll.

Apparently they are planning to do it again before the start of the season. Frustrating but if it needs doing then happy for it to be done.

The grass just hasn't grown at all so it hasn't repaired itself all winter long.

They used to do this at ours and the greens were awesome. Not been done for years. They're all slow puddin's now.