Holed out with FCs ball in error after he marked my ball but gave me his ball.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yesterday in a medal while I raked a greenside bunker after playing out one of my FC's marked my ball then mistakenly gave me his ball to put out with. We were both playing ProV1's with different numbers and markings but I didn't check the marks when I placed the ball and just lined up the alignment mark. DOH!:eek:

On the next tee when we went to tee up I realised I had his ball so we worked out what must have happened. I checked the rules and added a 2 stroke pen as required by Rule 15-1 and signed for the score with this included. FC, who is also a good mate, was gutted but I was having a mare and it only turned a double into a quad so it didn't really matter.

Having got home I checked the Rules just out of curiosity to see if there were any decisions on this, and Decision 15-1/2 signposted me to this

20-1/5 Competitor's Ball Lifted Without Authority by Fellow-Competitor's Caddie Who Subsequently Substitutes Another Ball Which Competitor Plays

Q. A competitor's ball lying on the putting green is lifted by a fellow-competitor's caddie without the authority of the competitor. Subsequently, the fellow-competitor's caddie by mistake substitutes another ball and the competitor plays it. The error is then discovered. What is the ruling?

A. When a competitor authorises another person to lift his ball, the competitor is responsible for any breach of the Rules (Rule 20-1). The converse is generally true, i.e. the competitor is not responsible for a breach of a Rule caused by the unauthorised lifting of his ball. Thus, in this case, the competitor should not be penalised under Rule 15-2. The competitor should hole out with the substituted ball, without penalty.​

I assume the same applies if it is FC rather than FC's caddy.

Now I didn't actually authorise my FC to lift and mark my ball but I didn't object and would have said Ok had he asked. I had plenty of opportunity to check if it was my ball when replacing it. So penalty seems justified but on the other hand "rules is rules" (or at least "decisions is decisions").

So a couple of things,

Given the above decision should I have been spared the penalty?

Secondly, I did the right thing checking the Rules which clearly indicated a 2 shot penalty but only the decision book would have told me that I might avoid the penalty. There is nothing in the Rules that suggested there might be an exception and I think you'd need really good rule knowledge to know this decision. As it happened it was of no significance in terms of comp result or handicap, but it might have been. It seems a bit unfair that there's no exception or note in the book to clarify this.

Any thoughts?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Given the number of Decisions in the book, there must be so many instances where you only know what to do if you know or find the relevant Decision. That's the complexity of the game. I reckon we just have to accept that in competition after competition throughout the world, players at club level at best do their best with a basic knowledge of the rules and that much goes on that is wrong.

I suspect that it was only your much better knowledge of the rule that got you penalised in the first place! Would the ordinary punter have reckoned on a penalty when it was the other player's "fault" for giving him the wrong ball?

And very honest of you to consider that tacit acceptance of his lifting your ball amounted to your giving authority.

Last edited:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Colin,

I do sometimes think that knowing the rules is a double edged sword. On the previous hole my ball came to rest in a bunker just in front of a large leaf. I was so concerned about touching the leaf when addressing the ball or on my back swing that I made a total mess of the shot! If I hadn't known the rule on this I'd have just played without caring about it.

Anyway at least it didn't spoil a good round and we both learned a lesson from it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think the decision you have referenced is applicable.

Had the other player substituted your ball for his when replacing it then yes, but he gave his ball to you and you (wrongly) substituted it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As above. Once you have the ball in your hand it is your responsibility.

It is now a wrongly substituted ball (Rule 15-3) not a wrong ball (Rule 15-2).

Last edited:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Duncan, yes thinking about it in those terms, that seems exactly right. I know it has been said before about reading the Rules literally and indeed it was I who actually substituted the ball. I still think I was justified getting my mate buy me a drink though. ;)