• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Have you had an ace?

• Total voters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
None, hit the pin and done all the usual near-miss stories

A friend has had one in England, Wales, Ireland (Portrush) and now Scotland after holing his tee shot at the last at North Berwick

NeilG

Visit site
100% OK if he doesn't want to, or 100% OK to buy everyone in sight drinks all day long if he wants to.

Man hits ball... Ball goes into hole...
Woopy doo, why should someone be obliged to fork out and buy strangers a drink for some random occurrence?

Agree with this.
Not keen on these type of traditions.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How many clubs have something set up to “protect” someone who gets a hole in one?

I’ve always understood it to be one of those things where you get everyone a drink, though don’t know why is started.

I have heard of some clubs having a fund for it to cover the cost, or where they sell a bottle at cost so it can be left on the bar for everyone to have a glass/shot.
We do this now.
If you had a hole in one on a comp day you would need a very fat wallet as it’s usually rammed all day.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Us scousers havnt had much luck sadly.

I’ve not had one.

Stu had one at a club that doesn’t exist anymore, so obviously that doesn’t count.

Lb Peter, don’t even get me started on that bleeding thing!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We do this now.
If you had a hole in one on a comp day you would need a very fat wallet as it’s usually rammed all day.

My first one was on a very quiet day, only me and my playing partners in the bar and my second was a Saturday - cost close to £200 ??

D

Deleted member 1147

As above, scratch match not a social friendly.
Guy hits ball that goes in a hole in the ground.
Why should he be forced into spending his money on buying you a drink?
We normally have some grub and drinks together after scratch matches. Normally with the home team buying the first round.

D

Deleted member 25172

Never had one.

A poor new member thought it was a good idea to get a hole in one on our “club day” which had the biggest field of the year with 120 members, with pretty much everyone staying around afterwards as it’s a day when there’s music afterwards and you’re encouraged to get your family to the club.

Felt sorry for the lad so I didn’t have one on him. It ended up costing him £600. It’s pure peer pressure. Not everyone has a spare £600 quid to buy drinks to strangers.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Never had one.

A poor new member thought it was a good idea to get a hole in one on our “club day” which had the biggest field of the year with 120 members, with pretty much everyone staying around afterwards as it’s a day when there’s music afterwards and you’re encouraged to get your family to the club.

Felt sorry for the lad so I didn’t have one on him. It ended up costing him £600. It’s pure peer pressure. Not everyone has a spare £600 quid to buy drinks to strangers.
I definitely don't have that sort of money at the moment and would happily tell people so.

I used to think it was just a bit of a laugh, but now I am in a more financially difficult position than I used to be, I think it is utter nonsense. I would have no problem buying my group and my mates a drink, but the entire field?! No way.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Bloke I used to work with joined Nizels, near Tonbridge, and had a hole in one during a club competition.
First thing he did when he got back to the clubhouse was go and ask the secretary not to mention it while giving out the results as he didn't want to dip into his pocket.
Tight git.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The accepted practice around my clubs in these parts is to put a bottle of whisky on the bar with an invitation for everyone to help themselves.

I’ve never had this pleasure but have been surprised just how long a good bottle lasts sometimes. More a side effect of our drink drive laws than any particular snub I think.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We are covered to £200 as part of our club membership. As the bill approaches the 200 mark, the bar staff will ask if you want to close it. At that point, it is your choice. Most times, it doesn't get near it anyway.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I agree with you but as Curls said, why bring over a tray of drinks just for his mates. Seems odd (and a bit disrespectful) to me ?
This. I'm kinda with Traminator generally, but when I've played inter club matches (admittedly not scratch) we always buy the oppos drinks win lose or draw. If he's gone to the trouble of buying for his teammates & there's only a few oppos left then seems poor attitude to exclude.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This. I'm kinda with Traminator generally, but when I've played inter club matches (admittedly not scratch) we always buy the oppos drinks win lose or draw. If he's gone to the trouble of buying for his teammates & there's only a few oppos left then seems poor attitude to exclude.

Ah yeah but in fairness Traminator didn’t know all the specifics and in this case thought it bad form as well when I filled in the detail. You’d think winning his match, winning the league and getting a hole in one would have made him less of an expletive but there you go it takes all sorts ?

Like I say, I look forward to returning...

D

Deleted member 15344

We just get a bottle whiskey from the bar - it’s then left there and people get themselves a drink , we then have to replace the whiskey .

we can then claim it against the clubs insurance if you want the money back

Also because I member of the RAF GA I can then submit it and get £100 back as well which helps pay for the other drinks that I buy if someone doesn’t want a whiskey on the day itself

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The accepted practice around my clubs in these parts is to put a bottle of whisky on the bar with an invitation for everyone to help themselves.

I’ve never had this pleasure but have been surprised just how long a good bottle lasts sometimes. More a side effect of our drink drive laws than any particular snub I think.

That's what we do, and then you just buy a bottle to replace the one drunk reedy for the next person.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never had one.

That’s the reason we have a bottle of whisky on the bar.
With a note “ mr ............... had a hole in one today have a drink on him”
£600 to an ordinary working man is just not on.
My golf insurance covers me for £250 I think .

D

Deleted member 1740

This and the split the Bill thread has certainly showed how people think when it comes to spending a pound and pretty much sums up how modern day society is.

When I was young kid I can remember my auld girl wouldn’t let me take a Mars bar out in the street unless my friends had something and have seen her cut one up into pieces to share amongst me and my friends.