Hitting Wedges of Soft lies

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have not found that to be the case, however it does however depend on your greens. I would always aim to get the shot landing on the green or fringe and running out, landing it short is not a great idea at all and would end up most likely costing you shots.

I think this is what Patick meant! Bump and run implies landing it 'short' to me, and obviously Patrick as well.

Given the shot you describe, played with a 7 iron, implies that you are starting within 4 ft of the fringe for a 40ft overall shot, it's more of a chip than an approach shot. If you have nearly 40ft of green to work with I can't see any point in landing anywhere but on the green - unless you are playing a bump and run (which you wouldn't in these conditions....etc) the fringe is the most inconsistent place to land the ball in soft conditions!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think this is what Patick meant! Bump and run implies landing it 'short' to me, and obviously Patrick as well.

Given the shot you describe, played with a 7 iron, implies that you are starting within 4 ft of the fringe for a 40ft overall shot, it's more of a chip than an approach shot. If you have nearly 40ft of green to work with I can't see any point in landing anywhere but on the green - unless you are playing a bump and run (which you wouldn't in these conditions....etc) the fringe is the most inconsistent place to land the ball in soft conditions!

Most of the time just getting on the green is the idea, rather than going close which could be too much of a risk.

Its by far from my only shot BUT its one I always consider, I start off low and then see if I need a higher shot then choose the appropriate club. Even in wet conditions as a 7 iron can still get up and stop and I find less loft easier off soft lies as I clip them off the top more rather than risking going under them.

Maybe I just need to get better but its a way I had working when I needed it, its always only something to consider, not have it as the only way.