Hitting 6/7/8 Pitch swings for 40 to 130yards

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
pretty pointless playing this at this time of the year for parkland. granted hitting a couple of clubs more easy to keep the flight down is useful but running them all the way from 100+ yards isn't really the best idea right now.

Ok I am not skuttling a shot along the ground

It is a 8 iron from 100 yards to land on front of the green and run out to middle for instance

It is amazing how quickly you can dial this kind of shot it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
pretty pointless playing this at this time of the year for parkland. granted hitting a couple of clubs more easy to keep the flight down is useful but running them all the way from 100+ yards isn't really the best idea right now.
We do have a couple of holes where there the ball will release and run, whether that's to do with layout, lack of grass, natural contouring etc I don't know but our 7th and 14th in particular even at this time of year give an opportunity to hit a 100 yard chip and run or play the type of shot in the OP. As both tend to play distinctly down wind most of the time it does allow a degree more control. I would agree that these holes apart, parkland courses as a whole don't present too many opportunities for this shot

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
no would be the simple answer, why complicate it, with half swings, flicks and relying on the balls run, when a full shot of a set distance is far easier

i might play this shot once in a while if its very windy and no trouble in the way, and we are off mats at the moment, even a rock stops on its first bounce of one during the winter

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think I could get lower scores doing this but I just can’t get psychologically bring myself to do it. It’s too much fun (and equal measures of pain) to hit full wedges and try land them on the green with a stop 😅

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
no would be the simple answer, why complicate it, with half swings, flicks and relying on the balls run, when a full shot of a set distance is far easier

i might play this shot once in a while if its very windy and no trouble in the way, and we are off mats at the moment, even a rock stops on its first bounce of one during the winter

This is true Patrick. I've been using any old ball this winter as they all stop within a yard on approach shots with irons.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Is the full shot always the easiest, especially down wind? Surely if you have worked on finesse shots and feel confident in playing it in the right situation then that's the shot to play. I understand what you're saying. As I said I would only play the extended pitch and run on certain holes at my club and it's a calculated risk but in windy conditions often worth taking

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is the full shot always the easiest, especially down wind? Surely if you have worked on finesse shots and feel confident in playing it in the right situation then that's the shot to play...

Let's not bring terms like finesse shots into things!

If you know how far the balls going to run when it lands on the green from a full shot, and that distance is such that you can land a ball on the green, then it by definition the easiest shot - it has the least variables (on landing and in the trajectory of the ball for any given combination of club and distance hit through the air).

At this time of year there are few shots (in the range being discussed) that can't be landed on the green to stop in time (well there's probably one somewhere but there's actually none on our course) and even if there were, you would probably have to clear some feature on your way to the pin.

So why hit half an 8 115yds instead of a natural wedge?

Now, if the question is expanded to include whether it's a good idea to be able to play such shots (and more) and therefore learn and practice them etc then the answer is obviously yes, because there are times and conditions where they can provide an edge.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site

If you know how far the balls going to run when it lands on the green from a full shot, and that distance is such that you can land a ball on the green, then it by definition the easiest shot - it has the least variables (on landing and in the trajectory of the ball for any given combination of club and distance hit through the air).

At this time of year there are few shots (in the range being discussed) that can't be landed on the green to stop in time (well there's probably one somewhere but there's actually none on our course) and even if there were, you would probably have to clear some feature on your way to the pin.

Now, if the question is expanded to include whether it's a good idea to be able to play such shots (and more) and therefore learn and practice them etc then the answer is obviously yes, because there are times and conditions where they can provide an edge.

A natural wedge for me has much more dispersion left and right than hitting a half shot with a 7 or 8 iron.

If I have 115 yards, and asked what I feel like I can hit the green with more often, it would be a half 8 iron.

Of course if there is water or a bunker guarding the front it is a different story.

Just try some of these shots next time at the range. Hit you 7 iron with the same motion you would hit a sand wedge 50 yards. See what happens, some people might be pleasantly surprised.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I understand what you're saying and to a degree I agree with your points. Of course in normal circumstances I'd play a full shot into a green and that is the percentage. However as I've said there are times when you get out of position off the tee and have to lay up short, the conditions dictate, especially trying to stop a shot straight down wind when a finesse or less than full shot is the better option. As I think I've said before, I learned to play long pitch and run shots at the beginning of my golfing journey so perhaps it's a shot I'be learned and trust. I also said, there are only a couple of holes on my course that you can really take this kind of shot on

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
A natural wedge for me has much more dispersion left and right than hitting a half shot with a 7 or 8 iron.

If I have 115 yards, and asked what I feel like I can hit the green with more often, it would be a half 8 iron.

it does sound like you need to review what constitutes a natural shot - that sort of dispersion shouldn't be happening if you are capable of consistently hitting half shots straight.

The half shot is much harder to time consistently

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
it does sound like you need to review what constitutes a natural shot - that sort of dispersion shouldn't be happening if you are capable of consistently hitting half shots straight.

The half shot is much harder to time consistently

I don't agree.
With a bit of practice it's a relatively easy shot to hit consistently