Hitting 6/7/8 Pitch swings for 40 to 130yards

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Has anyone else experimented with not hitting wedges in the 130 yard and in region, and instead just hitting a small pitch motion to carry the ball on the green and let it roll to the hole?

I have been doing it for a few weeks now and it has transformed that area of my game. From 80 yards out I feel like I can pitch an 8 iron onto the green and get it to stop nearish the hole almost every time, while with my normal wedge shot anything is possible, especially if the lie is not the best.

We have a 130 yard downhill par 3 of the winter tee, this has been a Pitching wedge for me to the middle of the green, but with bunkers on each side I have not been hitting it that much.

I tried a 6 iron yesterday and just a little pitch motion flick hit a few balls on no problem, with a back flag they all rolled close to it.

Feels like it really simplifies that part of the game for me, be interested to know anyone else'e experience.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not from that far. Would surely take a heck of a lot of practise to get your distance judgement right with it? I often use 8 iron for chip in runs, only from 5 or 10 yards short of the green though.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes (but avoiding the flick hit bit!) - and i don't hit any wedge 130yds...

Generally it simply makes more sense to me to minimise the potential variation on landing and use a single repeatable swing most of the time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dasit, Can you put spin on the ball? I can't so would not be able to get the ball to stop using this method. Luckily, this is not the worst part of my game so I don't need to re-invent it. Good on you for finding a different method that works for you.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My only issue with this would be swing a bit too far back and either decelerating into the ball or air airmailing the green.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I enjoy playing this type of shot.
I think of using a half swing but with 2 more clubs, so a normal 8 iron shot becomes a half swing with a 6 iron.
It does take a bit of practice and experiment but can be very effective, especially in windy conditions

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A good shot to have for playing links courses if there's no bunkers to go over and you don't have to stop the ball too quickly (y).
EDIT- But you will have to learn to play high/chip/ flop shots at some point :eek:

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My teacher taught me only put the short shots in the air when absolutely nessesary, over bunkers , water etc.
It’s easier to judge roll than spin.
I play this shot a lot when I have a clear path.
Just keep practicing both shots so you can play both when required.

Wolf

Visit site
Simple answer is yes.

Much like clubchamp98 above when I first started I was taught that the ball only needs to fly all the way when there's is a carry required, plus growing up I wasn't a long player so learnt how you use roll and lie of the land to my advantage as I got older and a bit longer even being able to carry a ball all to a target my default is to revert to a more controlled shot that is lower and rolls out.

Am just as happy hitting an 8iron 130yards as I am a wedge, growing up learning that way I've found has given me more options for aproach play and scoring.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like to use they type shots in the summer, get much better results. I can use it in the winter at my place just need to judge the carry distance better as sometimes it can just stop in the softer conditions.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like to use they type shots in the summer, get much better results. I can use it in the winter at my place just need to judge the carry distance better as sometimes it can just stop in the softer conditions.
Agree here as I play a parkland , but I won’t play this unless I can land it on the green
I usually take the club that will land just on the green and run out to the flag.
Great when it works but you look stupid if you get it a bit wrong when it’s wet.

Visit site
I do this on a regular basis. Little half swings, lower more penetrating ball flight and stops quickly. I normally can hit 50° full out about 120, but I’d play a 9 instead. Once you get length of swing and speed dialled in then 8 for me goes 130, 7 for 140 and so on. I’ve been hitting PW 46° for 70-80yd shots as well.
It just gives you more shot options for you.

dronfield

Visit site
I have used this method reasonably successfully for shorter distances, 30 -70 yards, when i have been going through fazes of shanking wedges with 1/2 & 3/4 length swings.
The ball obviously goes in lower, and when landing short of the green you are reliant on a friendly bounce.

Rich

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
pretty pointless playing this at this time of the year for parkland. granted hitting a couple of clubs more easy to keep the flight down is useful but running them all the way from 100+ yards isn't really the best idea right now.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do want to start playing with this. My short game can be atrocious at times, so would be good to work on different flights with wedges and 7/8/9.

When I get my swing into check a little bit more, and then have a bit more unrestricted access to a GC2, then I’ll be all over it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Growing up playing on Wimbledon Common with its small greens and dry runny conditions I learned to play 100 yard chip and run shots very early on. With the wind up and gusty at the weekend I employed that shot several times with a 6 iron from 100 yards or so out to very good effect. I am not a great fan of little half shots unless its with the wedges and never really have the mental committment to effectively using a 7/8 and not overly hitting it. Having worked on my pitching a lot I am more confident with the wedges and judging distances and changing flights accordingly. Nothing wrong if you can hit the mid irons these shorter distances and definitely a shot worth having in the armoury

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Back in the days when I used to practice and we had a practice ground my favourite short iron practice was to place a target at 100 yards and hit ten balls with every iron to the target.

I then used to hit ten ball with a pitching wedge to the target, move forward five yards and hit another ten balls, move forward another 5 yards and so on.

In those days I also had a bucket of 100+ worn balls of exactly the same type as I used to play with which helps with consistency.