Hitting Fat Shots

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Evening,

I'm having an absolute nightmare on the course at the minute, and close to giving up!

I cant stop fatting shots, and I'm at my wits end!

Had a lesson on Tuesday, and my main problem was highlighted as rolling my hands off at the top of the swing, and reverse pivoting.......well I feel like I've ironed this out, but I'm fatting everything at the minute.

I think its down to the reverse pivoting still :(

Any ideas??

Last edited:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
when you get to the top of the backswing does your head move downwards some & nearer to, or over the ball, even to be atop the frontside of the ball along with a bunch of bend in your lead knee?

or atop the backswing does your head tend to move back off the ball some, a ways trailside so more past or atop your trail foot?

do you get a heavy bunch of wear through high in palm of the glove?

Last edited:

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
when you get to the top of the backswing does your head move downwards some & nearer to, or over the ball, even to be atop the frontside of the ball along with a bunch of bend in your lead knee?

or atop the backswing does your head tend to move back off the ball some, a ways trailside so more past or atop your trail foot?

do you get a heavy bunch of wear through high in palm of the glove?

Not sure about all the other points. But i do know I try to emphasise the bend in my left knee (right handed golfer) to trigger the downswing.

I'll try and check the other things out tomorrow when I'm swinging

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
when you do a checkover - & you get to the atop the swing see if you can lift your left foot up any off the ground or is that not possible because it's more the left leg supporting the majority of the weight?

& at & after impact is the majority of the weight all on the right leg?

if both of these feel like they are happening.

try setting-up with a 7i ball on a low tee

then in the takeaway & backswing 'turn' to the top feel the head stays pretty level
feel the flex in both knees stays pretty much the same
& the set-up angle of the hips stays pretty much the same so a feeling of a pants belt staying more level as you turn to the top so the right leg doesn't 'lock out' dead straight

then from the top feel first move is pressing the left foot smoothly into the ground (as if you got a small sponge with little water in under that foot so smooth continuous pressure to squeeze it out)
head stays centered & swing through to a real full finish, hands above the left shoulder & you'd be showing the sole of your right foot to someone standing dtl behind you, right knee up to left knee

feel throughout the swing that the last three fingers of the left hand continue to have a firm hold on the handle - especially at the top of the swing

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
when you do a checkover - & you get to the atop the swing see if you can lift your left foot up any off the ground or is that not possible because it's more the left leg supporting the majority of the weight?

& at & after impact is the majority of the weight all on the right leg?

if both of these feel like they are happening.

try setting-up with a 7i ball on a low tee

then in the takeaway & backswing 'turn' to the top feel the head stays pretty level
feel the flex in both knees stays pretty much the same
& the set-up angle of the hips stays pretty much the same so a feeling of a pants belt staying more level as you turn to the top so the right leg doesn't 'lock out' dead straight

then from the top feel first move is pressing the left foot smoothly into the ground (as if you got a small sponge with little water in under that foot so smooth continuous pressure to squeeze it out)
head stays centered & swing through to a real full finish, hands above the left shoulder & you'd be showing the sole of your right foot to someone standing dtl behind you, right knee up to left knee

feel throughout the swing that the last three fingers of the left hand continue to have a firm hold on the handle - especially at the top of the swing

Thanks coach ill give that a try :thup:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Place a second ball about 12'' behind your target ball and try and hit your target ball without hitting the other ball

[video=youtube;bJ2oBmW37eY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ2oBmW37eY&index=11&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3 OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW[/video]