Hit the best shot I ever hit the other night!!!

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have to share as still thinking about it- obviously being an amateur there's possibly a bit of luck on all the mechanics working in harmony(for a change) to hit the perfect shot but this was a thing of beauty.

context- was a doubles tie and after a bad drive on our S.I 2 I was behind a group of trees blocking path to the green, the opposing player hit his 2nd shot up over the hill and looked to be on the green- we were both stroking so I had to hit the green too.

When I got to my ball I seen there was an avenue about 5 foot wide between 8 trees- 4 on either side. My ball was about 15 feet back..... nothing special there but the branches were low so couldn't hit it high but once through the trees there was a large hill before green so it had to rise after it got through the trees and the back of the green was 202 yards away. Took my 3 iron out- an acorn on the ground was giving me perfect aim through the trees, ball further back in stance, hit it as hard as I could to get the height I needed it went arrow straight and rose like a phoenix from the flames up towards the green, obviously I was obscured so didn't see until I got up but had ran 5 feet off the back of the green. The result wasn't great I chipped on and 2 putted; OP 2 putted and won the hole but honestly I don't know if I will ever hit a sweeter shot than my 2nd- in stroke play I don't even think I would have taken it on! It felt even better than my only Hole in one just for the sheer beauty.

So what's your best shot ever? What was the context and did you win the hole?

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have to share as still thinking about it- obviously being an amateur there's possibly a bit of luck on all the mechanics working in harmony(for a change) to hit the perfect shot but this was a thing of beauty.

context- was a doubles tie and after a bad drive on our S.I 2 I was behind a group of trees blocking path to the green, the opposing player hit his 2nd shot up over the hill and looked to be on the green- we were both stroking so I had to hit the green too.

When I got to my ball I seen there was an avenue about 5 foot wide between 8 trees- 4 on either side. My ball was about 15 feet back..... nothing special there but the branches were low so couldn't hit it high but once through the trees there was a large hill before green so it had to rise after it got through the trees and the back of the green was 202 yards away. Took my 3 iron out- an acorn on the ground was giving me perfect aim through the trees, ball further back in stance, hit it as hard as I could to get the height I needed it went arrow straight and rose like a phoenix from the flames up towards the green, obviously I was obscured so didn't see until I got up but had ran 5 feet off the back of the green. The result wasn't great I chipped on and 2 putted; OP 2 putted and won the hole but honestly I don't know if I will ever hit a sweeter shot than my 2nd- in stroke play I don't even think I would have taken it on! It felt even better than my only Hole in one just for the sheer beauty.

at my old club I was playing in a match against another club.
A/S going down the 17th and I pulled my drive left into the trees

I had to play a shot similar to yours but had to basically hook the ball round because there was water to the right of the green.
Had about 185 and the pin was tucked behind a bunker.
I absolutely went at the ball and flew it with almost a hook shape but flew high once it got up.

Ball landed about 10 foot short of the hole and ran up to two feet for a birdie.

Another honourable mention is an eagle I had when I was about 14/15 years old.
Hit an 8 iron from about 140 yards out and landed it straight in the hole!

Vardon11LDN

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My best shot ever was on the 18th at Brockett Hall on the Melbourne course. I hit a decent drive on the fairway but slightly right. Was left with 190 yards to the pin with a shot over the lake. I hit the sweetest 5 Hybrid I have ever hit to 4ft from the pin. Unfortunately with the crossing I had 20 minutes to think about holing my putt for my first ever Eagle. Missed the putt but got the Birdie and won the hole. Was a little deflated as I don't get too many 4 footers for Eagle. Still stands out as my best single shot.

Vardon11LDN

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Sounds like a great shot. My recovery play is appalling

D

Deleted member 18121

I've probably hit "better" shots, but the one that stands out for me was a real pressure shot that I got right.

I was in a pairs match and the opposing team tee'd off first and hit the fairway, laying up short of a river on a long par 5.

My partner hit driver hoping to clear the river (carry of 255)....he hooked it horribly into some trees, little chance of finding it. What I should have done is also layed up.....but being a big burly man :)whistle:) I pulled out the big stick and hit a near on 300 yard drive bang down the middle.

We still lost the hole, but it was a great pressure drive.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
205 yard 5 wood into a slight breeze, green had front bunkers I needed to carry but I caught it perfectly and the wind helped it land soft about 10ft from the hole. Missed the birdie putt obviously.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
My best shot was a recovery shot with a 9iron. A long hook had ended me up on the winter tee box of a neighbouring hole, maybe 60 yards left of the green I had been aiming at. There were trees in the way that were too high to hit over them. Going under the branches wasn't a good option either, because I had to play over a large bunker to reach the green. But there was one small gap in the branches above, almost like a window. I judged the angle I needed and decided that the 9iron should do the trick. I hit it with maybe a 3/4 swing, it went through the small gap, hit the green about 6 feet beside the flag and stopped almost immediately. It was a one in a million shot and I hit it perfect and exactly as I had pictured it. (Needless to say that my playing partners weren't even paying attention, both being in trouble of their own. They appreciated the result, but they had no idea how magically that shot had acutally played out.)

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
About six weeks ago I hit my drive into the trees on our first hole. I was about 145 yards from the hole but could only hit it at an angle of about 45 degrees to the green between two trees that were only three foot apart (aiming well to the left of the green).
I decided to use a three quarter swing with my 6 iron in order to keep it under the trees and also try to cut it at the same time.
It was a beautiful sight to see the ball go straight through the gap, stay just 6ft above ground and then start to curl in a lovely arc towards the green. It stopped just 3 ft from the pin.

The worst thing was not a single one of our fourball apart from me witnessed it. :(
Missed the bloody putt as well!

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My best shot was a recovery shot with a 9iron. A long hook had ended me up on the winter tee box of a neighbouring hole, maybe 60 yards left of the green I had been aiming at. There were trees in the way that were too high to hit over them. Going under the branches wasn't a good option either, because I had to play over a large bunker to reach the green. But there was one small gap in the branches above, almost like a window. I judged the angle I needed and decided that the 9iron should do the trick. I hit it with maybe a 3/4 swing, it went through the small gap, hit the green about 6 feet beside the flag and stopped almost immediately. It was a one in a million shot and I hit it perfect and exactly as I had pictured it. (Needless to say that my playing partners weren't even paying attention, both being in trouble of their own. They appreciated the result, but they had no idea how magically that shot had acutally played out.)

Sounds seve like :-D with mine all seen it but the OP's weren't at an angle to see how good a shot it was... my father on the other hand was right behind me and I actually hit the shot pretty quick as I was expecting him to tell me not to be daft with taking it on.

It really is the great thing about this game that occasionally you can hit a shot even the best pro's would be proud of; albeit they hit them a million times more consistently!