Hirsel gone

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Noooooo. That's incredibly sad. I played there just a few weeks ago. A pleasure as always. Hopefully it can somehow come out of this and survive.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is unbelievably sad. A great course that was always on our annual trip list. I hope that some sort of rescue plan or sale can be found as it would be a massive loss to Scottish golf if it went.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Pretty annoying if you were heading up there today or yesterday to play the Senior Scramble though - should have been sorted at least a day or two earlier surely?

Might have saved some people a bit more than just losing their entry fee.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Pretty annoying if you were heading up there today or yesterday to play the Senior Scramble though - should have been sorted at least a day or two earlier surely?

Fair point. The writing must have been on the wall for a while, so holding the AGM and making the decision the day before the Open isn’t great timing.

I’ve never played it, but only ever heard good things about it, hopefully it can be saved.

Springveldt

Visit site

Absolutely shocking imho. Waiting to have the AGM right before an open and then shutting up shop is very poor. They must have known for a while this was on the cards to close instantly.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

Notice needs to be given for the meeting to be held. Its likely that the decision to go into insolvency was made around 21 days previous. Unfortunate timing but whenever it happens it's going to adversely effect some people.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Notice needs to be given for the meeting to be held. Its likely that the decision to go into insolvency was made around 21 days previous. Unfortunate timing but whenever it happens it's going to adversely effect some people.
You could argue the writing must have been on the wall much earlier than that so surely a look at forthcoming events could have planned it better but I guess there is never a good time to go bust

PaulMdj

Visit site
They shouldn’t have been advertising Opens during this period though surely, they have another 2 after todays!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
You could argue the writing must have been on the wall much earlier than that so surely a look at forthcoming events could have planned it better but I guess there is never a good time to go bust
Not knowing the facts, there is a possibility that, at the AGM, a proposal was made to avert the bankruptcy, for example a levy on the members, but this was unacceptable to the members, who voted against it. It would be useful to hear from someone who attended the AGM.

Reactions: Val

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My own club came out of insolvency after about 6 months. The key was the insolvency guy put in charge of the case was a golfer and so he knew to keep paying the greenkeepers. Maintain the course, you have a chance.

It's such an enjoyable place to play. The 10th hole, a 90yd par 3 off the top of a hill to the green below, is one of my favourite holes in all golf.

Fingers crossed it survives.

PaulMdj

Visit site
If they were trying to survive they're not going to reduce their chances by turning away income. See post #12 above.
Cheers for that, although morally they could of been asking members for money with the member being told the full facts, visitors would have no clue that they are risking their money.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
My own club came out of insolvency after about 6 months. The key was the insolvency guy put in charge of the case was a golfer and so he knew to keep paying the greenkeepers. Maintain the course, you have a chance.

It's such an enjoyable place to play. The 10th hole, a 90yd par 3 off the top of a hill to the green below, is one of my favourite holes in all golf.

Fingers crossed it survives.
There may well be a plan in place to resurrect the club if the club directors had enough time to arrange it. This alternative may have been put to the members.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Shame but I’m sure most of us have been around long enough to realise that whether it’s a business selling a golf Open, society booking or a fitted kitchen, house full of carpets etc etc it doesn’t follow the person making the sale even knows what’s going on and even if they do then the business keeps trading as normal until it isn’t

Reactions: Val

Golfnut1957

Visit site
It's quite scary that such a popular and well established club can go under. I don't know what the membership situation is, but in terms of visitors, and despite being off the beaten track, it appeared to be immensely popular, which makes its closure quite bewildering.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's quite scary that such a popular and well established club can go under. I don't know what the membership situation is, but in terms of visitors, and despite being off the beaten track, it appeared to be immensely popular, which makes its closure quite bewildering.
It seems strange to an outsider that such a popular club has gone. Was it poorly managed, spent too lavishly or simply didn't have the numbers to make it viable?