Hip Turn on Backswing

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lately I've been turning my hips at he same time as my arms and shoulders sometimes causing a pull or a hook, especially with the driver
My question is do most players turn arms and shoulders first and let the hips turn as required with resistance, I think this is known as torque
The last couple of evening sessions on a pretty deserted course I've just concentrated on this hip resistance with improved results with my irons, often hitting a draw and the strike felt more solid
I'll be interested to see if anyone has any views on this

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
hips have to turn for the spine/upper body to turn to at, or near 90º - unless there's some tour player kinda hyper flexibility.

as with everything in the golf swing it's when & how much. (so 45º to 90º being a guide atop the swing)

if hips turn as part of the first move away that can lead to folks over rotating both the hips & upper body in the full swing & the swing then can get overlong & across the line, with the lead arm breaking down at the elbow.

if the arm triangle with chest & the shoulders can just start the takeback motion (lead arm biceps staying lightly in contact with the lead pec) - & the hips staying quiet until the hands at, or just past the trail thigh that will help to give a good opportunity for the body to be in a good position atop the swing - so somewhere close to 45º/90º with the club shaft in good shape.
then with a sound start down, lower body first, gives a real good chance of pretty good impact conditions.

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great advice as usual coach. Should you feel that the lower muscles are being stretched rather than just turning with no resistance?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
in the backswing the weight pressure moves into the ground through the rotation of the upper body, that weight turns into the trail leg/foot with a downwards pressure into the ground.

so the weight never passes a 'center line' (toes to heel) of the trail foot - because the predominant movement is rotary the weight at the top of the swing is along the inside to centre line & into the heel.
do this good & there will be a bunch of pressure into the inside of the trail thigh, the trail glute/butt cheek will have rotated towards target - not moved aways from.

important the weight is not shifted laterally past the trail foot's center line, neither the trail knee or hip moved over outside edge of the trail foot.

good ways to feel the motion - just cross the arms over the chest & turn in posture to feel the upper body rotate with weight pressure into the trail leg but not over the center line of the trail foot, to do this the initial movement of the trail shoulder is turning/rotating behind the heel & butt, a 'feeling' the shoulder is turning behind the ear.

in a good upper body rotation & weight pressure movement there is a resistance into the trail leg.
{you imagine the 'tag' at the centerback of the collar of a golf shirt, imagine that tags 'position' at set up, the rotation then moves the tag a little ways nearer to target, it doesn't move that tag aways from target.}