Hindhead vs Blackmoor

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
If you take West Hill out of the equation then I'd go to Blackmoor (and would if only I lived closer). Seem to remember they had a big field down the side road the 8th (par five?) although not sure if it actually had any targets from memory. I do seem to recall a covered mat thing the pro obviously used for lessons but definitely somewhere to hit balls. Again not sure about a short game area. As a club I have always had the warmest of welcomes, the food has always been good and the members very friendly and helpful
We do have targets, but the pro generally uses grass for hiis lessons. You could have another three holes on the practice ground, but as you say it is a field so they wouldn't be very interesting.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We have a longer practice ground, and easier to get to !! Covered mats, or you can just hit off grass. Ball machine, so don't need your own balls. We also hacve a chipping green with bunkers, proper putting green etc. This information has been told to me, as I don't use them.:eek:

Don't think there is a lot of difference in quality of two courses, which shows in the rankings. Blackmoor is a much easier walk though, and if you play in the evening you can skip between holes, and you are never far from the clubhouse. Both have decent halfway huts, and average carparks ! Our pro shop is much better, and clubhouse facilities are similar. We have probably the best drainage in the area, so winter golf is not a problem. Hindhead's front nine can suffer in heavy rain, especially holes running through the valley.

Alll in all, you couldn't go wrong with either course.(y)

Wow, think I’ll join myself ??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We do have targets, but the pro generally uses grass for hiis lessons. You could have another three holes on the practice ground, but as you say it is a field so they wouldn't be very interesting.
Not trying to be dispariging by "just a field" but I remember the first time I went over there before a GM meet that was literally all it was. I remember when HawkeyeMS joined for a while and was having lessons he said it was better especially the covered mats. I didn't know you even had a short game area. Where's that? On the field as well

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
If you take West Hill out of the equation then I'd go to Blackmoor (and would if only I lived closer). Seem to remember they had a big field down the side road the 8th (par five?) although not sure if it actually had any targets from memory. I do seem to recall a covered mat thing the pro obviously used for lessons but definitely somewhere to hit balls. Again not sure about a short game area. As a club I have always had the warmest of welcomes, the food has always been good and the members very friendly and helpful
Thanks Homer ??

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
We have a longer practice ground, and easier to get to !! Covered mats, or you can just hit off grass. Ball machine, so don't need your own balls. We also hacve a chipping green with bunkers, proper putting green etc. This information has been told to me, as I don't use them.:eek:

Don't think there is a lot of difference in quality of two courses, which shows in the rankings. Blackmoor is a much easier walk though, and if you play in the evening you can skip between holes, and you are never far from the clubhouse. Both have decent halfway huts, and average carparks ! Our pro shop is much better, and clubhouse facilities are similar. We have probably the best drainage in the area, so winter golf is not a problem. Hindhead's front nine can suffer in heavy rain, especially holes running through the valley.

Alll in all, you couldn't go wrong with either course.(y)
Thanks again Richart, giving them a ring in the morning as well as hindhead with a view to having a look around at both as they’re not too far apart.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Not trying to be dispariging by "just a field" but I remember the first time I went over there before a GM meet that was literally all it was. I remember when HawkeyeMS joined for a while and was having lessons he said it was better especially the covered mats. I didn't know you even had a short game area. Where's that? On the field as well
It is a field, rented off the local farmer ! the short game area is to the right of the 8th fairway as you look from the clubhouse. Practice ground is on the left. There is a 60 yard pitching area, and then a green with two bunkers from memory, and chipping area. You can see it to the left of the 11th tee, which is how I know it is there.:)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Farnham is the same (as you know ?) but one thing we’ve thought recently given the success of our junior and ladies academies is to set out three par3s on our practice ground that academy members can get going on. Not heard anything recently on that front - instead we’ve invested in building three large teeing grounds with each incorporating an AstroTurf area for when the grass need a rest. These along with our two covered bays, an indoor swing studio, and superb pitch/chipping ground makes for excellent practice/teaching facilities.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Farnham is the same (as you know ?) but one thing we’ve thought recently given the success of our junior and ladies academies is to set out three par3s on our practice ground that academy members can get going on. Not heard anything recently on that front - instead we’ve invested in building three large teeing grounds with each incorporating an AstroTurf area for when the grass need a rest. These along with our two covered bays, an indoor swing studio, and superb pitch/chipping ground makes for excellent practice/teaching facilities.
Thanks Hogan, Farnham definitely on the short list too, thoroughly enjoyed our round. Hard to believe that was 2 years ago!!!

D

Deleted member 21258

In respect of West Hill and winter conditions, we played in over this winter and its wasn't a perfect draining course(for a heathland). IIRC one of the other Ws was closed as well due to drainage(sorry cant remember which one my son phoned first). Maybe all in that area are like that during winter ?

We had a number of plugged balls and there were a few areas of like a parkland(muddiness), that said it was more than playable and vastly better than parklands generally but it did take me by surprise, as its the first heathland I have played that was muddy at all.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
In respect of West Hill and winter conditions, we played in over this winter and its wasn't a perfect draining course(for a heathland). IIRC one of the other Ws was closed as well due to drainage(sorry cant remember which one my son phoned first). Maybe all in that area are like that during winter ?

We had a number of plugged balls and there were a few areas of like a parkland(muddiness), that said it was more than playable and vastly better than parklands generally but it did take me by surprise, as its the first heathland I have played that was muddy at all.

We had the wettest winter in memory just gone around here, not really the best one to judge general winter play on. Woking was definitely closed a couple of times, not sure but would think Worplesdon was too

In an average winter they would all barely ever close and certainly no mud or standing water around