Hindhead vs Blackmoor

dougieb

Medal Winner
Visit site
This is my first post on this forum and I'm looking for some advice on joining either Hindhead or Blackmoor golf clubs. A couple of years ago I moved to Churt and subsequently I haven't been playing regular golf. Prior to that, I have held membership at Guildford GC, Merrist Wood and Wildwood. When I left Guildford a couple of years back I was playing off 10 and enjoyed playing in regular medals / comps.

I've started missing the golf so I'm thinking of joining either Hindhead or Blackmoor, I haven't played either of the courses yet but I understand that both are of a good standard. Since moving to Churt I've got to know a good number of locals / neighbours but none play golf, as such I'm looking to understand how friendly the membership is at both these clubs. Are there regular roll ups ? Are the members friendly ?

When I've joined my previous clubs it's always been with a group of friends, however, this time it will be different as I'll be joining on my own. Thanks

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ask (PM) Richart

He may be slightly biased toward Blackmoor though! :D

I think there's a thread about possible Hindhead membership, so do a search.

Last edited:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Simple answer is both are brilliant tracks. You can't go wrong with both as they are a step above the tracks you mention. A bit more costly, but privacy and quality are in abundance. Hindhead members are largely fine and have a great teaching set-up. Greens are stunning.

Richart will be along soon to talk about Blackmoor!

dougieb

Medal Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys, I'm favouring Hindhead as it's almost on my door steep but I have heard a lot of good things about Blackmoor. I'll wait for Richart's unbiased opinion ;)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys, I'm favouring Hindhead as it's almost on my door steep but I have heard a lot of good things about Blackmoor. I'll wait for Richart's unbiased opinion ;)

I'm popping up there (Hindhead) this pm to practice short game! I think there's some offer or discount on regarding joining fee at the mo...worth checking the website or phoning pro shop.

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi

I live in Churt, and play a fair bit. I recently have been looking at joining Hindhead (there is a thread on here that I started). I checked out Hindhead and checked out Blackmoor. Richard was also a very good source of help as he has played all courses in the area far to much.

In my personal opinion Hindhead is the choice, a lovely course in immaculate condition, everyone seemed friendly enough and the facilities are brilliant. What Hindhead has over Blackmoor for ME personally is that:
1) Hindhead is much closer
2) I prefer the course, from what I saw, especially the greens
3) The practise facilities are much better
4) It looked busier, with a really nice bar area and I can have a beer or 7 and then stumble home

What some people have complained about with Hindhead is that its a fair walk, with a lot of uphill and downhill, but I am fairly fit and that isn't a problem at all. If you want to get a round in sometime or just have a chat about what the deal is locally, then PM me and I will send you my mobile

Cheers

dougieb

Medal Winner
Visit site
GeneralStore - thanks for the detailed reply. I've also read through the thread that you started back in January - very helpful. I think Hindhead is out front at the moment, it ticks all the boxes and is on my doorstep. Thanks for the offer of a round - I'll definitely drop you a PM.

cheers

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
GeneralStore - thanks for the detailed reply. I've also read through the thread that you started back in January - very helpful. I think Hindhead is out front at the moment, it ticks all the boxes and is on my doorstep. Thanks for the offer of a round - I'll definitely drop you a PM.

cheers

I have to agree that Hindhead is the course to join of the 2, both are brilliant though! Hindhead's greens are pretty much the best around (along with Liphook) and the front 9 has to be some of the best holes you could play.

I am sure you will love wherever you join though!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Just got back from holiday so only just seen this thread.

Both are lovely courses and are ranked very close together. Personally think Blackmoor is a better members Club. Hindhead has all the views and is spread over a wide area, where as Blackmoor is tight, holes close together. and a typical Colt course. Our greens are second only to Liphook in the area, and our drainage is the best. Last winter apart from the snow, we were closed for one day through rain. I never played on winter greens, tees etc, and as members we always play off the whites.

I personally would play both courses before choosing. We do membership days on a regular basis, which give you a chance to play the course and meet the committee etc. We have roll ups nearly every day, including a big one on Saturday morning. No problems in getting to meet members to play with. No tee booking so just turn up and play.

I play Hindhead twice a year in charity days, and enjoy the course but always come away thinking I wouldn't want to be a member. Perhaps it is the hills that put me off !!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
George just noticed your comments.

Greens, not so sure ? My mate that recently joined Blackmoor after 30 years at Hindhead and reckons ours are better all year round. Practice facilities ? We have a huge practice ground that not even a forumer could reach the end of.:whistle: We also have a pitching area, and practice green with bunkers for chiping. Our practice putting green is not up to Hindheads, so I will give you that one !! I would mention that I never use these facilities but have seen them. Busy bar ? Our bar stays open until at least half an hour after it gets dark, and longer when busy, which is often the case. You are right that Hindhead is closer.:ears:

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Richard you need to get a tattoo of the Blackmoor crest on your facilities! Haha

Seriously though, I didn't think you had a range?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Richard you need to get a tattoo of the Blackmoor crest on your facilities! Haha

Seriously though, I didn't think you had a range?
I am told it is the other side of the track that runs down the 9th. We rent it for £10,000 a year.:eek:

Not sure I want a tattoo of an old dog on my facilities thank you very much George.:p

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have never heard it called an old dog before, but whatever turns you on

10,000 is a fair bit, when I got shown around I only saw the short game area, so maybe it was added subsequently? That's nice that they have one though.

dougieb

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks everyone - is there a decent range at Hindhead ? The practice range at Guildford wasn't great - very short with a lack of flat lies. With two young children time is limited but can always grab an hour or so to hit balls if a round isn't practical - therefore the practice facilities are important. Sounds like I need to play both courses.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would have imagined that both clubs had lengthy waiting lists, or have things changed sooo much.

yes, they have changed a lot!

as to another opinion.......if one's next door then join it. Both are good courses, both have weaker holes. I would give Hindhead the edge on greens, but that's based on limited Blackmoor experience!

both struck me as fundementally 'nice' clubs; although I would probably spend more time in the bar/terrace at HIndhead (this may, or may not be, a good thing!

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dougie, I cant speak for the range at Blackmoor because I havent seen it, but the Hindhead range is great. You hit off grass, which for me is a massive plus and its long enough to take driver. You can buy tokens from the pro shop and then just help yourself to balls whenever you want to use it...late at night or early in the morning before work, depending on when you practise etc...

The only thing I would say is that its quite a walk from the pro shop/clubhouse and some people actually drive there, which isn't great. Their short game area is also top notch

There are no waiting lists anywhere in the area at the moment, Hindhead definitely not, and apparently even Hankley doesnt have a waiting list

dougieb

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have an interview with the Captain of Hindhead this coming Friday - look forward to being shown around he facilities. George, I've sent you a PM - thx.

dougieb

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ended up joining Hindhead, played the course and was really impressed with the layout and condition. I also rated the practice facilities. If Blackmoor had been a bit closer I would have given it serious consideration as I know it is highly rated.

As my handicap is inactive I need to submit 3 cards so will see just how challenging it is over the next few weeks.