Hindhead vs Blackmoor

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Thanks Sam.
Yes, West Hill is a no brainer. I’ve enquired, just hoping they have a bit of a deal going

I wouldn't hold too much hope for a deal! Over £4k I think to join. Might be completely wrong though

Cant speak for Hindhead but Blackmoor is great. Could very easily play there all the time

D

Deleted member 25172

How about Hankley? That’s better than both of them (although all 3 are great).

I’d pick Hindhead over blackmoor without a doubt

Just for fun I checked Hankley.

Annual subs at £2k which I’d expect, but a £6k joining fee. ?

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't hold too much hope for a deal! Over £4k I think to join. Might be completely wrong though

Cant speak for Hindhead but Blackmoor is great. Could very easily play there all the time
Yeah, I’m expecting this will be the case but doesn’t hurt to ask.
Sand Martins is a low joining fee but annual subs are the most expensive around at nearly 2.5k - I’d prefer a bigger joining fee and sensible subs which is what has lead me to blackmoor and hindhead

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
How about Hankley? That’s better than both of them (although all 3 are great).

I’d pick Hindhead over blackmoor without a doubt
I played hankley last year. Phenomenal! Worth every penny - I just don’t have that many pennies ?
Himdhead is inching it, has a long driving range And chipping green as well

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Hindhead probably more than most and know a few members. Hindhead is under a programme of improving some of its holes, the latest about to open is an improved hole 8, the long par three.

Have a look at this Hindhead website (not the main one): http://hgcgreenkeepingteam.blogspot.com

I don’t know about Blackmoor, so others will have to comment. Hankley is a great course but for me, only off the longer white tees.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Played Hindhead probably more than most and know a few members. Hindhead is under a programme of improving some of its holes, the latest about to open is an improved hole 8, the long par three.

Have a look at this Hindhead website (not the main one): http://hgcgreenkeepingteam.blogspot.com

I don’t know about Blackmoor, so others will have to comment. Hankley is a great course but for me, only off the longer white tees.
That’s excellent, thank you!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Love Blackmoor, for reasons we don’t talk about ?

Always thought that Hindhead was a little bit stuffier, but might be wrong, although I know Blackmoor is very welcoming and sociable.

Depends what you’re looking for.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Liphook, another stunner down there.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Love Blackmoor, for reasons we don’t talk about ?

Always thought that Hindhead was a little bit stuffier, but might be wrong, although I know Blackmoor is very welcoming and sociable.

Depends what you’re looking for.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Liphook, another stunner down there.
I did look at liphook, its just too far to travel. Hindhead and blackmoor really are on the limit being in woking. Google says around 30 minutes but that’s very conservative!
Anywhere will be better than where I am, just want a course that’s in good nick and isn’t maintained on a shoe string. Needs to have a range and chipping green.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you take West Hill out of the equation then I'd go to Blackmoor (and would if only I lived closer). Seem to remember they had a big field down the side road the 8th (par five?) although not sure if it actually had any targets from memory. I do seem to recall a covered mat thing the pro obviously used for lessons but definitely somewhere to hit balls. Again not sure about a short game area. As a club I have always had the warmest of welcomes, the food has always been good and the members very friendly and helpful

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I played hankley last year. Phenomenal! Worth every penny - I just don’t have that many pennies ?
Himdhead is inching it, has a long driving range And chipping green as well
We have a longer practice ground, and easier to get to !! Covered mats, or you can just hit off grass. Ball machine, so don't need your own balls. We also hacve a chipping green with bunkers, proper putting green etc. This information has been told to me, as I don't use them.:eek:

Don't think there is a lot of difference in quality of two courses, which shows in the rankings. Blackmoor is a much easier walk though, and if you play in the evening you can skip between holes, and you are never far from the clubhouse. Both have decent halfway huts, and average carparks ! Our pro shop is much better, and clubhouse facilities are similar. We have probably the best drainage in the area, so winter golf is not a problem. Hindhead's front nine can suffer in heavy rain, especially holes running through the valley.

Alll in all, you couldn't go wrong with either course.(y)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We have a longer practice ground, and easier to get to !! Covered mats, or you can just hit off grass. Ball machine, so don't need your own balls. We also hacve a chipping green with bunkers, proper putting green etc. This information has been told to me, as I don't use them.:eek:

Don't think there is a lot of difference in quality of two courses, which shows in the rankings. Blackmoor is a much easier walk though, and if you play in the evening you can skip between holes, and you are never far from the clubhouse. Both have decent halfway huts, and average carparks ! Our pro shop is much better, and clubhouse facilities are similar. We have probably the best drainage in the area, so winter golf is not a problem. Hindhead's front nine can suffer in heavy rain, especially holes running through the valley.

Can quite understand why Homer would be keen to join ??

Personally the 10th green needs digging up ??

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

I can vouch for Blackmoor's drainage.
Before Xmas I played with Rich and some others and it was very wet...but very playable..

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I can vouch for Blackmoor's drainage.
Before Xmas I played with Rich and some others and it was very wet...but very playable..
Think we were closed for one day over the winter, where as other local courses were closed much longer. Personally i play the cousrse as much in the winter as the summer.