higher lofted driver

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the oportunity to test out a new shaft, now I can either reshaft my current burner 2.0tp 10.5 or
I can get hold of a R9 11.5 degree 460 or Supertri, what effect do you think the extra loft will have?
I mean is I know it will launch higher but will it be noticabley shorter? reason I'm thinking this is I can turn
the 11.5 down to 10.5 if needs be (and yes I know it opens the face)
Currently hight is not an issue as I launch it high anyway.
Or should I get a 10.5 R9 of sorts and do a direct comparison?

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Currently playing 10.5, had 11.5 and 12 deg Pings before and very little difference in flight

Higher loft reduces the side spin slightly but distance is very close to the 10.5

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you launch it high then you dont need the 11.5 , stick to the same , get fitted as shafts are different and could give you different levels of spin etc etc

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The problem is that unless you really do 'make a direct comparison' there are so many subtle factors at play that you don't end up with the full picture.

As an example I have a 9.5 Burner TP, 9.5 Burner Superfast and 10.5 Burner Superfast 2.0 TP - each with the 'stock' S shaft in them. Want to guess which one launches highest in practical terms (I don't have trackman data)? It's the first listed, and the second 2 seem identical despite the additional loft and sitting slightly open for the last one listed. :confused:

So if you really want to try out the new shaft, get it fitted.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm going to be looking for a higher lofted driver for more forgiveness. I've mucked around with different models and various shafts but its time for something that's a bit more forgiving

V

vkurup

Surely there is an element of swing speed that needs to be considered.

When i was getting a new driver, my pro had a look at my swing. He suggested 'at your (slow) speed' go for a higher lofted driver and sold me a 12 degree Yonex driver. Worked fine for a while, but then i moved to a 10.5 Burner as I 'improved' my swing - but I think the whole thing is just a placebo effect. I have had good and bad days with both of them..

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm using a taylormade r11s 10.5 set at 12 degrees. Only have it a few weeks, before that used a Cleveland 10.5 deg.

Have seen a big distance increase since switching to 12 deg

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would never have thought about a 12 degree driver until the guy fitting me suggested it. He played around with the head settings and different shafts, eventually he found the best options for me. It has a Aldila NV 60 gram x-flex shaft, set at 12 deg and face open. seems to suit me so far.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dont get obsessed with the loft of the club. A lot will also depend on the shaft . . . .I hit a Callaway RAZR 9 degree driver with the Aldila RIP shaft higher than my Ping i20 with the ping tfc (both stiff).

Westwood's driver is 11.25 degree's btw !!