Hidden gems

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

Thought it might be a good idea to start a thread on this subject. Looking for those real 'under the radar' little gems that are well worth playing if you are in the area. Not interested in anything that appears on top 100 lists or anything well known, people already know about those courses. Useful if you can provide a bit of info on the course as well. I'll start with:

Bognor Regis in Sussex

Very pleasant parkland course with a good mix of testing holes and birdie chances. Always in decent condition, not long and enjoyable for all abilities. And only £35 a round midweek!

D

Deleted member 1418

Reigate Heath.

9-holer but with 18 different tees - beautiful in both spring and autumn. Lovely place to play golf; always in great nick.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ampfield Par 3 in Hampshire near Romsey.

Testing little course unusually featuring 18 distinct par 3 holes instead of a 9 with two sets of tees.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whitley Bay GC. Smashing parkland course often overlooked up here because it is neither links nor a flash club. Well worth playing if visiting the NE though.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good thread!!! +1 for Reigate Heath.

Can I throw in Burley golf club. 9 holes/18 tees, great greens, nice views. My favourite ‘forest’ course & Knighton Heath. Short, tight in parts, but a proper heathland test overshadowed by more illustrious neighbours

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played this little gem while over in Ireland a couple of years ago.

Laytown & Bettystown.

http://www.landb.ie

We play some top courses while we're away and also a few reasonable ones just to keep costs down. We played 36 on here and thoroughly enjoyed it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Good thread!!! +1 for Reigate Heath.

Can I throw in Burley golf club. 9 holes/18 tees, great greens, nice views.

Yes you can Nick, excellent little track! I recommended it to Jezz Ellwood when he was in the area, he was impressed with it too.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Branshaw GC in Oakworth just outside Keighley. Kept seeing it cheap on teeofftimes so thought it would a goat track but it's a fantastic course, loads of variety of holes, fantastic views and amazing steak pie and chips!

D

Deleted member 15344

Tadmarten Heath

I think it’s known to people but still would put it into the hidden gem category , it’s a great little track , some great holes with some brutal gorse , can get on for about £30

Harlestone Northampton

It’s just a cracking little course with some very pretty holes and one 600 yard par five - it’s all encased in an Old fort wall and then finishes with some holes over a big lake - highly recommended

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Branshaw GC in Oakworth just outside Keighley. Kept seeing it cheap on teeofftimes so thought it would a goat track but it's a fantastic course, loads of variety of holes, fantastic views and amazing steak pie and chips!

Great crack with the locals too!!!!!!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
One that always sticks in my head in Comrie. A 9 holer in Perthshire. You'll struggle to find a nicer course and setting for £20 per visitor fee.

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anstruther golf course - 9 hole course. Featuring a Par 3 called The Rockies (look it up). Toughest par 3 I have ever played.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Chesterfield GC (aka Walton). In a county (Derbyshire) not over-endowed with top golf courses, I was very impressed when I played Walton last weekend. Not the longest at just over 6200yds - but a nice variety of parkland holes, in lovely setting and in very nice condition. Splendid and warm welcome also.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One that always sticks in my head in Comrie. A 9 holer in Perthshire. You'll struggle to find a nicer course and setting for £20 per visitor fee.

Comrie was a wee 9 hole cracker - I've heard it is now an 18 hole cracker

And for Perthshire courses that used to be 9-holers - I'll throw in Dunkeld & Birnam (declare interest - was once a junior member). Not sure that extending it to 18 holes has improved it or diluted it's charm (not played it since it became 18). But it's setting is glorious.

Last edited:

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Brancepeth Castle in Durham (yes a little bias because its my home club but I love it more every time I play it)

Bamburgh on the Northumberland course - very enjoyable.

Tbh - I always feel aggrieved when I read the Golf mags and then NE is rarely mentioned - we have some great course's Bishop Auckland, Castle Eden, Seaton Carew, Hartlepool, South shields and many many more - the North east & Northumberland coastline is full of gems!