Hernia - advice required

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I need an operation to repair an inguinal hernia. It doesn't hurt, doesn't affect my golf but it will not go away so it needs attention. Any advice out there? I appear to have a choice of local or general anaesthetic, open or keyhole surgery. What's recovery like, how long were you unable to drive? When did you start playing golf again? Hopefully I'll be done in the depths of winter and won't miss much. Advice / experiences would be appreciated.[h=4][/h]

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ive had 3 hernia's , first one burst. In and out in the day. As soon as the stitches/clips were out was good to go. But take it easy everyone is different.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I need an operation to repair an inguinal hernia. It doesn't hurt, doesn't affect my golf but it will not go away so it needs attention. Any advice out there? I appear to have a choice of local or general anaesthetic, open or keyhole surgery. What's recovery like, how long were you unable to drive? When did you start playing golf again? Hopefully I'll be done in the depths of winter and won't miss much. Advice / experiences would be appreciated.[h=4][/h]

I'm carrying three around. Two on the right and one on the left. While it doesn't affect my golf and causing no pain I'm holding off, especially while the season is still in full flow. My GP is reluctant to put me forward for the op unless they get larger or begin to hurt. If I do I'll be like you and go for the winter. Been told it could be a minimum of 4-6 weeks and should be done under general and via keyhole

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I had an inguinal hernia a couple of years ago . I had keyhole surgery under general anaesthetic and was back playing golf just 2 weeks after I had the operation. I wouldn't go for the open surgery as the recovery time is much longer.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had one fixed when I was 11 but that was 50 years ago so not much help!

I apparently have a belly button hernia, it gets a bit sore but no plans for more surgery!

Good luck MIB

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had one in 1981 , not much to say except get it seen too asap and ask the doctor for advise re - when you can play etc etc

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had an inguinal hernia a couple of years ago . I had keyhole surgery under general anaesthetic and was back playing golf just 2 weeks after I had the operation. I wouldn't go for the open surgery as the recovery time is much longer.
Similar myself.
Double inguinal hernia,keyhole surgery,in and out in the day.
I took three weeks to be back golfing.
Very little discomfort,just for three or days.
Dewsweeper

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
My GP is reluctant to do it due to the cost involved unless it was causing major pain. Fortunately we've moved and I'm with a new surgery and so considering getting it done over the winter

I'm putting off seeing the GP while the season is active as well. Hoping to go and try and get it fitted in over the winter as well. One on each side and beginning to cause me discomfort so really should get them looked at before they become more problematic and, in the worst case, strangulate. Has started to affect my golf a bit as well because if they are a little bit sore then I end up trying to protect myself during the swing and the discomfort becomes very prominent in my mind. Just a case of getting time to see the G.P.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get them seen to as soon as possible. If they become strangulated it can/is life threatening. I left mine for ages and the surgeon played merry hell with me.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Well, it's taken me all this time to find a surgeon to do a keyhole op and a convenient time to have it done. Going in on Friday and looking forward to getting it out of the way. Weather & work wise timing couldn't be better so hopefully back in action in the New Year. Full report to follow.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site

My first one was 15 years ago, local anaesthetic, hurt like hell during the Op but I was in the pub that night and after hobbling/walking around I was doing exercise after a couple of weeks.

This year I had keyhole surgery under general anaesthetic, likewise I was hobbling around for a while but within two weeks I was hitting golf balls and in the gym doing light leg/squat exercises.

Funny note on keyhole surgery ::D
When I came around, my testicles were "propped up" so to speak. Unbeknown to me, a side effect was two very swollen and black sphericals that required extremely delicate sitting down, and the purchase of several pairs of supporting briefs, getting the right size was a bit of trial and error :D

I'm led to believe that keyhole is the modern way, my advice is get it done as soon as you know it needs doing, I left mine a year and a half, surgeon said it was one of the worst he'd seen.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Gentlemen,
After replying to the op (no pun intended), I've read some of the comments about putting it off due to golf reasons.

I did the same so I fully understand the sentiment, but PLEASE just get it done as soon as you can. It's your health, it can get very serious if left unattended. The Stablefords and knockouts will still be there next year.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Funny note on keyhole surgery ::D
When I came around, my testicles were "propped up" so to speak. Unbeknown to me, a side effect was two very swollen and black sphericals that required extremely delicate sitting down

Bit weird after going in with a sore throat :smirk: