Inguinial Hernia

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Noticed a lump in my groin on the right hand side which tends to get more swollen when I play or exercise.

Spoke with a friend today who said he had something similar and thinks it could be an inguinial (?) hernia. Sounds pretty major. Has anyone had one, how is it treated and more importantly, how much golf will I miss. It doesn't hurt although is a bit uncomfy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Making an appointment on Monday. Just interested as the symptoms and his description seem to tally. Wasn't trying to self diagnose at all but just wondered if it is a hernia what the golfing prognosis would be

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
one mate had one repaired on his left side, involved open surgery, inserting a mesh inside to support the muscle wall. he was told not to strain for 4 weeks . but played ok after 2weeks , he now has one on his right side after 12weeks, which is quite common he's been told . another mate had keyhole . and he couldnt play for 8weeks because of dis- comfort both guys are slim and quite fit. hope all goes well

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had 3 the first was before they put the mesh in. I only bent down to tie my shoe lace and burst the stitches. That hurt. The other 2 times repaired with the mesh. Not had any problems. Although the side that has been repaired twice does ache at times.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
You remember I lived in London? My mate (and pairs partner) had to have surgery for a Hernia. I don't remember what sort, but he was out from golf for quite a while. I think it depends on if they can do keyhole, which would normally save on recovery time presumably?

Your Doc will advise you. Lumps and bumps got to be checked out.

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most hernias are pretty easily fixed as above 2-4 weeks out but then away you go. I think they used to say 6-12 mnths !!

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hernia's generally are quick to heal.

Had a couple Of ops in my football days and back full training/Playing in a month max

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had one curtesy of my old football days! There can be a wait for the op thanks to our superb nhs system ! 6-12 weeks is about right! Without sounding crude, the worst part after was trying to go to the toilet! Trying to squeeze one out was agony ! :(

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can you wait till we're out of the Volvo :D

Never had a hernia so can't help with your question but you work in the right place to get it seen to. Hopefully it's nothing too serious

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had one curtesy of my old football days! There can be a wait for the op thanks to our superb nhs system ! 6-12 weeks is about right! Without sounding crude, the worst part after was trying to go to the toilet! Trying to squeeze one out was agony ! :(

Homer works for "our superb NHS system"

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have one on each side. Doctor said they were threatening but not full blown hernias. Haven't tried to get them sorted fully yet as I can't afford sick leave from work while on temp contracts.

Can be sore at time and I notice reduced flexability if they are playing up.

I seen the op being done. Very interesting procedure. Just hope they get a nice nurse to do the shave. Poor guy I helped had me shave him.