Hernia - advice required

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
The difference between indirect and direct hernias is a matter of anatomy, and which bit of your abdomen your guts poke through. Only real significance is that direct hernias are less likely to develop complications, but this is of little importance as they are both managed in the same way, and preferably without too much delay.

Stick your bowels back in, pop some mesh over the top, sew it up and get you back out on the course, sooner rather than later!!

Rather counter-intuitively, I seem to use this forum more when revising for exams...:mmm:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The difference between indirect and direct hernias is a matter of anatomy, and which bit of your abdomen your guts poke through. Only real significance is that direct hernias are less likely to develop complications, but this is of little importance as they are both managed in the same way, and preferably without too much delay.

Stick your bowels back in, pop some mesh over the top, sew it up and get you back out on the course, sooner rather than later!!

Rather counter-intuitively, I seem to use this forum more when revising for exams...:mmm:

My surgeon told me that a direct is when the hole is forced open (rips and tears) indirect is when the weakness or opening is already there from the pipes that go from your kidneys to your testicles. At birth most detach and dissolve away but with some the pipes stay there for a while and this creates a long term weakness.

The second is much less painful and much quicker recovery time but its likely you'll get one on the other side too

Last edited:

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
My surgeon told me that a direct is when the hole is forced open (rips and tears) indirect is when the weakness or opening is already there from the pipes that go from your kidneys to your testicles. At birth most detach and dissolve away buy with some the pipes stay there for a while and this creates a long term weakness.

The second is much less painful and much quicker recovery time but its likely you'll get one on the other side too

This is true, direct hernias are so-called as they protrude directly through the abdominal wall (via Hesselbach's triangle), whereas indirect hernias take a slightly more convoluted route through the inguinal canal, hence, indirect.

I hadn't heard about what you say about the difference in pain and recovery, but I don't have a great deal of experience in dealing with hernias as a student, so I'd trust advice from a surgeon! I'm sure I can count this as revision somehow...

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had mine done about 25 years ago and from memory it was sore for a couple of weeks afterwards. Wasn't playing golf at the time so couldn't say how long it will take to get back on the course. The last few years it has been hurting again but the expert diagnosis is that it is scar tissue and not another hernia.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The thing that suprised me was the surgeon said " you cant undo any of the work i have done so make sure you keep on your feet and stay mobile, don't sit it out on the sofa"

I was back in the gym 5 days later. I didn't do anything crazy. Just a load of seated exercises followed by a gentle walk

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Well, all done & home recovering. Not as sore as expected & now being waited upon by the two lovely ladies in my life. I'm not rushing back to golf but I'll update my progress in case the information is of use to someone else.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well, all done & home recovering. Not as sore as expected & now being waited upon by the two lovely ladies in my life. I'm not rushing back to golf but I'll update my progress in case the information is of use to someone else.

Well done!

Did you have the butcher's method or the keyhole?

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Keyhole, I'm glad to say.

Nice one.
I'll estimate you will feel like hitting a few golf balls before the year is out.

You may or may not wish to comment, but if you do suffer with one or two swollen, bruised round men's parts, you won't be the first :D

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Remarkably pain free today (& the orbs are still flesh coloured Three) My biggest problem is a pain in the shoulders. Glad they told me about that. Apparently it's the remains of the gas they pump into you to separate the internal organs which rises up to the top & can't get out. Weird!

Like · Reply · Just now

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Two weeks tomorrow & feeling fit as a fiddle. I honestly think I could play now but I'll give it another couple of weeks. Had a couple of longish walks with the dogs & started driving again yesterday without any problems. The only pain I've had once the wind went away was from coughing & sneezing & even that's pain free now. Anyone trying to decide between keyhole & open surgery would be well advised to go for keyhole, provided, like I did, you check out the surgeon first.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
16 days after the op . Hit 25 wedge shots at the range today, no problem at all. If it wasn't for the heaving of the bag & trolley in & out of the car I'd be tempted to play but the weather's not up to much & I must be patient. Very pleased with the way it has gone, glad I opted for a keyhole job.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
16 days after the op . Hit 25 wedge shots at the range today, no problem at all. If it wasn't for the heaving of the bag & trolley in & out of the car I'd be tempted to play but the weather's not up to much & I must be patient. Very pleased with the way it has gone, glad I opted for a keyhole job.

Great news.

Don't wish to say I told you so, but I told you so.
:D

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
And 14 months after the op it's back, in exactly the same place. Can't understand how, when they stitch in one of the most durable materials known to man, it can make a reappearance, although I was aware that, with laproscopic surgery the risk of recurrence was higher. Waiting for an appointment to see the surgeon not holding my breath in the current climate.

Anyone else experienced this unfortunate turn of events?