Shoulder decompression surgery and golf

U

User62651

Anyone had a shoulder decompression operation and did it allow you to get back playing golf? How long did it take to get your game back?

I'm getting this op next month and hoping I can in time get golfing again, having missed the last 4 seasons due to this ropey shoulder and being unable to move the shoulder in certain positions without pain, chronic injuries affect life in many ways. It's keyhole surgery and the hope is there isn't a torn supraspinatus tendon in there to complicate things, MRI suggested there is but recent ultrasound suggested not. Really hoping not and its just trying to make some room in there to let things move so inflammation subsides and healing can occur.
I've been pushed along the physio and more physio line by NHS with very limited success. Had all the cortisone shots, sports massage, manipulation under anaesthetic, acupuncture etc too.
Not sure what to hope for, if it doesn't work I'm back where I started but worth a try I think.

And for those of you in good golfing health don't take your golf for granted and get angry on the course when you miss a fairway or green, just be glad you can partake and savour it!:smirk:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know what shoulder compression is without google but ive had a lot of shoulder problems.
Ive had 8 dislocations in total injuring both shoulders but only had an operation on the right.

Your doing the right thing by getting it sorted I went years without the op.
Make sure you do all the physio as it gets better to aid movement.
Good luck and I hope you don't go too mad.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Another who had (thanks Google) no idea what this was but I hope the operation is a success first and foremost. Listen to the experts, work hard and get fit without rushing to play golf. IF it's a success take the golf comeback slowly and I'm sure you'll be back. If not this season then perhaps some winter work to get the swing back and hit the fairways in 2016. Good luck

DCB

Visit site
One thing you need to do is speak with your surgeon and the physios and make them aware that you hope to play golf again. If you make a good recovery and do all your rehab physio then the chances of getting back to golf quickly will be a lot better. The physios especially seem to be able to tell exactly what you have done and what you haven't done in the way of rehab exercises. Get them onside with your hard work and it'll be a lot easier.

I speak from experience, having had a serious spinal injury almost a year ago. Still not got back to the golf yet, but it's in the plan for this year. Lots of hard work needs to be done and getting the physios on side has been a major plus in reaching my various goals so far.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
hope the op goes well & they get to untangle what they need to in there. know of one guy who had it done to good effect. main thing is you have to suspend your impatience to get back. keep it in the sling! lifting arm above the shoulder a no no for sure.

the guy was told swimming breaststroke was good for rehab, when he could get back to start exercise. in the end he got the ok to hit small half pitches after about 2 months or so.

quickest route back, gotta follow the advice. good luck.

Revrec

Medal Winner
Visit site
I had both shoulders operated on 20+ years ago (for a different problem) and they worked out fine. Never got back to playing rugby, but eventually found golf so, every cloud...

Good luck and - as others have said - follow the doc's advice. It's the best way to get back.

buggerlugs

Medal Winner
Visit site
I had a rotator cuff operation last year and was told to keep the sling on for a month. But me being the impatient type I took off the sling the same day and started boxing movements, slowly at first then getting faster as the pain wore off. Within an hour my shoulder felt much better and I was playing golf about 2 weeks later although not too vigorous with my swing. My shoulder was better within 2 months
A friend had exactly the same op but kept his sling on for a month after 2 months he still had pain and could hardly move his arm.

U

User62651

Great, I'll try some windmills as they wheel me out of the recovery room!:p