Help with iron query

Henry-1121-1121

Visit site
Can anyone please tell me if Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal irons would be a good set for a golfer who has no handicap and been playing for around a year and a half? Looking to change my current set of clubs. Thanks

Chico84

Visit site
I have a set and have been playing not quite a year. I love them. Well worth getting a fitting as I found different shafts made a big difference with them. Mizuno have a wide range of shafts available at no extra cost so not much to lose in that regards.

They are definitely ‘hot’ in the sense they are pretty long hitting. I have found them to be fairly forgiving too. They Look great as well!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Henry,

Yeah Hot Metals are very forgiving and there’s a lot of spring off the face. One thing I would say is make sure you get the right shaft in them, you may need Regular or Stiff, steel or Graphite, a pro can advise you at a safe distance... The KBS shafts are great, but as with anything try before you buy if at all possible. I’m guessing you are thinking of picking these up online? Feel free to ask for advice here, if not - enjoy the new sticks!

Henry-1121-1121

Visit site
I have a set and have been playing not quite a year. I love them. Well worth getting a fitting as I found different shafts made a big difference with them. Mizuno have a wide range of shafts available at no extra cost so not much to lose in that regards.

They are definitely ‘hot’ in the sense they are pretty long hitting. I have found them to be fairly forgiving too. They Look great as well!
Brilliant, thats really helpful thank you mate!

Henry-1121-1121

Visit site
Hi Henry,

Yeah Hot Metals are very forgiving and there’s a lot of spring off the face. One thing I would say is make sure you get the right shaft in them, you may need Regular or Stiff, steel or Graphite, a pro can advise you at a safe distance... The KBS shafts are great, but as with anything try before you buy if at all possible. I’m guessing you are thinking of picking these up online? Feel free to ask for advice here, if not - enjoy the new sticks!
Hi Curls,
Thanks for such a good response! I will definitely get a fitting for them as so many people have said how important this is in order to maximise your performance. I am likely going to buy them on the internet and then go to a pro to get them fitted. Is that a good idea? Or would you suggest buying them in-store?
Thanks

D

Deleted member 1740

Hi Curls,
Thanks for such a good response! I will definitely get a fitting for them as so many people have said how important this is in order to maximise your performance. I am likely going to buy them on the internet and then go to a pro to get them fitted. Is that a good idea? Or would you suggest buying them in-store?
Thanks

it doesn’t really work like that in all honesty. It could end up being an expensive mistake.

Go and see a pro ??

Chico84

Visit site
The fitting involves trying different shafts with the heads to see how performance differs. The fitter uses a special set of heads which can be quickly swapped into different shafts. They will also fit you for the lie angle of the club (how upright the shaft is in relation to the club head), shaft length and grip size.

Once you have found a fit that is right for you they will send the details off and build your clubs to the specification required. If you buy online they will come with a shaft already installed and it will be difficult to change the shaft without reasonable expense as the heads will effectively be glued on.

If you did want to try and save some money you could get a fitting and then look to buy those specs online. However, most stores you go to will price match online prices anyway.

The range of shafts Mizuno make available is really impressive so take advantage of it for sure.

I’d also suggest trying a few other clubs if you go for a fitting too. Whilst I love the 919s you may find other clubs suit you even better so you might as well try them whilst you’re there. Enjoy the process - it’s not that often you get something tailored to your own specific needs.

Henry-1121-1121

Visit site
The fitting involves trying different shafts with the heads to see how performance differs. The fitter uses a special set of heads which can be quickly swapped into different shafts. They will also fit you for the lie angle of the club (how upright the shaft is in relation to the club head), shaft length and grip size.

Once you have found a fit that is right for you they will send the details off and build your clubs to the specification required. If you buy online they will come with a shaft already installed and it will be difficult to change the shaft without reasonable expense as the heads will effectively be glued on.

If you did want to try and save some money you could get a fitting and then look to buy those specs online. However, most stores you go to will price match online prices anyway.

The range of shafts Mizuno make available is really impressive so take advantage of it for sure.

I’d also suggest trying a few other clubs if you go for a fitting too. Whilst I love the 919s you may find other clubs suit you even better so you might as well try them whilst you’re there. Enjoy the process - it’s not that often you get something tailored to your own specific needs.
Wow, thank you so much for this reply, you couldn’t of been more helpful. Really appreciate it!