HELP - What’s in protein shakes?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Scenario;

Friend’s son is 42yrs old, physically & mentally challenged. Around 6’2” tall. He suffers from diabetes. In the last 6 months his weight has dropped from around 100kg to 56kg. He is seriously like skin and bone. Social Services and his GP in the U.K., whose care he has been under, have been brilliant. The message from them 3 weeks ago was “come and get him. Take him to Spain, and feed him up.” Note, 3 weeks ago he weighed 61kg.

To see him is truly shocking. He’s happy in himself but he is a bit weak and doddering. Feeding him isn’t an issue, as he likes his food, but what supplements could be added to his diet to help build him up?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Scenario;

Friend’s son is 42yrs old, physically & mentally challenged. Around 6’2” tall. He suffers from diabetes. In the last 6 months his weight has dropped from around 100kg to 56kg. He is seriously like skin and bone. Social Services and his GP in the U.K., whose care he has been under, have been brilliant. The message from them 3 weeks ago was “come and get him. Take him to Spain, and feed him up.” Note, 3 weeks ago he weighed 61kg.

To see him is truly shocking. He’s happy in himself but he is a bit weak and doddering. Feeding him isn’t an issue, as he likes his food, but what supplements could be added to his diet to help build him up?

Thats some seriously concerning loss of weight. Has he been checked for something more serious that could be causing it?

The Mass gainer type protein shakes are full of calories - 900 odd per shake, a couple of them daily could help but it depends what's actually causing the loss in weight! Plus silly things like high calorie food just before bed etc (ice cream, nuts and chocolate etc)

Id be concerned about some sort of degenerative disorder to be honest.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Avoiding the potential for underlying issues and just sticking to the headline, when my MiL was in a care home and losing weight they would sometimes give her a protein shake just to boost things along. It is sometimes easier to get someone to drink something than eat. Protein shakes, in moderation, can certainly help until the real issue is sorted out.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Protein shakes usually have pretty good macros but can cause upset tummies. Something like Complan would be a good bet perhaps.

Or make smoothies with banana, whole milk and oodles of peanut butter!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My wife was nil by mouth for a lot of her life.

She used to be given a special blend by the NHS which was fed straight to her stomach. Initially she put on weight so quickly that they halved her daily amount. I bet there is a similar product for drinking.

If he is diabetic I would avoid off the shelf Protein Shakes as they are very high in sugar.

I would discuss with a nutrionist heath care professional or your local chemist about choices eg Complan recommends discussion with the same before using.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would steer clear of internet advice and see a dietitian, that is not an ordinary weight loss in that time spell! How/why has it dropped? You say he likes his food but is losing massive amounts so something is not right. Did he stop just eating, bulimia, anoxeria? what was the trigger?

I would be urgently looking for very professional help, short term look at complan, Huel, meal replacement shakes, not sure how good the bulk up shakes are in terms of other crap, but if its gonna get some weight on him, then just do it.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would steer clear of internet advice and see a dietitian, that is not an ordinary weight loss in that time spell! How/why has it dropped? You say he likes his food but is losing massive amounts so something is not right. Did he stop just eating, bulimia, anoxeria? what was the trigger?

I would be urgently looking for very professional help,
Totally agree with this . Diabetes UK say consult a Dr if you lose more than 5% or 4.5 kg in 6-12 months or less. Your friends son has lost a lot more than this so they should be getting help as soon as possible

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A quick update, and a big thank you to everyone who took time to reply/read the op.

11 days into his ‘convalescence‘ here in Spain. With lots of the right food his weight hasn’t gone up but is down a further 4kg to 52kg. He’s taken to vomiting at odd times, and he couldn’t, really couldn’t, be woken up for his evening meal yesterday.

He was taken for a blood sugar test this morning at the pharmacy in the town. A BST revealed a number I’ve never seen before, 405, 40.5 in U.K. numbers. Ideally, you’d be looking at no more than 120, preferably well below 100.

A quick trip to the local A&E saw him on a saline drip and an insulin injection, and then in an ambulance up to the main hospital 1 hour away.

Just waiting on a call from 2 very worried 70yr old parents.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
A quick update, and a big thank you to everyone who took time to reply/read the op.

11 days into his ‘convalescence‘ here in Spain. With lots of the right food his weight hasn’t gone up but is down a further 4kg to 52kg. He’s taken to vomiting at odd times, and he couldn’t, really couldn’t, be woken up for his evening meal yesterday.

He was taken for a blood sugar test this morning at the pharmacy in the town. A BST revealed a number I’ve never seen before, 405, 40.5 in U.K. numbers. Ideally, you’d be looking at no more than 120, preferably well below 100.

A quick trip to the local A&E saw him on a saline drip and an insulin injection, and then in an ambulance up to the main hospital 1 hour away.

Just waiting on a call from 2 very worried 70yr old parents.

Hopefully they'll get him straight - very worrying for you all.