Just had my first custom fit. Opinions needed.

TPO77

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been having lessons from a pro that I met through my girlfriends dad. I've had 4 lessons with him and 3 rounds with him and my gf's dad that have basically been playing lessons. I've certainly learnt a lot in a sort space of time playing with single figure players and from getting lessons from a pro that teaches me in a way that suits me.

Anyway, after the first round we had my pro commented that my irons were a bit long and a bit heavy for my swing and that I'd probably benefit from getting custom fit. So it was decided that my birthday present from my girlfriend and her family would be some new custom fit irons. So on Monday evening I went and had my fitting. I tried a few different irons and settled on the Wilson Staff Ci11s. As you can probably see from my sig I'm a fan of Wilson stuff and truthfully I'd had my eye on Ci11s since I got to hit a playing partners ones a few months ago. Maybe not the biggest or best brand but they work for me.

Now the bit that surprised me with the fitting was what my pro recommended club set-up wise. I had initially been planning on getting 4-PW and doing a like for like replacement. Instead he recommended that I get 5 - GW, 1/2" shorter with regular flex graphite shafts. The numbers on the trackman supported his claim pretty well. The gaps were fairly consistent through the bag down until the 3h - 5i gap but this was still only around 20 yards. The GW was around about the 100 yard mark which is a distance I end up with quite a lot and struggle with fabricating the shot to get the distance. I had assumed that the idea was that I'd have the PW, GW and then maybe a 54 and 58 degree and get another hybrid. My pro however suggested I keep the wedge set-up as it is since it's working for me and rather than think of the PW and GW as wedges think of them as 10 and 11 irons for full shots and the wedges as 85 yards and in clubs.

Obviously he's seen me play a few rounds and he is correct in saying that I'm not that accurate from distance and that I usually lay up or at least play safe if I have more than a 6 iron to the green anyway. A 100 yard club will help my score but I still can't quite get my head around the prospect of carrying 5 wedges regardless of the consistent gap between them and jacked lofts. Has anyone else been recommended anything like this or seen anyone with a set up like this? Or anyone got any other opinions on this? I have 3 weeks to decide before I order since he's away on holiday and I can always add a 4 iron or hybrid later for the 60 if I find I need it. Just looking for some golfers opinions since all the golfers I know IRL also know the pro. I don't want to look as though I'm criticising his judgement.

Chris1980

Head Pro
Visit site
In my opinion i feel 4 wedges is more than enough. I use the four wedges and 2 hybrids as my sig shows. I'm sure the pro will be more than happy to listen to all your concerns and opinions as at the end of the day you have to be happy with what your getting. During my custom fit i was recommended the UW instead of a SW which i wanted so i took the advice and then got myself a vokey to use as a SW. Its a 54 degree bent to 55. Your splashing the cash so get whats right for you!

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What loft is the GW? Surely it's much the same as your existing 52? If so drop the GW and get a 4 iron/hybrid to plug that gap between the 5 iron and 3 hybrid.

TPO77

Club Champion
Visit site
Sorry should've said in the opening post. I expressed my concerns with the pro to start with and honestly other than the numbers on the bottom of the club I don't really know what my issue with the proposed set up is. I suppose it just doesn't feel right. The PW is 44 degrees and the GW is 48 degrees. Dropping the 52 or the 60 is what I'm leaning towards just now although I do use them both a lot and the 56 is my bunker club. I suppose I just feel as though I've taken the plunge and got custom fit and then the outcome isn't what I expected/wanted so I then ignore it and do whatever I want which defies the point of the custom fit. I'd be tempted to get him to make up the set as 4 - GW I just don't want to pay £60 for a club that's going to sit in the cupboard. Thanks for the opinions though it helps the other people are thinking along the same lines of me and that I shouldn't just take the pro's opinion as gospel if I don't feel comfortable with it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nothing wrong with what the Pro is saying imo

That GW is same loft as my PW, so all that has really changed is the numbers on the soles.

It's easier, and better imo, to choke down on a hybrid and lose 10 yards than having to make adjustments on wedges that are your 'scoring' clubs.

Just make sure you don't give yourself o many options that you confuse yourself with choice. That's why the Pro's advice about using the GW for full shots rather than 'finesse' ones makes sense. Full 52 90-95?

TPO77

Club Champion
Visit site
The numbers I was getting were 104 average for the GW and 90 for the 52. As I said I can't dispute the pros logic. The numbers support what he's saying. If I've got 100 yards to go then hit the GW if I'm inside that then that's when the wedges come in to play. At the moment I think it's just a case of trying to forget about the numbers on the club and think about the distances and try to make a decision based on that. Right now if you asked me if I'd miss my 4 iron I'd say no. It's not a club that I hit a lot because it's not a distance I seem to find myself needing to hit a lot where I play. Sods law however does mean that if I chose to dump it for the GW that I'll never have a 100 yard shot again and plenty of shots with 185 to go.:whistle:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
With those very strong lofts the pro is right, the PW is now a full shot club. If it has the same clubhead shape as the 9 and 8 irons then that confirms it even more so.

I rarely hit my wedges full, including my PW (I have 3), you still need clubs in the 52 and 56 lofts so you would then also have 3 wedges.

When it comes down to it just ignore the number stamped on the bottom, look at the distances instead. You don't need more than Driver, 3 wood, 3h, 4h then 5-GW + 2 wedges and a putter. If all have shifted along in lofts correctly then the 3h should be similar loft to a 5 wood. You have then just retained the classic setup, just with renumbered irons and hybrids.

One key thing to note is that iron lofts are not just changing for marketing reasons, I recently learnt (from some knowledgeable source of course, Mr Harrington I think) that a big driver for the loft change is down to the clubs being able to launch a ball higher from the same loft, meaning clubs can be stronger and still get a high enough ball flight. The net result is the same shot shape and spin but with more distance.

I need to get in on this act! I am no short hitter and I have people coming along and hitting 2 clubs more than me! I am there belting an 8 iron 140 yards and they pull out a PW :confused: