Help 4 Heroes Bearwood Lakes Charity Golf Day - Monday 21st September 2020

paulw4701

Club Champion
Visit site
Rich,

Simple answer is - ignore the bleating. You and your wife have put significant amounts of your own time to make this bigger and better each year and the quality of the courses we play is always superb. If those that can't accept the pace of play, especially from the Battleback guys, and have generally griped don't like it, don't take their money next year. I am sure there will be plenty waiting to fill their spots who will enjoy the day, the company, and not give two jots how long it takes to play.

Given everything you've had to deal with, and then not being able to be there today as well, I think you and your wife should be immensely proud of just how good a day it has been today. Hopefully in 2021 we'll be back to a semblance or normality and you'll take pride enough in the fact 99% of us appreciate all the efforts that go into the day to take up the baton next year and make it another memorable occasion

paulw4701

Club Champion
Visit site
Top post Nick. (y)

Must admit some of the comments have really made me think twice about organising a day next year. It seems we are having complaints made about groups that had Battleback guys playing in them. Perhaps some forumers would like to google BattleBack, and realise how lucky they are to be on a course with these guys.

We usually have a shotgun start which normally is quicker than a two tee one. Obviously we were restricted this year by Covid 19, but must admit I thought some forumers would be more generous with their comments on a day that was not just about them, but also raising money for such a good cause.

Rich
Rich just remember the ones that moan and complain dont get to play next year theres plenty who just enjoy the day to raise lots of money for our military boys and girls who sacrifice themselves for us great day

Wrighty001

Visit site
After finishing work at 4am and arriving at the local Hilton at 5am, not even having just 4/5 hours sleep was going to spoil today. Big thank you to Rich, his wife the staff at bearwood and today’s helpers. Only my second event and would be gutted if it was my last. Keep up the good work. My guest had an amazing day and finally got to place a course that had previously been off limits to them. Final note I thought golf was a game to be enjoyed and wasn’t a race. 4/5 hours on a course like that isn’t that bad, 6 and half hours at La Mar in France that’s a slow round. ?????????????????

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Bearwood as usual was in superb condition , immaculate greens , fairways lovely , great round only spoilt by having to wait on every hole for the group in front who lost a hole very early. It was going to be a long day when we walked off the 1st green to hear the tee shots on the 2nd tee !! How it took tens to tee off I’ll never know , and then it’s 3 mins to search for a ball not 5 or just keep going.
We nearly lost it at the 9th when we saw two guys finished and walking to the next tee only to see one walk back to a bush and then start to play the hole !!!! Really poor and it nearly ruined the day for my guests - thankfully the coirse and the weather saved the day.
Cheers Rich for sorting it all out , such a shame you cooldnt make it , my guests will be back next year. Maybe it’s potentially time to make it a team event and then people pick up quickly?!
The staff at Bearwood were outstanding- food great ( managed to eat it this time ) and cheers once again for the volunteers.

Possibly, the saddest comment I've read on here for a long time.
You've got loads of guys on here who travelled miles to support a great cause, and to remember a forum member who was effectively a "legend".
Yet you want to dash round a beautiful course as quickly as possible? Why??????
I hate slow play. But yesterday was a one off as far as I was concerned. A chance to play a superb course that I personally can't afford to play very often. In glorious weather, with 3 great friends, sharing a laugh and joke. Do you know what? The golf kind of took a back seat.
Yes, we were held up now and again. Yes, it got frustrating at times. But to deny others the chance to enjoy their day???
Shame on you Phil.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I was in the 10.30 group, the starter gave us the pre round talk and we were invited to tee off, I was first to play on the (1st) tee and the group in front (imurgs) were on the 1st green (par 4) as I hit my tee shot. We then eventually got to 18 where we tee'd off and Imurgs group were on the green - so, no distance was lost at all and we didnt wait hardly at all to play and I dont remember keeping the group behind waiting either.

There were quite long walks between greens and tees and I think that it was optimistic to expect 90% of a field, playing 4 balls, on a strange course in hot weather to get round in 4 hours 10 minutes - anyway, however long it took I loved the whole of it ?

Simonsmh

Visit site
What a couple of days golf!

I wasn’t expecting that much from Sonning but was really impressed with the course. I think the Top100 would call it a “hidden gem”!

I rocked up at 13:45 for my 13:50 tee time and my golf suffered for it and I didn’t really get going until the back 9 - not having some time on the putting green cost me dearly. I eventually got the pace of the greens and played some really good golf on the back 9. That put me in a good frame of mind for the main event.

Thanks to @Papas1982 for organising.

Bearwood has been on my hitlist for a while so I was excited to finally get to play it. I stayed over on Sunday night in Wokingham with a few others, I was fairly sensible and called it a night around midnight but still felt rough Monday morning?

The whole set up at Bearwood was fantastic and more than met expectations, and I now have my eye on the 4ball auction lot so I can go back and play again.

The combination of the weather, amazing course and probably some of the best golf I have played this year on a course I didn’t know made for a great day.

Thanks to @full_throttle & @HomerJSimpson for the company. And thanks to all involved in organising and laying on another great day.... bring on next year!

I think @richart mentioned he had another corker of a course and would be announcing on the day?? Care to share yet @richart ??

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't think anyone talking about the pace of play is forgetting Rick, the charity or any of the hard-work that goes in to making this such a great day and nobody would want to detract from any of that.

I have played Bearwood a number of times now, every round was 3.30 to 4 hours max, yesterday we were a whisker from 5 hours.
We waited on nearly every shot, starting from the 2nd tee, take nothing away from the day but that is frustrating.

The starter was very clear, 4 hours is adequate for a 4 ball stableford, we took 25% more time.

We also have a responsibility to Bearwood, we didn't have the course for the whole day and subsequently members went out after us, who would have then also been delayed.
If we had all got around in 4.5 hours I don't think anyone could complain, you expect days like this, new course to many, mix of handicaps etc to take a bit longer but not an hour longer than the staff of the course actually advice.

Staff at Bearwood are always exemplary, fairways and greens superb, always enjoy the course. Superb day, great to see everyone in difficult circumstances and to echo thanks to Rich, Vicky, Slash, Zara and everyone else who made the day possible.
Good post Jon (y)

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Really enjoyed today. Nice to meet and play with @Blue in Munich and @Patster1969, and to play with @Fish for a few holes. Sadly he wasn't feeling to good and had to depart soon after we started the back (front) 9. The course was very nice, really enjoyed it, the golf was quite enjoyable for a change too. Thanks to Rich for organising and to Bearwood for looking after us. Look forward to the next one.

Here's a few pics from our round

Very much enjoyed the company of you (@need_my_wedge), Rich (@Blue in Munich) & Rob (@Fish), Brian - much appreciated.
Had a great day as well - front 9 for us was not good from me, back 9 was a vast improvement.
Bearwood staff were excellent & the course was in great condition (although some of the first cut was very 'grabby' and quickly found out my tentative/non-confident chipping technique around the greens - I need to hit more greens).
Lastly @richart, thanks to you & your wife for organising this worthwhile event on an annual basis - I need to throw a few quid your way for par 3 penalties (as I had no coinage with me), is it best to just go back onto the Just Giving site and pay these through there?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't think anyone talking about the pace of play is forgetting Rick, the charity or any of the hard-work that goes in to making this such a great day and nobody would want to detract from any of that.

I have played Bearwood a number of times now, every round was 3.30 to 4 hours max, yesterday we were a whisker from 5 hours.
We waited on nearly every shot, starting from the 2nd tee, take nothing away from the day but that is frustrating.

The starter was very clear, 4 hours is adequate for a 4 ball stableford, we took 25% more time.

We also have a responsibility to Bearwood, we didn't have the course for the whole day and subsequently members went out after us, who would have then also been delayed.
If we had all got around in 4.5 hours I don't think anyone could complain, you expect days like this, new course to many, mix of handicaps etc to take a bit longer but not an hour longer than the staff of the course actually advice.

Staff at Bearwood are always exemplary, fairways and greens superb, always enjoy the course. Superb day, great to see everyone in difficult circumstances and to echo thanks to Rich, Vicky, Slash, Zara and everyone else who made the day possible.
I have played many a charity day at Bearwood Lakes, and never been round in less than 4.5 hours. It is a long course, some decent walks between tees, and on a hot day most will stop at the halfway hut.

The golf monthly forum is effectively a society, with a lot of players not a member of a golf club. A lot of high handicappers. Every society day I have played has been much slower than a normal club competition. Good golfers generally play faster than not so good, unless thay are pros of course ! ! If I could hit it down the middle, on the green in two and two putt I would be a lot quicker going round. Unfortunately I spend a lot of time scrabbling around searching for balls in the rough, skulling chips across greens, and three putting.

Regarding members getting out to play, this is one of the reasons we play on a Monday if possible. A quiet day for most clubs, and are there many members that would want to follow any society with 100 players ? I would give it a wide berth, and tee off much later. In all the years I have been helping organise the day I have never had a club complain about the pace of play to me. Some of the clubs even give us the whole day, and close the course for members until well after we have finished to avoid possible problems.

I take on board what you say Jon, but I am surprised anyone would think the pace of play for a society would be any different for a two tee start, and also that there is anything that could be done about it. If anyone had their day ruined I strongly recommend they don't play next year, as it is unlikely to be much different. :eek: I also think accusing certain groups on an open forum is wrong, and will only lead to arguments. I thought the forum was an online club where we try and stick together.

Personally don't think a charity thread is the place for a slow play discussion, and I hope this will be the end of it. The longer is goes on the less likely I am to bother next year, and no, I don't have any club arranged for next year Simon.:)

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
The annual H4H day is always a highlight in my golfing calendar. This didn't disappoint, from arrival to departure the day was fantastic. I was up and back in a day this year after playing in a mixed open at St Enodoc on the Sunday. (Not quite the mileage of Kraxx, only a 320 mile round trip for me). Feeling a little jaded, I soon perked up with the banter of my partners for the day @paulw4702 @Stuart_C @Duffers. The golf was mixed, but not too embarrassing. The course was fabulous, as was the weather, if you can't enjoy yourself out there on a day like that, you need to give your head a little wobble.

A big thanks to Rich, Vicky and the team of volunteers, we all appreciate how hard you work to pull this off. It's a shame you couldn't be there to share the day with us, you were missed.

Thanks to Bearwood Lakes and it's members for giving us the opportunity to play this wonderful course, and all the Bearwood staff, you were first class.

Until next time,

Cheers

D

Deleted member 1147

Well, it looks like I missed another top notch H4Hs; a cracking course, great weather and the usual good humour. Just a shame about the Covid restrictions!
Well done Rich and Co for your organisational skills, everyone for raising some cash for a good cause, and hopefully you'll be doing another next year, and I'll be fit and well enough to join you (just got to get rid of this damned appendix somehow :mad:)

Until the next time...

D

Deleted member 1740

@Fish was running away with it until his dinner started running....

It looks like Fishy has gone underwater with the shame of being beat by the far superior HomerJ. I seen homer going the bar and when he pulled his wallet out Fish fell out on the floor.

@HomerJSimpson I hope you buy a nice ornament with the winnings of a fish and sit it proudly on the mantle piece knowing you've had him in your back pocket. ?

You can dine out on this for at least another 10yrs??

Fish

Banned
Visit site
It looks like Fishy has gone underwater with the shame of being beat by the far superior HomerJ. I seen homer going the bar and when he pulled his wallet out Fish fell out on the floor.

@HomerJSimpson I hope you buy a nice ornament with the winnings of a fish and sit it proudly on the mantle piece knowing you've had him in your back pocket. ?

You can dine out on this for at least another 10yrs??

I doubt Martin will see it as a scalp with me having to retire after 12 holes.

I think trap 2 at Bearwood has been condemned and a layby up the M40 has been closed with Hazchem treatment being used all around it ?

D

Deleted member 1147

I doubt Martin will see it as a scalp with me having to retire after 12 holes.

I think trap 2 at Bearwood has been condemned and a layby up the M40 has been closed with Hazchem treatment being used all around it ?
Hope that isn’t a Sand Trap ?