Have you ever smashed one back

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Not seen it done think it’s a bit too risky, usually just a talking to or arms in the air job.

Remember when we were juniors we had played down onto a short par 3 as soon as we had all hit some local troublemakers around our age ran onto green and stole our balls.

One of the lads snapped, sprinted down at them and rugby tackled the slowest of the bunch. One of his friends turned back to return to his aide and then he got rugby tackled. The third contemplated turning around and then just decided to keep running.

Got our balls back and strangely they stayed away from the course thereafter, no more mindless vandalism, stolen flag sticks etc. They steered clear ?

Strangely the lad gave up golf a few months after and pursued rugby. Think he liked the aggression release.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have picked one up one and put it in plain sight right behind a tree with no shot to the green, did after the same guy had done it 3 times. He could not see me do it but must have guessed as he never did it again.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When you spot a ball bouncing up close behind or past you just collapse onto the ground and get your playing companions to gather round. Then slowly get up and act as if recuperating. As soon as the opportunity subsequently presents see if any of them asks if all was OK or attempts any apology. If not then you give them both barrels. Then you forgive them.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Being someone who was struck by a ball (explains a lot) as a kid when I was younger, I take a close ball quite personal as in the neurologist opinion it’s almost certainly what caused an ongoing medical condition. It may please some or it may offend others but it’s a 3 stage rule but they have to be close, not 30-40ft away.

1st ball - will get casually placed on a tee. It’s a subtle way of saying stead on.

2nd ball - will get a middle of the traditional look back big shrug kinda thing.

3rd - which I’ve never got to will either go into the cabbage, a stamp on or a gentle word on the tee.

If it’s an ankle chaser I really couldn’tcare, we could all hit a Sunday best, good bounce off a downward slope etc. in my opinion the 1st should be subtle enough and should never need to go any further.

based on my own situation one thing I hate is putting one up the group in front, if it even happens they get a thorough apology and a round of drinks on me, it’s not cricket!

Swango1980

Visit site
Being someone who was struck by a ball (explains a lot) as a kid when I was younger, I take a close ball quite personal as in the neurologist opinion it’s almost certainly what caused an ongoing medical condition. It may please some or it may offend others but it’s a 3 stage rule but they have to be close, not 30-40ft away.

1st ball - will get casually placed on a tee. It’s a subtle way of saying stead on.

2nd ball - will get a middle of the traditional look back big shrug kinda thing.

3rd - which I’ve never got to will either go into the cabbage, a stamp on or a gentle word on the tee.

If it’s an ankle chaser I really couldn’tcare, we could all hit a Sunday best, good bounce off a downward slope etc. in my opinion the 1st should be subtle enough and should never need to go any further.

based on my own situation one thing I hate is putting one up the group in front, if it even happens they get a thorough apology and a round of drinks on me, it’s not cricket!
Do you get your tee back?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site

Whats the right distance to leave the group ahead? I usually drive when they are 250 away as I might just abour roll there on a good one. I leave 190ish on the fairway, and I let the, clear a green I could reach, even if often I leave it short.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd never hit one back, accidents happens amd we can all catch a good one during a bad round.

I caddied regularly for a group of cockney's who were real characters. They were successful business owners but definitely seemed like they could handle themselves. One in particular was very intimidating, had a short temper especially with his game, but had a great sense of humour. Twice during a round a group behind sent a drive over our group, both times it happened when this one guy was about to play. Neither time did they shout fore.
The first time he waited by their ball "to have a chat" while we all carried on. He said that they were soft city types full of apologies, so he went easy on them and just joked that he wasn't that long off the tee so they best wait...

A few holes later another drive missed his face by inches. Without a pause, he instantly hit the deck. Although we saw the ball didn't hit him, the speed that he dropped made us second guess. He was lying completely still, he gave us a wink and told us to play along.
While we were pretending to panic, make him comfortable, make a phone call etc, the group behind came up looking really flustered. They approached us mumbling their apologies and asking if he was ok. He lept up and started berating them for not waiting or shouting fore. He them told them to f-off the course or expect him to be waiting for them in the car park at the end of the round. They duly obliged, probably still in shock at what just happened.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Whats the right distance to leave the group ahead? I usually drive when they are 250 away as I might just abour roll there on a good one. I leave 190ish on the fairway, and I let the, clear a green I could reach, even if often I leave it short.

we have a bunker on our first at 300 ish and it’s uphill, I always wait for them to be level with the bunker before hitting. Well out of range and this normally puts a nice gap between the group.

I’m not one to put one close either, nothing more unsettling than one landing close.