Have you ever smashed one back

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just talking on another thread where “ allegedly“ some folk have had golf balls hit past then whilst on the course. They have then been promptly smashed back down the fairway in the direction they have come from. Personally I have never seen it done. Have you seen it happen?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
No! It’s way to dangerous. Have heard talk about it often enough but never seen it happening.
I have seen
- advanced into bunker / under trees / deep rough.
- put into a bin
- wedged into the lake
Only seen that on anonymous random balls, never on balls which have been claimed on arrival with a four/fore (?) shout.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
No, for safety reasons. However, I would have a strong word with the people behind who did this. We had to do this with a group of lads behind us last year. I think they didn't realise the distance they could hit but they nearly hit my playing partner twice.
Otherwise, the people behind, may find their balls either surprisingly buried in the rough, or embedded in the ground.

RichA

Visit site
If it's a premium ball, pop it in the bag and replace with a Pinnacle / Slazenger / Top Flite.
Non premium balls often seem to ricochet off a golf shoe into the long grass or under a golf shoe into the soft ground.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No. I played with a guy who made eye contact with the hitter and then slowly stepped on the ball until it became embedded in the fairway (second offence, no more followed) It was all quite sinister but it worked. Other than that, just the odd stare or a shout back.

I'm lucky, haven't had too many issues on this front. I'd be with the others if it happened a couple of times, kick it into rough or a bunker, not fire it back. To hit it back would be dangerous.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nope, it would take a very extreme circumstance for me to do that. I have kicked a ball that was hit through our group into a ditch before, but that's all.

D

Deleted member 15344

As long as some hasn’t deliberately driven into you then I wouldn’t touch the ball , what’s the point ?

And if someone is doing it deliberately you let him pass and then go to the relevant people in the club to ensure he isn’t allowed on again

Someone smashing it back clearly doesn’t belong on a golf course

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
No and never would. Partly because it's stupidly dangerous and partly because there's no way it's going right back to them. I could spray it 60 yards either side easily!
After the third time of having one land pretty close to me on a full , busy course, I decided to tread on it in the wet, muddy rough, back when relief wasn't a thing. Amazingly, there wasn't a fourth time.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
As a junior I remember knocking one over someone's head after he cut in and ignored us (because we were juniors). I wouldn't be anywhere near as stupid/confident these days

Albo

Visit site
Ive never hit a ball back, nor kicked, stood on or in any way touched a ball.
Usually sorted by waving my arms wildly at the group behind followed by either storming off down the fairway to have a word or waiting by the side of the green.
Usually when you tell someone you understand their annoyance at slow play or their rush to get round but you'd rather not have ball fired at you or a full blown argument on the course, everyone has apologised and not done it again!

Im not sure what id do if someone continued to do it after I had rationally spoken to them.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Its very rare to have a ball land close from behind where I play, whenever it has happened it has invariably been followed by an apology. I guess if someone was persistant in hitting close and did not respond to a request not too I would pick up their ball rather than hit it back but its never happened.

fat80b

Hacker
Visit site
Never hit one back, two wrongs don't make a right and all that.

My usual response is to turn to them and holler FORE so they know that they were out of order.

I have once stood on a ball that whizzed past my ear. Probably let the anger get the better of me in that case.......but maybe it made the person think a bit more carefully thereafter.

Swango1980

Visit site
Nope, if you hit someone you'd be in a lot of trouble. If you didn't hit someone, you'd still be in hot water for intentionally putting others at risk. You are no better than the guys who hit it at you, and you may be much worse if it was a genuine mistake on their part.

It happened to my mate one day. The second time they drove past his group, his playing partner picked the ball up, wrote "W*nker" on it and put it back where it was.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope, if you hit someone you'd be in a lot of trouble. If you didn't hit someone, you'd still be in hot water for intentionally putting others at risk. You are no better than the guys who hit it at you, and you may be much worse if it was a genuine mistake on their part.

It happened to my mate one day. The second time they drove past his group, his playing partner picked the ball up, wrote "W*nker" on it and put it back where it was.
Yes, writing on the ball is often effective - KN*B being one i've witnessed before :D

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I'd wave my arms a bit then carry on. Kicking and standing on wayward drives is childish and escalates the situation unnecessarily. Stealing balls worse. As liverpoolphil points out, any deliberate act of violence is entirely different from a misjudged drive....

Especially this time of year when new drivers provide unprecedented distance....

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Big difference between what ive seen over the years and what I would do :)

Seen one hit back, one hit over a road, one kicked in a lake, one trodden on to all but bury it

Never seen one written on........

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I'd wave my arms a bit then carry on. Kicking and standing on wayward drives is childish and escalates the situation unnecessarily. Stealing balls worse. As liverpoolphil points out, any deliberate act of violence is entirely different from a misjudged drive....

Especially this time of year when new drivers provide unprecedented distance....
Just to be clear, I'm only doing stuff like that if it's clearly not misjudged and was deliberately fired up me in some aggressive way to make me hurry up.
If it's an accident, then likely to just shout "Fore" back at them and wait for an apology at some point, or look back to watch them waving an apology.