Have you ever smashed one back

D

Deleted member 21445

I tend to lean a divot against the ball facing the tee so at least they are looking for ages and only see it once they have walked well past and see it looking back ?

From the tee it looks like I picked it up

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had one on Sunday...landed probably 30 yards behind but it was enough of a thump to make me stand off my shot for a moment.
Sounded a lot closer...

They always do, had one land about 20-30 yards from me as I was playing a pitch into our 15th. It pitched just as I started the down swing and the group following knew it was the semi final of the doubles. We lost the match and I honestly think being rattled and not controlling emotions down the final 3 factored as we were one up prior to that.

To be of it’s going to land close enough as a lay up to be heard, just wait FFS!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
2 of us were on the 6th green at hindhead when a ball slam dunked for a hole in one. We had been looking for a ball in the rough short of the green where we weren’t visible which was fair enough but they obviously saw us leaving the 5th green ably a few moments before.

Despite being peeved initially we were all speechless. Discussing it going up the 7th we agreed that if it hadn’t been a hole in 1 we would have thrown it into the woods.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Playing a par 3 years ago and a group of old boys were behind us.
We were on the green when we heard a "thwack"...one of them had teed off while we were putting.
The ball rolled onto the green and finished close to my line.
The others putted out but I waited until the old boys arrived.
I asked him to mark his ball and then asked him to move his marker....
He wasn't very happy when I made some nice deep footprints on his line.....and they backed off after that...

D

Deleted member 16999

Seen it once, about 35yrs ago down in Bavaria playing on an American Military course we had a ball land close, shouted back, waved arms etc and on the next hole it happened again, one of our group, who was a scratch golfer, said nothing, just walked up, he took a 3 Iron out of his bag, walked to the ball and proceeded to hit a stinger back at the Tee, shouting fore and then stood there watching the 4 guys on the Tee scatter and dived on to the ground, never happened again.

At the time it was funny and felt they fully deserved it, with age comes wisdom and realise now just how stupid and dangerous it was.

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
To my eternal shame, I have actually done this.

It was after the group behind (one person in that group actually) had hit three successive tee shots into us despite our protests. His ball landed just a few metres behind me and I clonked it back.

Since I hit it with my PW there was no danger of it going anywhere near his group, so it wasn't really dangerous but I did feel rubbish about losing my temper.

bm

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
we have a bunker on our first at 300 ish and it’s uphill, I always wait for them to be level with the bunker before hitting. Well out of range and this normally puts a nice gap between the group.

I’m not one to put one close either, nothing more unsettling than one landing close.

Off topic but would that be common for you to need to wait?

Surely the tee spacing on the first more than takes care of a group in front bring more than 300 yrds ahead and setting the gap

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I was playing at Tyrrells Wood with Leftie. Mild mannered Leftie. Wouldn't say "Boo" to a goose Leftie.
Stood on the 18th tee, some young rat playing the 17th missed the green completely, no shout of "fore" his ball ricochet'd off of Leftie's trolley.
He was livid. I've never seen him so riled. He could've crushed a grape, he was that wound up.
He picked the offending ball up, stuck a tee in the ground and placed said ball on top.
We walked that 18th in silence. I knew that one word out of place and he would have erupted. He was like a wound spring.
You could tell by the way he crunched down on his crisps after the round he was like a man possessed.
Jeez. One of the worst displays of aggression I have ever witnessed on a golf course.
Who'd have thunk it???

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
No, never sent one back. As many have said, it’s too dangerous. I’ve been hit 4 times, 2 leading to hospital visits, 1 via an air ambulance.

No matter how angry you are, don’t send it back. Do you want to visit someone in hospital, or worse, because that’s what you risk?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
On the third time someone hitting it close to me, I took my driver, walked the few paces back to the ball, tee'd it up and aimed it straight out to sea. He was waving his arms around so I knew I had his attention. I swung at it, missing on purpose and gave him a long stare which basically said next time I won't miss. He never came near me after that.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Surely the tee spacing on the first more than takes care of a group in front bring more than 300 yrds ahead and setting the gap

As someone replied after, no starter. After playing a course a few times you know your markers.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

If you’ve got a player or two in the group in front who scuttle it off the tee then top their second they might be only 200yds in front by the time your tee time comes around. Equally, maybe one of the player in the group in front doesn’t turn up and they’re out of sight when the clock ticks over to your tee time. Case by case…

AussieKB

Visit site
Yes......no call of fore and it was a week after I was knocked out after taking one step off the green, guy must of hit it while we were still on the green and the next tee was back right, so I was walking into it, came too and taken off to hospital.

The guy never came near us for the remainder of the round and after he talked to the Pro no more was said, now I normally tee their ball up for their next shot, normally get an apology.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As someone replied after, no starter. After playing a course a few times you know your markers.

if no starter wouldn't setting off as soon as they're out of range screw with the overall course pace of play (sorry still off topic)

If you’ve got a player or two in the group in front who scuttle it off the tee then top their second they might be only 200yds in front by the time your tee time comes around. Equally, maybe one of the player in the group in front doesn’t turn up and they’re out of sight when the clock ticks over to your tee time. Case by case…

agree on the odd occasion groups will get into serious doodoo, but if it were that common for folk to have trouble on the first tee shot beyond the tee spacing and meant the following group usually can't go on time it just means whatever spacing is set... is too short
Similarly if folks are late to start that's surely the exception rather than the norm

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if no starter wouldn't setting off as soon as they're out of range screw with the overall course pace of play (sorry still off topic)

General rule of thumb at the club is wait for them to get to that bunker, this completely eliminates any risk of hitting, running an ankle chaser or even putting any one off with a landing ball.

This is simple common sense, unfortunately todays society means the average person doesn’t need to apply this.

Swango1980

Visit site
A couple of weeks ago the group in front were on the green, about 250 yards away (winter green). It was a frosty morning, and the first two holes by ball kept getting stuck in its own pitchmark. So, I hit a shorter club just to advance it up the fairway, hit it down the middle, and as it went through the air started looking for my tee. As I did, my playing partners said they thing I made the green. I looked up in surprise, and the group in front were looking back with their arms in the air. Oops. I didn't realise that this fairway was frozen solid, and my ball took turbo bounces as it landed.