Have you? are you?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
9 years ?

1/ Yes, 7 shots, still not enough.

2/, Yes, ok it’s only 9 holes currently, but after winning again tonight, it’s been pointed out to me that I’m averaging 4-5 over gross on each 9 hole Comp I’ve played in over the last couple of weeks.

I started poorly on our back 9 tonight, but then parred 13,14,15,17 & 18 ?

I’m not very popular at the moment ?

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Think I was on 5 when I joined

You are selling yourself short ! According to the LBGC club records you were playing off 14 in January 2012, Phil.
You must have come down quickly from there after you joined the forum. I’ve known you Playing off 4 to 6 throughout the last 6 years or so.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Joined in 2013 and was off 28 at the time.
think it was maybe 22 by end if that year.

Been around 15 for 18 months or so as have only managed 7 comps. Once I get to know a few members I’ll start putting the supplementary cards in. Feel 10 is attainable Long term but think that’ll be my limit If I’m honest. Having picked the clubs up on at least 10 occasions prior to 2013 and Scoring over 100 on a par 3 course in 2012. I’d be happy with 10, until I wanted 9 :)

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think I was playing off 8 or 9 when I joined the forum in October 2016.

Changed to a new pro for lessons around the same time, and dropped down to a 5 handicap very quickly in one season, which I have somehow stayed at for a few years. I don’t feel consistent enough to merit my handicap at present, and think I might be heading back up a few strokes when the new handicap system is introduced this year. I don’t have quite the same energy to practice as much as I used to.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Not been a member on here too long, maybe a year when I started playing regularly again. Handicap the same but I’m hopeful that as soon as comps etc start again I’ll lose a few shots

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
you sure you cant remember Homie? thought you used to be an assistant to a pro and then off low single figs? surely youre current double digits means youve gone up over the 10+ years youve been on here

Fixed that for you Fundy (y) I believe those may have been the original words ...

I've been on here over 10 years now and from memory I think that his h/c range is between about 11 and 14. I think that if I practiced as much, I'd still be crap as well. It's no good practicing your faults.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Started at 5 when I joined. Made it to 3 for a couple of seasons but now back to 4 after a health scare. I was really looking forward to being competitive in the senior ranks but I think the DLBCL has caused other issues to my back and hips so cannot swing pain free anymore.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Joined Nov 2011 primarily to investigate S&T!

1. Handicap has since come down to a heady 15.
2. Struggling to keep it there due to old age and dramatically failing bendiness ............................ and my chipping!

Last edited:

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
My handicap is three shots lower now than it was when I joined the GM Forum, but I don't believe there is any correlation between the two events.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
you sure you cant remember Homie? thought you used to be an assistant pro and then off low single figs? surely youre current double digits means youve gone up over the 10+ years youve been on here

nothing wrong with having gone up be plenty others who have me included
Ah more stalking.

The question related to handicap when joining here, not what I was off aged 16-18

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
1. Yes
2. Yes

Was low teens when joined having drifted up to 13 over the years, now back to 8 and if I can sort my irons (in my head) and get a slightly better percentage of holed 6 footers I know I can get back to 6 (my lowest ever of some 30yrs ago). But I will not work very hard on my game to try and get there (as I did not work hard to get back to 8 from 13). For me it will come through my playing by myself 6-12 holes fairly frequently in evenings during the week, on top of a round or two at weekends.

I play for the enjoyment and satisfaction of a good shot or good hole. I don't play with the objective of getting my handicap down, it will come down to whatever it comes down to. But I think that back to 6 can come.

Last edited:

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
WAs just starting out and off 28 when I joined, that slowly but surley went down to 18. Haven't been able to play properly for a couple of years due to work/family stuff but thats happily going to change from the start of next month. Reckon I could definitely lose a good few shots if I really concentrated on my chipping and getting it close from just off the green

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Joined here without a hcap, but was regularly in the 110 bracket. Met a member of my club through here who helped me get my first official hcap of 28, and that’s gradually come down to where I’m at now which is 10. Plan for the season was to get 9 or below.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I signed up here three and a half years ago I was just considering joining a club for the first time. I did that a month or two later and was given a handicap of 24, so I've come down 8 shots since then. Before this year I felt like I could go another 2 shots lower with a bit of practise, then we obviously had the two months out to halt progress - but then in my first round after two months off I still shot my handicap, so clearly the lay-off had no effect.

Back then I couldn't hit driver very well, and I was using some Yonex 12° thing off ebay. My putting was abysmal back then too, whereas nowadays it's come on leaps and bounds. My chipping was always reasonable, but pitching has come on a bit to match it now. Iron striking is still inconsistent and probably the main thing to work on. Bunkers still hit and miss, can be good or terrible depending on the sand or the day.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd suggest that all of us on this forum can reduce our handicap by a shot or two - and quite a few more for higher handicappers, by simply taking on board and learning from all the guidance on the rules that the rulies here provide for free :)

D

Deleted member 21258

1. Yes. joined just as I got back into golf, got given a handicap of 10 about the week before playing on Woburn forum day in March 2016 iirc and scored about 3 points off it:LOL: Now 8.9
2. Yes believe I am still improving, certainly more consistent in scoring but still a hacker(100 plus scoring) on my bad days and think I could get to about 7 handicap, without major swing surgery. Will I, definitely a no ;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
WAs just starting out and off 28 when I joined, that slowly but surley went down to 18. Haven't been able to play properly for a couple of years due to work/family stuff but thats happily going to change from the start of next month. Reckon I could definitely lose a good few shots if I really concentrated on my chipping and getting it close from just off the green

you rejoining or just playing some of the local courses Paul?

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. No, I have gone up by about 4 shots.

2. No, I have a spinal condition which limits me to about 9 holes before the pain kicks in, I struggle around for 18 holes, but I then need a few days rest before I can get out again. I shall continue until my h/c reaches 18 and will then most likely find something else, no self respecting man should expect more than 1 shot on a hole ;)