Hardest hole v SI 1

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It would be a really tough choice to chose between our stroke index 1-3 holes very depends on the direction an strength of the wind and depends on whether or not you are a long and straight hitter, a long hitter or a straight medium hitter.

For me it has to be a our stroke index 2 because it is uphill all the way, 2 tier green and an approach more suited to a short par 4 due to the surrounding contours. I can only reach it on a good day with a running fairway in summer.

The SI 1 one is downhill most of the way with a largish dogleg. Try to overpower the drive and you can right through the fairway in to the woods. Reachable by a medium but good accurate player

The S1 3 is a long downhill 220 yards par 3, the predominate wind is left to right, the green is two two tiered with a big left to right slope and there is a very big bunker well short of the green designed to catch any shot short and straight which bounces right on landing, woods on the left which a ball aimed too much left will normally end up in. It is the only par 3 on the course where I have had a hole in one though.

Your 3rd hole is definitely the hardest. I used to get a 4 quite regular on 14 when it was a par 5. Now it's a par 4 I always seem to get a 5 more often than a 4.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Allocation of SI has a limited amount to do with difficulty. Our are allocated in the middle of each 9 and it's a toss-up which is the order of difficulty in 1-4.

Interesting that some clubs seem to take a principle approach and allocate their par 3s high SIs and their 5s with relatively low SIs. Other courses do the opposite.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your 3rd hole is definitely the hardest. I used to get a 4 quite regular on 14 when it was a par 5. Now it's a par 4 I always seem to get a 5 more often than a 4.

Yes on 14 a 4 quite a rare score for me at my age. My biggest problem is running through the fairway on the dogleg and ending up in the trees. There is a plan to remove a lot of the trees to make it much fairer.

It really did have to go to par 4 though. Quite a few years ago when I was much fitter and stronger it became 3 iron, wedge or 9 iron for me and it is that sort of tactic for most big hitters. These days off the back tees it is driver long iron/rescue.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Merristwood: SI 1 is the 13th but I feel it should be the 15th
Ive certainly had more pars and birdies on the 13th

Hindhead: SI 1 is the 7th but I think the 235 yars par 3 8th is an absolute beast!
Yet to hold the green on the 8th, got to pure a 2 iron!

Attachments

• mw13.png
    mw13.png
    511.5 KB · Views: 4
  • mw15.png
    mw15.png
    468.9 KB · Views: 4

Hackers76

Visit site
We have 3 sets of 9, when playing blue & silver the 1st of blue is the SI 1, it’s a relatively long par 4 but not much in the way of danger. When playing silver & gold (regarded as Championship course) 5th of gold is SI 1, very tough dog leg ( near right angle) right where the fairway slopes to a brook on the right which catches sliced tee shots. There is also a big tree just over the brook so you need to hit your tee shot long enough to go past this otherwise you are trying the stinger. It’s a tough hole but I seem to play it very well, I guess being SI 1 it focusses the mind.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hole 9 at Lancaster is SI1 and it deserves it, rough hole. Tight teeshot on a hole that doglegs to the left with OB left, a stream half way down and trees down the right. Finding the fairway is the tough bit but the green slopes from back to front so hit the wrong section of the green and you can end up with a tough putt. Tough hole that has ruined plenty of cards, including mine.
That’s a great hole but it’s all down to the tee shot to get you in position.
I birdied it last time I was there. So it’s one of my faves.
I find 17 th a tough hole at Lancaster just because you can’t see the green .

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
That’s a great hole but it’s all down to the tee shot to get you in position.
I birdied it last time I was there. So it’s one of my faves.
I find 17 th a tough hole at Lancaster just because you can’t see the green .

Yeah all down to the tee shot and depending on the pin position can be relatively straight-forward if you're in a good position in the fairway.

And yeah, was going to add to the end of my post that 17's another tough one. Very tough par 4 that a lot people are forced to play as a 3 shotter due to the length. Nice hole though, nice view looking back from the green down the fairway.

D

Deleted member 21258

At home club hole 10 and 15 are 1st hardest and 2nd respectively.

For me in comps 15 is the hardest(1.3 over par) and 10 is next (1.2 over par), so pretty much spot on for me.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Merristwood: SI 1 is the 13th but I feel it should be the 15th
Ive certainly had more pars and birdies on the 13th

Hindhead: SI 1 is the 7th but I think the 235 yars par 3 8th is an absolute beast!
Yet to hold the green on the 8th, got to pure a 2 iron!
From memory you have to be below he hole on 8 as well...which makes the pin position a major factor in how the hole plays each time...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it's interesting to consider how, statistically, a hole is designated hard/hardest.

There are holes that are inherently hard to par (typically long holes) and there are holes that are fraught with danger, but can be pars for everyone from time to time. Using standard software the latter will frequently come up as hardest because the average score to par is higher, whilst the former will rarely have a string of double figure scores against it!

It doesn't matter how the stat is created except in the context of this discussion.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Our SI1, long Par 4 with all sorts of danger, is definitely worh its rating, as is the SI2 - though . But as currently a seriouly short hitter, neither are MY hardest holes. My most difficult ones are currently a couple of par 5s that I haven't been able to reach in 3 since hip replaced and struggled to even when fully healthy.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it's interesting to consider how, statistically, a hole is designated hard/hardest.

There are holes that are inherently hard to par (typically long holes) and there are holes that are fraught with danger, but can be pars for everyone from time to time. Using standard software the latter will frequently come up as hardest because the average score to par is higher, whilst the former will rarely have a string of double figure scores against it!

It doesn't matter how the stat is created except in the context of this discussion.

Our si 1 is a bit like this. Wind off left every slice is a reload. Wind behind many can hit driver short iron. Not the hardest 5 (bogie) in the world but its very easy to make a big number.

We have possibly tougher par 4s to birdie or even make par on.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes on 14 a 4 quite a rare score for me at my age. My biggest problem is running through the fairway on the dogleg and ending up in the trees. There is a plan to remove a lot of the trees to make it much fairer.

It really did have to go to par 4 though. Quite a few years ago when I was much fitter and stronger it became 3 iron, wedge or 9 iron for me and it is that sort of tactic for most big hitters. These days off the back tees it is driver long iron/rescue.
I usually play there a couple of times a year. Hopefully I will be fit enough for the county seniors next year. I've written this year off for golf.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I would say our hardest hole is probably SI 1. This is the 5th. I'm sure plenty run up a score because you really need to get a decent drive away to clear a valley.

SI 2 is the 12th, which I think it tough, but not as tough as 17 and 18. 17 in particular is tough - 392 into the win with a well guarded elevated green. A 160 yard approach can play 200 plus some days. 17 is SI4 and 18 (a long hole, but plenty of room on drive and approach). is SI8.

Obviously I get why 17 is not SI 1 as you don't necessarily want a tight match (where someone is only getting 1 or 2 shots) to be swung that late.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Looking back through HDID and our 9th statistically plays as the hardest (or second hardest). https://www.royalascotgolfclub.co.uk/course/course-tour/hole/9/

Tee shot slightly uphill and then drops and a bunker right to catch the longer hitters. When it is bone dry the big boys can hit the ditch at around 260 yards. It doesn't look an easy hole but ALWAYS plays into the wind and so when it gets up to a one club wind or more it is usually out of range for most golfers in regulation. Quite gusty today and I hit a very solid drive but still had 198 in. Even the longest in our group who flushed the drive has 177 (and hit 4H and was short). I hit 5 wood and could only get within 20 yards.

An innocent looking hole but definitely plays harder than SI 12 and definitely always in the top three hardest holes statistically in any competition