Hard compact sand.......

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
With hard compact sand, lots of loft, not much bounce on the club, and virtually pick it clean... when I was at Bowood the bunkers were mostly like that... got 60 degree sharp edged wedge specifically for it... very good off tight lies too.....rubbish out of sand seaside bunkers! :)
I switched the the Ping 58 thin sole (Gorge model) specifically for wet compact sand. I've tended to play it conventionally and taking a small divot and its coming out relatively consistently. With a few days of drier weather I might switch back to the standard sole. Funny enough, with all the wet compacted sand, it has found a real flaw in the linear method and I've had to revert a more conventional method.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played a bunker shot today from a completely compacted bunker. Laid the club open and hit steeply into the sand with the heel. Technique worked to perfection as I put the ball to tap in range from about 20yards.

Has anyone given this a go yet?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played a bunker shot today from a completely compacted bunker. Laid the club open and hit steeply into the sand with the heel. Technique worked to perfection as I put the ball to tap in range from about 20yards.

Has anyone given this a go yet?
I was hoping to but the bunkers have not only dried, but the green staff have gone round and broken up the compacted sand in all the bunkers and in most increased the depth of sand marginally. I was using a Ping thin sole as per post #21 but now gone back to the Standard (SS) to utilise more bounce. I watched the videos and the technique makes sense. If we get more downpours (likely) and the sand compacts I'll definitely get in the practice bunker and give it a go

Jason.H

Visit site
I had a bare mud lie Saturday so a little different but I had to go high to a near pin. I remembered and often use one o Seve,s tips to play a bunker shot. Literally opened the face and dropped steep in behind maybe an inch, the ball the shot up high and landed just as expected. This works out of bad rough also. It’s a go to shot for me.