Hands Forward At Impact

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do YOU manipulate your hands during the swing to get your hands in front of the ball at impact. At what point in the swing do you do this?

Or, does it happen naturally for you?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
A few things happen in the swing.... we cock our wrists so that puts the hands ahead of the club head, the club arc is now shorter so we have to shift the center of the arc forwards and down (so that we can hit the ball) and we do this with a weight shift to the left and bringing our right shoulder MORE down than it was at address. There's no 'manipulation'. What were you suggesting.....?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Totally subconscious for me, wouldn't even consider trying to think about it. Swing back, swing through.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wasn't suggesting anything.... I've read (as one does) a lot about people 'forcing' their hands forward throughout the swing and it seemed to me like a recipe for disaster. The only manipulation, like you say, should be the right shoulder and a weight shift.

D

Deleted Member 1156

You'd be a brilliant instructor...

"Here's a club, swing it,..... that's £30 please!" :thup:

The golf swing is a pretty straightforward thing, no need to make it complicated.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I found that the fix for my shanks is to get the feeling that my hands are well ahead, I must have been quite far behind as this still feels odd to me but on video doesnt look out of the ordinary at all.

D

Deleted Member 1156

You're so right, that's why everyone here is playing off scratch, in fact this game is so easy it's a joke!

I'm off to shoot 59 later, how 'bout you?

If the greens have been cut, probably 58.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You'd be a brilliant instructor...

"Here's a club, swing it,..... that's £30 please!" :thup:

Check out the OP

I think D4S answered it, while you didn't - in that post.

In the post where you did answer the question, you stated that cocking the wrist puts the hands ahead of the club-head. Can you explain how (just) cocking the wrists does that?

At Virt. It should become natural, but we natural 'sweepers' have difficulty achieving it.

Bob's drill http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ2oBmW37eY certainly helped/helps me. After a couple of weird swings it was magic! Of the 4 proper iron shots I hit last weekend, it was 50:50 old vs new style, which I count as siccess - specilly as there was water involved in a couple too!

Major benefit of the drill - and it has the approval of my anti-tech Pro mate (he says he was using it 20 years ago - which is quite recent for him) - is that it simply makes you do the right thing - without the tension-creating positional thoughts and forcing/manipulation.

If you are having problems with shaft lean, it's definitely worth at least trying imo.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Did I say that he hadn't??? I just said he'd be a brilliant instructor.

Stop yer nit-pickin' :ears:

In that case, Mr Pot, how about staying on topic? :ears:

Signed (on that front) Mr Pott!:whistle:

PS. (And back on topic) You didn't answer my question re cocking wrists (not) putting hands ahead of club-head. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
That's why I asked - to correct my mis-interpretations. You've done it before.

Are you going to answer the question?

Sure, the way we grip the club (with right below left) means that when we cock our wrists the club moves slightly (about 10 degrees) to the right because of the plane of our arms.. (and the way the right wrist cocks in relation to the left), if you don't release that wrist cock the club will always be 10 degrees behind the hands :thup:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sure, the way we grip the club (with right below left) means that when we cock our wrists the club moves slightly (about 10 degrees) to the right because of the plane of our arms.. (and the way the right wrist cocks in relation to the left), if you don't release that wrist cock the club will always be 10 degrees behind the hands :thup:

It's absolute tosh like this that makes me never want to get technical about a simple bat & ball game.

I was sure its only 8 degrees