Hands Forward At Impact

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sure, the way we grip the club (with right below left) means that when we cock our wrists the club moves slightly (about 10 degrees) to the right because of the plane of our arms.. (and the way the right wrist cocks in relation to the left), if you don't release that wrist cock the club will always be 10 degrees behind the hands :thup:

Ha. Another question of defining the terms. Cock, Hinge and Set required then. What do you mean by those.

As it happens, I'm not convinced that it's that part (backswing) that is the dominant factor of what creates the forward lean. I believe it's the combination of body position and the retention of some of the lag, while releasing sufficient to strike the ball well.

See why I don't teach!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Ha. Another question of defining the terms. Cock, Hinge and Set required then. What do you mean by those.

As it happens, I'm not convinced that it's that part (backswing) that is the dominant factor of what creates the forward lean. I believe it's the combination of body position and the retention of some of the lag, while releasing sufficient to strike the ball well.

See why I don't teach!

It's all relevant Foxy, I just isolated the wrist hinge :thup: We move the center of the swing arc forwards in the downswing which encourages the hands to lead,.. those that don't will generally have to flip or early extend, some people that DO will still flip... a bit later...

(you're learning that with your 2-ball drill) ;)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's all relevant Foxy, I just isolated the wrist hinge :thup: We move the center of the swing arc forwards in the downswing which encourages the hands to lead,.. those that don't will generally have to flip or early extend, some people that DO will still flip... a bit later...

(you're learning that with your 2-ball drill) ;)

Still need some definitions then - I've seen wrist hinge and cock described both ways!

And no. I'm happy in the knowledge that if the drill works - and it's very obvious when it does - I have no need to worry, or even know, about the technical stuff. As the whole purpose of the swing is to get the impact conditions right, I'm happy that this does that - or at least makes the improvement I ant.need.

So I'm a balance between the techie and the 'just do it'. In this case, I prefer the 'just do it' approach - knowing the techie stuff will happen.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
And no. I'm happy in the knowledge that if the drill works - and it's very obvious when it does - I have no need to worry, or even know, about the technical stuff. As the whole purpose of the swing is to get the impact conditions right, I'm happy that this does that - or at least makes the improvement I ant.need.

I agree to an extent Foxy, if the drill is giving YOU what you want then you should be happy. It just happens to not float my boat as i think you can get too steep, I believe MORE golfers actually need to shallow their swings... even the ones who hit behind the ball. Shaft lean and steepness are often confused.

What would be your definition of wrist hinge VS wrist cock?

D

Deleted Member 1156

You DO these things. Others can't.

Everyone can if they want to. It's a simple game made overly complex. Look how many juniors you see with great swings, I bet they don't haves clue about the technicalities, they just swing the club back and through.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I agree to an extent Foxy, if the drill is giving YOU what you want then you should be happy. It just happens to not float my boat as i think you can get too steep, I believe MORE golfers actually need to shallow their swings... even the ones who hit behind the ball. Shaft lean and steepness are often confused.

What would be your definition of wrist hinge VS wrist cock?

I agree with the steep/lean issue you raise. But if the contact and flight are good, then that's evidence that things are better - and is all important anyway.

It's not what I mean/understand that's important - it's what you are meaning/the recipient understands that's important.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Well they do, I guess.

Messi kicks footballs by swinging his leg back and forwards.

Yes he does and he can kick the ball high, low, straight or bend it. And I bet he does it instinctively because in football you don't have time to think. The difference in golf is you do and that's when we create problems for ourselves.

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the question is how many people actually achieve a decent impact position versus how many think they do. Every time I've played with pros & watched them live there's a distinct crack off the club face, a sound I've seldom / never heard amateurs make baring the elite.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes he does and he can kick the ball high, low, straight or bend it. And I bet he does it instinctively because in football you don't have time to think. The difference in golf is you do and that's when we create problems for ourselves.

H'mm. I think he's kicked thousands of balls and had quite a bit of coaching to get to this stage though.

Beckham and his dead-ball skills might be a better analogy with Golf btw.

At Virt. As I posted earlier, try that 2-ball drill. Be aware that there is a chance to simply get too steep though, so make sure you weight is almost all on the left leg at impact. It's the contact and ball flight that will confirm you are doing it right (or not).

Btw. You seem to have made huge progress recently and, imo, there's bound to be a little regression. I'd suggest that if you haven't already done so, you establish what are the essential/key changes that you can ensure are embedded. Otherwise, imo, there's a danger that you will either regress completely or that future changes will undo some of that progress. I've seen that happen from other such sessions a couple of times.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

I can kick a ball high, low, straight or bend it.... I can't kick it 300yds, I don't kick it with a 1m stick on the end of my shoe, the ball is 100 times bigger and I can't swing my leg behind my head - apart from that I can see the similarity :rolleyes:

I don't know why Golf Monthly bother writing tips in their magazine, I'm not sure why we need instructors at all, those guys that wrote The Golfing Machine clearly don't have a clue!!!... it's quite simple, just swing the club back and through. all those hours wasted writing all those golf books!! OMG!!.. all those DVD's!!

That bloody Leadbetter bloke has a lot to answer for! :rofl:

OR

They are correct, and the one person who says it's easy, just swing at the ball, is wrong.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I can kick a ball high, low, straight or bend it.... I can't kick it 300yds, I don't kick it with a 1m stick on the end of my shoe, the ball is 100 times bigger and I can't swing my leg behind my head - apart from that I can see the similarity :rolleyes:

I don't know why Golf Monthly bother writing tips in their magazine, I'm not sure why we need instructors at all, those guys that wrote The Golfing Machine clearly don't have a clue!!!... it's quite simple, just swing the club back and through. all those hours wasted writing all those golf books!! OMG!!.. all those DVD's!!

That bloody Leadbetter bloke has a lot to answer for! :rofl:

OR

They are correct, and the one person who says it's easy, just swing at the ball, is wrong.

Plenty of people think the golf swing is simple, its your choice to over think it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
a proper golf swing is not simple and to answer an old question from justone, completely unnatural!

I doubt there is anyone in history that has even picked up a club and swung it without any faults in a traditional manner . in fact most people fail at holding the club!

D

Deleted Member 1156

a proper golf swing is not simple and to answer an old question from justone, completely unnatural!

I doubt there is anyone in history that has even picked up a club and swung it without any faults in a traditional manner . in fact most people fail at holding the club!

I'm sorry to hear you find it difficult to swing your hands behind your head then back through in the opposite direction.