Handicaps

Do you train?

• Yes. I train specifically for golf.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I train specifically for another sport.

• Yes, I train to keep fit.

• No. I don't train.

• Total voters

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Started the season with 28.0, and I constantly struggled to get to 100 nevermind break it. Now I am playing of 24.5 and still plenty of room for more cuts.
My current course record is +16 (48pts :eek:) but that was with several very generous gimmies.

Generally my very average bash around is +22 to +26.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
13.4 at the moment but had a game with connor yesterday on his patch and after hitting the pin with my 2nd shot to par 4 1st I played like a **** (insert your own word) The way I was sprying it about my grips could have been loose. I didn't check because I know it was me :D

BTW thanks for the game, I enjoyed the company But ........

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
My current course record is +16 (48pts :eek:) but that was with several very generous gimmies.

You played stableford with gimmies?.....I need therapy after hearing this... :D
If I was playing anything other than matchplay....I'd expect to see every last putt drop.
Not having a dig.....just intrigued :)
regardless, if you are off 25 and playing between 22-26, I'd say that was rather splendid.....good for you.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Currently 19.1 hope to get down to 18 before the end of the seasons qualifying events, which given the weather recently could be next week.

DCB

Visit site
Started with first hcp of 18 more then 25 years ago. Currently off 11 (10.8) but have been as low as 8 (7.7)

Trying to get a downward trend with the hcp again after three years of pain and suffering.

Another chance this afternoon so who knows !

HartleyHare

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I made a bit of schoolboy error on Friday.
I had my third round to count for my handicap and forgot to sign the card before I handed it in!!

Can i sign the card now, after it's been received or will I need to play another round?

I don't mind playing again obviously but it means taking a day off work, as there's comps every weekend and it's a bit touch and go with the light if I play after work through the week.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have a word with the handicap secretary. As it wasn't a competitive round but for rating purposes he may be good enough to let it through. Some are little hitlers and will D/Q at the slightest infrngement and some are a bit more lenient. If not I suggest you try and rattle round one evening this week as it is getting dark by 8.15ish

Let us know if you get away with it and then write out 50 times I must check and sign my card!!!!!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to say that I'd pass an unsigned "For H'cap" card. I would however 'av a word.
It's not in the interests of the sec' to stall a new player any more than necessary.

HartleyHare

Assistant Pro
Visit site
wa hey!!!! :D

I've just checked the club website and i've got me handicap, so he must have put the last card through unsigned (won't get away with that in the comps, could be a lesson learned early).
I had an inkling he might TBH, its quite a relaxed informal club that's one of the main reasons i joined there in the 1st place, I can't be doing with the some the old fashioned stuffy attitudes you get off some.

I am aiming to get below 20 before the end of year, (I reckon it's do-able) obviously dependant on how many comps i enter.

Its 25 btw.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice one H_H.
25.....better than most of us.....who couldn't break 100 for our first 3 cards!

20 is more than do-able....you could do it only a few comps if you play well enough. If you can improve and get cut by more than 0.3 at a time (as is very possible) then you'll walk it. I made 19 (from 28) in not that many comps.

I celebrated getting to 19 by joining a new club and then worked my backside off for 3 months (mostly around the greens).....scored 45 points in my first stableford, got slashed and hauled in front of the comittee!!

Well done.....I expect to hear of a gross 89 soon.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Some are little hitlers and will D/Q at the slightest infrngement

An infringement is an infringement no matter how slight it is.

Whilst in allocation purposes the hc sec discretion (not very discreet here) has done some good what if this card was to win the club championship?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
...what if this card was to win the club championship?

Not really a difficult question.....I'd have thought an unsigned card wouldn't cause even a moments contemplation. DQ.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
...what if this card was to win the club championship?

Not really a difficult question.....I'd have thought an unsigned card wouldn't cause even a moments contemplation. DQ.

:) Just checking.

I'd rather have a little hitler that was a stiffler for the rules on a consistant basis than someone who applied the rules as and when it suited.

Whilst harsh, returning the unsigned card and delaying the allocation of a handicap would have served a lesson. I've witnessed and heard too many stories of people complaining of those 'little' things just because it has caught them out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't get me wrong our handicap secretary is known for being a little hitler and D/Q'ing for minor infringements. My point was he plays up to the fact and so it has become a running joke about who, where and when he is going to catch so and so out next. Its a clever scam because he makes sure if it is one of the "in" crowd that every gets to know about it loud and as quickly after the event as possible. Its a major embarrassment (has happened to me) and so it makes me look at my card very carefully now beofre handing it in

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
8.8 and going up have to blame that on my dickie hip played a medal two weeks ago front nine 7 pars 2 birdies out in 33 gross.
Back nine dropped nine shots, where did that come from?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Currently 11 exact after my 5 over par 76 the other day. First ever handicap was 15 - shot an 80 on a SS65 par 68. Never been higher than 15.2 and at best was 8.1. Hopefully going to rejoin the single figure club again soon