Set Make Up Question.

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi People!

Working with my LPGA pro has now got me down to the stage where I am threatening to break 80 every round. Routinely shooting 80-82 on our 6211 yard par 72 course. After some serious health problems, I am really happy with my progress and the lessons and practice are really paying off. The next stage is working with my pro on nutrition and strength training to lose weight and pick up some clubhead speed.

One of the things that was holding me back was the fact I had over 60 golf clubs (!) and would change them out almost every round. Working with my Pro we have now got it down to one set. Cobra Speed Extreme Driver set at 12.5 Degrees, an Adams Tight Lies 5 Wood, A Ping G400 9 Wood, Ping G Series Irons 4-Gap Wedge and Maltby Custom fit 56 and 60 degree wedges with a Maltby custom putter.

I also have some Adams 4,5,6 Hybrids in similar flex to my irons and in the next few weeks will be doing some comparisons to how I hit my Pings and see where (or if) to add them.

I was wondering if any other players had a "squad" of maybe 18 clubs and pick the best ones for the conditions they are playing in or how they re striking the ball, if anyone has any experiences with this concept at all.

Thanks,

CB

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Used to have 15 clubs, one being a 60 wedge that might go in if the ground was hard. Other than that I always committed to just the one set.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I don't think I've had sixty clubs in my golfing life. In 20 odd years I've had 3 sets a few different drivers, wedges and putters.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have bedroom full of bags and clubs in the main though the 6-PW remains fairly constant it just the rest that get switched around. Although I do occasionally go back to an old set of irons or buy some new ones to try.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Very occasionally change my driving iron for a hybrid, then quickly regret it and change back. Happens maybe once a year in winter.

Driver changes maybe every 4 years, Irons change about every 6 years, always while the driver is mid life, putter used to change annually, but has been set for the last 3 so hopefully sticks around. Wedges only change for wear, raw ones seem to survive longer becase theres no coating to wear off!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Apart from a spare putter I now only have the 14 clubs in my bag.

Had a couple of spares (displaced ones from my bag) but sold them recently.

To anyone with spare clubs just sitting around, consider selling them to the likes of golfclubs4cash. You might be surprised.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nope. I have 14 clubs and that's that. There are four more in the cupboard but there's no chance of them going in the bag, they are just ones I've used previously and I don't anymore. If I was buying a new club tomorrow, I'd already know which club I was replacing it with. I have 14 because you're allowed 14, but I could probably get by with 12 if I had to.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I change my set every week so have a lot of experience in switching clubs, but I do it for the pleasure of hitting the clubs rather than any performance gain.

This year I started writing the lofts of the irons I'm playing on a piece of card that goes into my scorecard holder. The lofts vary from set to set, older sets being weaker lofted.
The card helps me to have a reasonable idea on how far I might hit the ball with any club.

Most of my putters are blades (and I don't mean Anser style putters) so they all play fairly similarly and it's just a matter of finding where the sweet spot is and rolling a few purrs on the green to get the feel of the weight.