Handicaps limits in Opens

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not necessarily. At my club they are not uploaded onto the system. The cards are looked at manually, the handicaps of the top 3-4 checked to be valid against CDH, prizes given, cards put in the recycle bin. If you wanted your card to count you would either need to ask the club to do it specifically or take a copy of the card and give it to your own club handicap sec after the event. (either copy out another card with the same info on it or take a picture. Someone may confirm which is the best/correct option)

This surprised me when I first saw it, I thought the whole central database thing meant this would happen automatically but that is not the case. Other clubs may do it, this open may for example, but it is not done as a matter of course.

Incidentally, no question is a dumb question and you certainly haven't asked one so far (y)
most of the clubs up here do it automatically, you also can't enter without your CDH.

played 4 opens and all asked for my CDH and all scores were back at the club by the Monday.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not necessarily. At my club they are not uploaded onto the system. The cards are looked at manually, the handicaps of the top 3-4 checked to be valid against CDH, prizes given, cards put in the recycle bin. If you wanted your card to count you would either need to ask the club to do it specifically or take a copy of the card and give it to your own club handicap sec after the event. (either copy out another card with the same info on it or take a picture. Someone may confirm which is the best/correct option)

This surprised me when I first saw it, I thought the whole central database thing meant this would happen automatically but that is not the case. Other clubs may do it, this open may for example, but it is not done as a matter of course.

Incidentally, no question is a dumb question and you certainly haven't asked one so far (y)
Then your club is doing it all wrong

If your club is hosting a singles competition using Congu regulations and a handicap and as long as the course is set up for qualifying conditions then all scores must be submitted to CDH for handicap purposes ( unless it’s an unrecognised HC format or its pairs etc )

And yes it should be done as a matter of course

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another dumb question on that note - are open comp results shared on a national database? I will need my CDH ID to enter, so presume the results go to a database somewhere and back to my club?
Your home club should have an away book where you're supposed enter all your away competition scores.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have no problems with it but the point of a handicap is for inclusion of the game? Does this handicap limit not defeat the point of having a handicap?

So you have two low single figure players paired with two high handicap players playing off a playing handicap that is well below there actual handicaps. How would you feel as one of the low single players in that situation?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another dumb question on that note - are open comp results shared on a national database? I will need my CDH ID to enter, so presume the results go to a database somewhere and back to my club?

If it is a single player qualifying comp, the club should upload scores to the Central Database of Handicaps (CDH) which will then download to a players home club.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
BetterBall events are not recorded in the CDH but away players must inform their home club of their score and details of the comp.