Handicaps et al

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As a newbie to golf, i am a little uncertain as to handicaps etc

I know the lower the handicap, the better the ability of the golfer.

But how do you calculate scores? I seen a thread where some one has put 'post adjustments thats .... '
And what does SSS mean in relation to handicap scores.

As i have only had around 10 or rounds, i was going to wait until the beginning of next year to join a club and really persue what is a fantastic and addicting sport, and obviously get a handicap. Yet i dont really know the ins and outs of it.

thanks in advance,

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Every course has a standard score.
Most are around 70
If you play a course which has a standard score of 70 and you go round and shoot 90, your handicap is 20, ie 20 above the standard score. If you score 80, your handicap is 10 and so on
SSS is just the standard score

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sorry i stole this from another thread
@"114, 99, 112, post adjustments that's 100, 95, 95 - SSS 71 - so looking lined up for a 24 handicap."

What are post adjustments?

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's just a way of rounding down any big scores on any individual holes

Why is that? My best score is 112, but iv never rounded down any big scores on a hole.

Do you do this after a handicap mark has been allotted ? Sorry for the 20 questions bob, and thanks for the answers

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just say if the first is a par 4 and you have a 10, for getting a handicap, that would be rounded down to a 6 which is 2 over par.
Dont worry too much about, it will all become clear as you meet more golfers

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry i stole this from another thread
@"114, 99, 112, post adjustments that's 100, 95, 95 - SSS 71 - so looking lined up for a 24 handicap."

What are post adjustments?

SSS (Standard Scratch Score) is the score a Scratch Golfer (handicap 0) would be expected to score in normal course and weather conditions. The first 3 scores mentioned were the actual scores for the 3 rounds played. For the initial allocation of handicap, the 3 cards are examined for any scores higher than 2 over par for the hole and adjusted to 2 over par. After these adjustments, the best of the 3 scores has the SSS subtracted from it and - voila - you have a handicap.

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks guys, i never knew about this +2 per hole maximum shot when working out the handicap. Did a bit of searching on google and found a couple of websites explaining it too.

I worked out the adjusted scores for my last 3 rounds (out of interest) and subtracting from the SSS (73) it would still be around 31...so if this wasnt to improve by next year when i join a club would i be allotted 28? Or would i have to wait till i can prove to the club i can achieve 28?

Also, i noticed on a website about taking shots off depending on your h'cap and the S.I of a hole.

Say i was a 28 h'capper, you would recieve 2 shots off 8 holes, and 1 off 10, does this apply to any competition you would play in?

e.g hole 1 was a S.I 1 par 4 and i got a 6, would i mark it as a par?

Feel free to tell me when im becoming a pain in the derrier

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If your scores are around a 31 handicap, you would still be given 28, you dont need to wait

Each hole is given a number from 1-18.(The stroke index)
If your handicap is 18, you get a shot taken off each hole
If your h/cap is 19, the extra shot is taken off the hole with index no. 1
So off 28, you would get a shot taken off each hole and an extra shot taken off the holes with the index number 1 to10
It gets a bit more complicated when you compare stableford, matchplay, singles, foresomes etc but thats the basic idea

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
cheers bobmac,

im sure il pick up things as i go along

does the max +2 per hole only apply to gaining a h'cap and not during any other round?

during stroke play - and for arguments sake say im a 28 h'capper - on the 1st hole par 4 (S.I 1) at my local (HallGarth) i scored a 6 the other day. would i write 6 in my score or 4?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
cheers bobmac,

does the max +2 per hole only apply to gaining a h'cap and not during any other round?

during stroke play - and for arguments sake say im a 28 h'capper - on the 1st hole par 4 (S.I 1) at my local (HallGarth) i scored a 6 the other day. would i write 6 in my score or 4?

It now gets a little more complicated. Once you have a handicap and playing a medal (strokeplay) competition, you must record the gross scores. For handicap purposes only, the nett double bogey rule comes into play which means that any very high scores are reduced to one higher than the score which would have attracted one stableford point. The actual scores are still used to determine your placing in the competition.

Isn't golf a simple game.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
cheers bobmac,

No always always record the score you make wether it be 4,6,8 or 10 do the calculations afterwards.
For h/cap purposes all you will need to do is submit to the h/cap sec once you've joined a club your 3 completed cards signed by a member and he will do the math and allocated you a h/cap.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In the absence (for the moment) of a bobmac answer. When doing a card to hand in for handicap or any competition, all that you really need to get correct on the scorecard is the actual number of shots you took (your 'gross' score) - so in your example 6. It is handy and useful if you put in your 'nett' score (after taking your two shots off) as well - there will be a column for that - but that is not essential. Just get your gross score for each hole on the card and you can't go wrong. BTW - in a comp or for h'cap you wouldn't be writing your own score down on your own card - one of your player partners would...:)

MembersBounce

Club Champion
Visit site
This might be a silly question but does the member who signs your card play the round with you? I ask because I am a member but as yet I don't know any other members and I either play on my own or with mates that are visitors.

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This might be a silly question but does the member who signs your card play the round with you? I ask because I am a member but as yet I don't know any other members and I either play on my own or with mates that are visitors.

I wondered that also, currently only play with mates who arent as serious as me as geting into it, so when i join next year it will be like starting school all over...

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

I wondered that also, currently only play with mates who arent as serious as me as geting into it, so when i join next year it will be like starting school all over...

The short answer is that he must have played the round with you (or at least walked round with you - but why would anyone want to walk round without playing), observed and marked your score. He must also be acceptable to the committee - that usually means a member who already holds a handicap, although a few clubs will insist on one round with a committee member.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think the situation is that anyone with a CONGU handicap can mark and sign your card as long as they witness the round and every hole and your score on it. They don't actually have to play.