Handicaps et al

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I wondered that also, currently only play with mates who arent as serious as me as geting into it, so when i join next year it will be like starting school all over...

Put it this way - if your mates aren't serious, then they probably aren't going to know the rules of golf so they won't know whether or not what you tell them you scored on a hole is correct or not.

And yes - when you join a club for the first time it is like starting school again - but in a great way as you are learning from other members all the time. You will get 'pulled up' and sometimes 'told off' - and that may make you feel a bit silly. But don't worry - you don't learn a language by just buying a book - you have to open it - read it - practice a bit - then have a go speaking it. You get corrected all the time - but with a smile - and when you get it right - you get another smile.

MembersBounce

Club Champion
Visit site
Ok thanks. So really then, for instance if my mate joined my club tomorrow and we played a few rounds it wouldn't usually be acceptable to sign each others cards for our first official handicaps. Well that does make sense otherwise it would open the door to all sorts of cheating

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok thanks. So really then, for instance if my mate joined my club tomorrow and we played a few rounds it wouldn't usually be acceptable to sign each others cards for our first official handicaps. Well that does make sense otherwise it would open the door to all sorts of cheating

Correct.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Hmmm not always. Club I joined last year accepted the 3 cards I submitted only having ever played with my mate who joined at the same time.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
This might be a silly question but does the member who signs your card play the round with you? I ask because I am a member but as yet I don't know any other members and I either play on my own or with mates that are visitors.

I wondered that also, currently only play with mates who arent as serious as me as geting into it, so when i join next year it will be like starting school all over...

Hmmm not always. Club I joined last year accepted the 3 cards I submitted only having ever played with my mate who joined at the same time.

Well that's all right then, the club must have seen something in you and your mate that merited the description "responsible persons acceptable to the Handicap Committee". I hope you repaid their faith.

MembersBounce

Club Champion
Visit site
Club pro confirmed to me yesterday that I will need to play with an existing member that has a handicap in order for him or her to mark and sign my cards. As I don't yet know any he said he will look out for someone suitable for me.