Handicap

Carl0403

Visit site
Not long started playing golf ( as you'll guess by question :eek: ) and wondered if someone can tell me how you work out your handicap?? Also is there a top level for this eg no more than 36 or whatever.

Cheers Carl.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Carl, and welcome to the forum.

Basicaly it's worked out on how many shots worse than the par score you play your golf. Most folks hand in 3 cards when they join a club and someone with the brains or software works out your level from this. Max h'cap is often 28 for Men, this would be an average of going round the course in around about 100 shots.

Carl0403

Visit site
Hi Carl, and welcome to the forum.

Basicaly it's worked out on how many shots worse than the par score you play your golf. Most folks hand in 3 cards when they join a club and someone with the brains or software works out your level from this. Max h'cap is often 28 for Men, this would be an average of going round the course in around about 100 shots.

I've only been round 3 times and got 120 or 121 each time so still some to go yet :D. Have been playing more on a par 3 near home and down to 69 which i'm pleased about seems ok after 4 months. Best get back on the full courses again.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
120.....yup, a tad high for a h'cap, but you'll crush this very quickly (everyone does!). The difficulty is getting under 100 without help or natural talent.

first 9 I played was 96! (192!!! :))

first full 18 I played was 114.

best full 18 I've played was 74.

easy game.......

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Best get back on the full courses again.

Not necessarily Carl. On a par 3 course you should really hone your short game and this is one sure-fire way of bringing your handicap down. You'll be amazed how quickly you'll be breaking 110, then 100, then... ;)

Good luck and good swingin'

Carl0403

Visit site
120.....yup, a tad high for a h'cap, but you'll crush this very quickly (everyone does!). The difficulty is getting under 100 without help or natural talent.

first 9 I played was 96! (192!!! :))

first full 18 I played was 114.

best full 18 I've played was 74.

Sounds like i'm where most?? people start. Really enjoying it but still finding feet. Quite confusing at start people saying to use softer balls ( i was like what?? There all rock hard :D. Think i'm working that one out now. Using Callaway Big Bertha balls and seem to get on well with them but no idea how soft or whatever they are :D

easy game.......

Carl0403

Visit site
Best get back on the full courses again.

Not necessarily Carl. On a par 3 course you should really hone your short game and this is one sure-fire way of bringing your handicap down. You'll be amazed how quickly you'll be breaking 110, then 100, then... ;)

Good luck and good swingin'

Cheers. It's convienient on par 3 at the mo so i'll keep going... and smiling.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Par 3 courses are a top way to get going. If you can hit greens from 100 yards in you can play to 18 no sweat.

Big Bertha balls are pretty "solid", I have a few warbirds in my bag....t.b.h. distance balls don't stress me out.

I'd stick with something like that. Soft balls are better for getting a good feel for putting and short shots.

Dave

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Am i right in thinking that when you hand in your cards, anything over a double bogey just gets put down as a double bogey? I was told this was because an absolute nightmare of a hole happens from time to time and it's a way of evening out the averages for the purpose of handicaps?

Have I had my leg pulled and this is complete tosh?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
you are correct billyg.....

might explain how I sneaked an 11.5 h'cap with two 7s on my card!!!

Carl0403

Visit site
Par 3 courses are a top way to get going. If you can hit greens from 100 yards in you can play to 18 no sweat.

Big Bertha balls are pretty "solid", I have a few warbirds in my bag....t.b.h. distance balls don't stress me out.

I'd stick with something like that. Soft balls are better for getting a good feel for putting and short shots.

Dave

Hit 6 greens in a row in the weekand was ecstatic :cool: not getting too carried away as a long way to go but hopefully i'm pointing the right way :D