Handicap question?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's no right answer - agonising over one is madness!

To support this I would highlight that in 18 months a recent entrant to the game could easily have progressed from 24 to 10; and equally easily someone playing regularily for their 24 could struggle with only the odd game to play to 28.

I can only suggest that yiu play off 2 less than your mates think you should, and walk tall in your, and their, eyes.

It's a shame that it's always tough when you win a handicap event at golf - not only are others quick to suggest it's your handicap rather than your effort on the day; but you end up thinking it yourself!

Put it behind you now - and after Cooden I'm sure there will be many more opinions as to an appropriate figure 🤔

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's no right answer - agonising over one is madness!

To support this I would highlight that in 18 months a recent entrant to the game could easily have progressed from 24 to 10; and equally easily someone playing regularily for their 24 could struggle with only the odd game to play to 28.

I can only suggest that yiu play off 2 less than your mates think you should, and walk tall in your, and their, eyes.

It's a shame that it's always tough when you win a handicap event at golf - not only are others quick to suggest it's your handicap rather than your effort on the day; but you end up thinking it yourself!

Put it behind you now - and after Cooden I'm sure there will be many more opinions as to an appropriate figure 🤔

Thanks Duncan, a voice of reason. :)

TomTom

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Chris is one of the true nice guys on the forum and I have absolutely no doubt that he would always decide the most appropriate handicap for any game. I'd be very happy that he has a really good day at the office as I'm certain he would play as fair as possible

I'm sorry but I can't give this

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Duncan

Of course there is a right answer, as I've pointed out it's easy to regulate your own h/c by adjusting it to the sss of the courses you play,

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If he became a Member of a Club then he would have a proper handicap!

Of course he would but that's a pointless post and doesn't contribute much to the discussion, there's many reasons people don't choose to become members.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Of course he would but that's a pointless post and doesn't contribute much to the discussion, there's many reasons people don't choose to become members.

Why are you and your brother avoiding my simple question?

It's a very simple case. Your brother asks what is a fair handicap to play off, he's previously won a golf day shooting 86, so surely 18-20 is extremely fair, no?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why are you and your brother avoiding my simple question?

It's a very simple case. Your brother asks what is a fair handicap to play off, he's previously won a golf day shooting 86, so surely 18-20 is extremely fair, no?

I'm not avoiding your question, I thought I answered it by stating what h/c he should recive if he shoot that in a official competition,

You say no player should shoot 86 off a 24h/c
but he played off 24 for at least 10 years being a member, for the past year or so he has not been a member and plays no more than once a week, then has a rare day and shoots 86.

So my thinking is the fairest way to adjust his h/c 'fair' is to try and do it the way most of us members get our h/c adjusted.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not avoiding your question, I thought I answered it by stating what h/c he should recive if he shoot that in a official competition,

You say no player should shoot 86 off a 24h/c
but he played off 24 for at least 10 years being a member, for the past year or so he has not been a member and plays no more than once a week, then has a rare day and shoots 86.

So my thinking is the fairest way to adjust his h/c 'fair' is to try and do it the way most of us members get our h/c adjusted.

I didn't say that and you are avoiding the subject of allocating a "fair" handicap.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry I thought by your post saying I didn't answer a simple question of yours you thought I was avoiding the matter.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That you're just making it up as you go along!

Yet another stupid post, your comment, 'sorry but can't give this' was a reply to Chrisd , so I don't understand who you think is just making it up as they go along.

This question was asked in ask the experts section you should refrain from posting in this section until you learn to contribute in a more constructive way.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks Duncan, a voice of reason. :)

To follow on from Duncan's reply, could you do what I (and a lot of other golfers it seems) have done, and arrange an 'online' unofficial handicap from somewhere like Golfshake? I'm not attached to a club, so i keep my scores on there and it tracks your handicap as any other system would (to my knowledge). There are also paid for options to give you certificates or handicap card, should you be playing a venue where a certificate is required (there's a list of some top top courses, including the Old Course at St Andrews, that accept it as a proof of handicap online).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If these last three rounds (100, 100, 86) were for an initial handicap allocation what would it have been, just guessing at around the 15 or 16 mark

If you were still a club member what would you get your 24 reduced to on those same scores, about 21 I think

Just split the difference and go for 19

(Not an expert)

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
This tone of post is not what I expected.

Perhaps I should clarify a few points.

Firstly, I had a valid handicap up until the end of October 2016, my understanding is that a handicap is valid for up to a year after membership ceases. So playing at Cooden my handicap was valid. I donated my winnings that day to the Air Ambulance that attended RickG at The Centurion Golf Club.

I was a guest at my brothers club that didn't require an official handicap. The first prize for the guest was a golf shirt. First for a member was a flat screen tv - only fair that a member should get a better prize.

I'd better check with Rob re the Cooden meet to see if he requires official handicaps, if he does then I will not play, after all, I want to adhere to the good spirit of golf.

Chris,

If you had a handicap until October 2016, then it was valid when you played at the Cooden meet. Therefore, in my view your score of 43 points on the day was and should be acceptable to EVERYONE. You had a 100% valid entry and were perfectly entitled to win anything. The fact you had a stonking day is perfectly acceptable and understandable. End of that discussion.

I did not realise you were asking what to do going forward at future events - you did not make this clear - well at least I didn't get it. So I apologise for suggesting or casting any aspersions on your right to win.

However, going forward which is what your post is about - is I still hold the view that to win money or prizes from a non-existent handicap (even if it is an old one) is in my opinion - not good form or the spirit of golf. Especially if you win by such a large margin. If you shoot 36/37/38 no problem. People will accept that, but 43 points plus is not.
In my view you will always face the wrath of players with an official handicap when you do this.

So, without a handicap if you play any society event in future I would suggest you choose a number to play from which - if you have a good day - you would shoot 36 or so. From reading the recent posts that seems to be about 20. Also without a handicap I would only guest in a club event/invitation if I made it clear I had no Congu status and that was accepted by the organiser.

In summary - you asked the question of this forum, and the overall response seems to be play of what YOU feel is right and honourable.

That's my view and I hope you consider it is the way it was meant - my honest opinion to the question you asked. I hope to see you at Cooden in July and Ill buy you a beer!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chris,

If you had a handicap until October 2016, then it was valid when you played at the Cooden meet. Therefore, in my view your score of 43 points on the day was and should be acceptable to EVERYONE. You had a 100% valid entry and were perfectly entitled to win anything. The fact you had a stonking day is perfectly acceptable and understandable. End of that discussion.

I did not realise you were asking what to do going forward at future events - you did not make this clear - well at least I didn't get it. So I apologise for suggesting or casting any aspersions on your right to win.

However, going forward which is what your post is about - is I still hold the view that to win money or prizes from a non-existent handicap (even if it is an old one) is in my opinion - not good form or the spirit of golf. Especially if you win by such a large margin. If you shoot 36/37/38 no problem. People will accept that, but 43 points plus is not.
In my view you will always face the wrath of players with an official handicap when you do this.

So, without a handicap if you play any society event in future I would suggest you choose a number to play from which - if you have a good day - you would shoot 36 or so. From reading the recent posts that seems to be about 20. Also without a handicap I would only guest in a club event/invitation if I made it clear I had no Congu status and that was accepted by the organiser.

In summary - you asked the question of this forum, and the overall response seems to be play of what YOU feel is right and honourable.

That's my view and I hope you consider it is the way it was meant - my honest opinion to the question you asked. I hope to see you at Cooden in July and Ill buy you a beer!

Thanks for that Heronsgyll, (sorry, don't know your first name).

Looking forward to July at Cooden and the beer!

Well I've played quite a bit since this thread started.

Last Friday was my first Society outing, where my handicap from last year was 26 but decided to play off 21 after taking into account discussions on here.
I didn't play well at all and shot 25 points on a tough course: Mannings Heath Waterfall. So even playing to 24 would not have made any difference.

Then straight on to our away 3 days at Lingfield Golf.
First round front 9 I scored a measley 6 points, yes 6!:( But back 9 getting it back together with 19 points, so again 25 - and playing off 21.

Next day, well, an embarrassing 14 points on 18 holes!

Following day, a much better 28 points with only 30 putts.

See what I meant in an earlier post saying, " I'm likely to shoot 24 points being the inconsistent golfer that I am".

Finally, as mentioned, I was a member with a full Congu handicap for over 10 years, so very experienced of playing to a handicap. The last club as a member, where I was at for 18 months, I joined with a handicap of 22.3. In the time there I only buffered twice and went up .1 after every medal or stableford comp. So ended up with 24.4 exact. It was a tough course playing off the white competition tees which I found difficult to play well off.
The comps that I scored well on were forum meets or friendly from the yellow tees - makes all the difference.

So I think a fair handicap for me at the moment is 21.