Handicap question.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've played one round so far for my handicap and went round in 105, had a couple of nightmare holes but got told with the 2 blokes i was playing with that it wouldn't matter too much as anything over triple bogey get's adjusted down to double. So doing this with my score it would make it 94.

Am i right in thinking that if this is my best card my handicap would be 23?

The course is a par 71 with a sss of 71.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok cool, i was only asking as someone who i work with said i wouldn't get a 23 handicap with shooting such a high score.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Yes, that's the way it's worked out unless there is any other information available such as having previously held a lower handicap. Your club should simply follow the process but many don't do this to the letter. They may take into account things like your age (if you are a junior or young adult) and maybe give you a slightly lower handicap than they should. Just do your best and it all works out in the end. Golf is for the long term :)

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok thanks for the replys, i was just abit unsure as to how it was exactley worked out as i've heard diffrent storys.

I best start playing abit better then if i'm going to be getting a 23 handicap!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
not only is there a difference in the way clubs calculate initial handicaps but there also seems to be a difference in how they calculate CSS.

I thought it was based on the scores of Grp 1 and 2 but mine does it on the % of players scoring SSS+2 or better

you would think there should be a standard procedure

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
not only is there a difference in the way clubs calculate initial handicaps but there also seems to be a difference in how they calculate CSS.

I thought it was based on the scores of Grp 1 and 2 but mine does it on the % of players scoring SSS+2 or better

you would think there should be a standard procedure
The process is the same Steve. You can find out how they calculate the CSS on the Congu website. It is a pretty complicated process. It is based on SSS+2 but i am sure the calculation is weighted towards Cat 1 golfers as they are more consistent.

As for the OP your score on bad holes is rounded down to a NETT double bogey. If the stroke index is less than your handicap on a par 4 it will be rounded down to a 7 and not a six

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
CSS is calculated by the software and as above is a standard process. It is based on the proportion of Cat1,2 and 3 who score SSS+2 or better. This is why it is important for all scores to be input as if there are a load of NR's missing then the proportion is higher and CSS may go down when it really shouldn't have done. Also, there is a common misconception that if there are some very low scores then the CSS will go down when in fact a really low score only counts just the same in the calculation as a score of SSS+2. Conversely it is possible for the CSS not to go up despite there being very few scores in the red.