handicap card

cosworth

Assistant Pro
Visit site
im not ready to commit to a membership of a club yet so have a question?
as i want to play a variety of local courses the prob i have is i need a card.so where i usually play they have 2 courses/12 public/18members.i mostly play the 12 but few times done the 18 which i can use without a card so can i put some scores in on this 18 even though i dont have a membership with them and get a card based on this?
i know you prob cant comment on this one course but whats the general idea please?

thanks

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I *don't* think he can get a handicap on courses he's not a member of because to get a handicap, I think you have to be affiliated to your local golfing Union, eg the EGU for anyone in England. Usually affiliation is automatic when you're a member of a club so any handicap you get through the club is official. I'm a member of a pay and play course and if I want a handicap I have to pay an extra £50 to join the "club" section, which exists purely for handicap and competition purposes. If I don't do that, I can't get an official handicap on that course despite paying £650 a year to be a cardholder there.

Having said that, there is a scheme that allows people to get at least some sort of handicap without joining a club. I think this might be it. The handicap you get through this scheme still isn't official but it's better than nothing. The site says:

2: Is your handicap Official
No. The only way to obtain an official EGU handicap is to join a private golf club. Our handicaps are, however, recognised and accepted at most courses throughout the UK and indeed the rest of the world. Most popular requests are for handicaps for Spain and Portugal. All courses in Spain and Portugal, (mainly the Costa Del Sol and Algarve) accept our handicap certificates.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are ways, whether they are really recognised is debatable. No doubt anything by the EGU would be kosher.

I joined a public course and got one for £35 (effectively).
Then with a handicap, I joined a course that wouldn't even answer the phone to a non-h'cap player.

Been out for years, just handed in my 3rd card today at my new club.

subject to no "issues" as of next week realgolferuk is back, with a genuine h'cap and ready to take on the big boys courses again!!

So pleased with myself!!

Dave