Halfway houses

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Ours is a window into the clubhouse kitchen..it's only 30 yards from the 10th tee..it does get used but not a huge amount.
I'm not overly keen on a halfway stop..the knee joints and the back start to stiffen up if I don't keep moving so I'm not sitting down...

Mandofred

Visit site
Never been a fan of the halfway house. When I start a round I prefer to keep moving. I don't know how many times I have been playing well, had to stop because the other people want to stop......and then because of the break things get worse. I'm there to golf, not to eat. I'll eat after I'm done. I've always got munchies in my bag anyway.

D

Deleted member 23344

It adds to the time taken to get round and can cause a bottleneck, which in turn causes slow play.

The one at Rookwood is certainly a bottleneck. For some reason people always stop there … more than once I have come off the 9th green with all groups having previously been nicely spaced, only to find several groups on the 10th tee rejoining after a stop at the hut. It is a reciprocal for my club and I used to occasionally play it, but I stopped because of the halfway hut.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Leighton Buzzard has a halfway hut by the 10th tee, which is also right next to the clubhouse. It gets a lot of traffic and you'll often get people buying something pre-round as well as halfway round.

I use it regularly as does everyone I've ever played with.

It takes a couple of minutes out of the round and supports the club, not sure why some of you are so against it ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We don’t have one .
But during covid when we eventually opened up ,if you phoned up one of the staff would be waiting on the 9th green with your order.
It was great ,but stopped now!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Westerham is great because you pass the clubhouse and spike bar between 9th green and 10th tee. The ladies love that, cos they can stop for the facilities (as do some gents) and it's great to top up a water bottle in summer or grab a tea/coffee/soup in winter. They now have a cabinet with sandwiches and sausage rolls and a sign by the 18th tee for you to phone an order in. Takeaway only though; no-one stops for any length of time.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our half way hut is very well used during comps at weekends, but isn’t open during the week usually. All groups stop for approx 10 mins, so it doesn’t really have a concertina impact. There is a facility to ring your order in on the hole before if you want bacon/sausage sandwich. Other than that there’s the usual sausage rolls/pies/sarnies. Hot drinks are very popular. They do sell cans of alcohol, but I’ve never seen anyone buy them.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Are these separate halfway houses used because the 9th green isn't near the clubhouse ?
Our 9th and 18th are both outside the clubhouse as is the 1st tee. As a consequence the club use a ground floor room in the clubhouse which is conveniently situated adjacent to the path leading to the 1st and from the 9th green to 10th tee. It is open on competition days when the booking system indicates a sizeable number of people playing, and is generally well-supported. It would be pretty pointless on days when only general play is taking place.

Mandofred

Visit site
Leighton Buzzard has a halfway hut by the 10th tee, which is also right next to the clubhouse. It gets a lot of traffic and you'll often get people buying something pre-round as well as halfway round.

It takes a couple of minutes out of the round and supports the club, not sure why some of you are so against it ?
Some people like to stop, some don't. For me it's the same thing as a slow round where you stand around waiting to hit all the time......longer breaks between shots end up creating more bad shots for me. Same theory works for the practice range for me.....I hit much better out there because there are short breaks between hitting the next ball and I focus better. I've nothing against halfway houses if it is a very short stop. Current club has one, but it isn't used much.

I know at my last club a few years ago somebody would stop and pick up a ton of great quality sausage rolls from somewhere that they sold at the halfway house on Saturdays.....very popular, but I don't think they actually made much of any money out of it. I never bought them, not much of a sausage roll person.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some people like to stop, some don't. For me it's the same thing as a slow round where you stand around waiting to hit all the time......longer breaks between shots end up creating more bad shots for me. Same theory works for the practice range for me.....I hit much better out there because there are short breaks between hitting the next ball and I focus better. I've nothing against halfway houses if it is a very short stop. Current club has one, but it isn't used much.

I know at my last club a few years ago somebody would stop and pick up a ton of great quality sausage rolls from somewhere that they sold at the halfway house on Saturdays.....very popular, but I don't think they actually made much of any money out of it. I never bought them, not much of a sausage roll person.
I seem to remember your old club did very nice homemade flapjack at the halfway house ?. It was being moved last time I was there so I don't know if those people, and the flapjack, are still there.

Mandofred

Visit site
I seem to remember your old club did very nice homemade flapjack at the halfway house ?. It was being moved last time I was there so I don't know if those people, and the flapjack, are still there.
They have built a new halfway house since I've been gone, newer small building plus covered area which was going to be nice. I used to play with quite a few people who just loved to stop for a bite/drink. They have gone through several folks doing the food service, seems like an issue a lot of clubs have.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Ours is very much part of the club. Everyone stops, most order hot food and a drink.

Order food when you’re on 7th green, ready for when you walk in the hut. Group in front then move on, you eat and it just flows

It’s privately run, speculation on her turnover is a regular talking point! I reckon £100k pa.

I think she pays some rent to the club, obviously all the stock and then pays someone for 2 days while she works the other 5. Open from first thing until about 3pm

D

Deleted member 23344

Perhaps because you're given the opportunity to buy a voucher for bacon / sausage roll / sandwich and drink when signing in / paying at the Pro Shop

They don’t need to stop though… they could pick them up and move on.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Previously it was an old shed by the 10th, everything produced by the kitchen upstairs, sausage rolls, pasties, soup, tea & coffee. Baps with soggy bacon and anemic sausages, wasn't really that good. Would often run out of food as the kitchen was franchised at that time and they just weren't interested in the halfway. We revamped it a year or so back, built a new hut with the ability to cook in rather than feed everything from the kitchen upstairs, put someone in it that was keen to make it work and it has blossomed. The bacon and sausages are now properly cooked, you can phone directly and order from the course, I phone on my down on a Friday so my sandwich is ready when I get there - bagged and paid from my account, just pick it up and take it with me to the first. The food is much fresher, they do custom made sandwiches now too (tuna mayo with red onion and black pepper is my staple). They sell cakes, chocolate bars, fruit, soft drinks and beer, it's a much improved layover, and quite popular as a lot of members seem to use it now, myself included.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Previously it was an old shed by the 10th, everything produced by the kitchen upstairs, sausage rolls, pasties, soup, tea & coffee. Baps with soggy bacon and anemic sausages, wasn't really that good. Would often run out of food as the kitchen was franchised at that time and they just weren't interested in the halfway. We revamped it a year or so back, built a new hut with the ability to cook in rather than feed everything from the kitchen upstairs, put someone in it that was keen to make it work and it has blossomed. The bacon and sausages are now properly cooked, you can phone directly and order from the course, I phone on my down on a Friday so my sandwich is ready when I get there - bagged and paid from my account, just pick it up and take it with me to the first. The food is much fresher, they do custom made sandwiches now too (tuna mayo with red onion and black pepper is my staple). They sell cakes, chocolate bars, fruit, soft drinks and beer, it's a much improved layover, and quite popular as a lot of members seem to use it now, myself included.
Have you left your wedge leaning against the counter yet? ?

AussieKB

Visit site
In OZ just about every group stops to collect beer for the back nine.
Also I go to Thailand twice a year and they have huts after every three holes, temp in the 90's so it's most welcoming.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As much as I’m not a fan of stopping for 10-15mins or whatever, I don’t mind a brief stop to pick up a coffee/soup/cold drink, go to loo, and a brief sit down when having to wait for group ahead to clear for us to tee off.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
All you halfway hut dislikers be glad you're not playing in Japan. Always a forced 1 hour stop, essentially for a full two course lunch and beer before embarking on the back 9.... the upside, the buggies are all automatic so no one driving after drinking, and if it's raining, they will have all your gear, including clubs and waterproofs dried out and ready to go again.