Halfway houses

D

Deleted member 23270

It adds to the time taken to get round and can cause a bottleneck, which in turn causes slow play.
It may add a few minutes to the round but it doesn't cause a bottleneck. In fact it can be used to space out bottlenecks which is what happens at my club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We have one…serves usual stuff inc bottled beers. It’s fairly new, built in last ten years.

Drawback of having one that caused resistance to it being built is that groups can stop for quite different lengths of time, so if the group in front takes its time, the following group can be on the green before they have teed off. If the group on the green aren’t interested in taking their time at the HH, they find themselves hard up against the group that took longer.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We don't have one and I would rarely use it if we did. Holiday golf is a bit different, happy to avail myself of a halfway house if there is one.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been an member at clubs with a half way hut and would rather than a half way hut than a club house. On an early morning weekend round it is perfect to have a short break for a bacon roll and a coffee. The bacon is par cooked so only takes minute to get the rolls ready. Rules are clear that you move on when the group ahead reaches the next green and that was well adhered to. If you wanted to stay then you simply invited groups through. Some groups would sit there for a while letting everying through and enjoying a chat. Never caused a problem or hold up. In fact, as most people used the half way hut, it spread groups out who had become bunched up and made for a more plesant pace on the back 9.

When I played at that club, I used the half way hut every week, rarely used the clubhouse and the same applies now, I would use a half way hut far more than a clubhouse.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
We have one where you can get hot soup in the winter. The rest of the year it's just somewhere to fill up a water bottle. There is a kettle in there but I've never seen anyone use it.
If I play at a course with a halfway house (Stoke Rochford, Woodhall Spa, Lincoln, Market Rasen are the local ones that I play most often) then I nearly always buy something.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are these separate halfway houses used because the 9th green isn't near the clubhouse ?

Sometimes but other times they are just set up as quick catering facilities that can provide food and drink on the go quickly which the clubhouse may not be geared up to do (at my old club, the catering facilities were not always open by the time the early starters got to half way and I could have played 3 or 4 more holes in the time it took to produce a bacon sandwich).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are these separate halfway houses used because the 9th green isn't near the clubhouse ?
There are two near to me, one my own club, but both are relatively near to the clubhouse. However, you can't go in either with golf shoes and they are far enough away that it would delay matters. Having the hut right next to the 9th green, 10th tee box etc is just more convenient.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
It's like anything else. You can stop and it messes everything up, or people are sensible and it is a great addition.

Sunningdale's halfway hut is legendary, as it Wentworth's... they have two. One for Est and West and one on the Edinburgh. Turnberry might be the best building.

Blooming marvellous if done well.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The halfway house is in the 19th at weekends, selection of various snacks that rotates (I recommend the burritos if they're on), soup in winter, fresh fruit or some home baked goodies.

Our group always visits; if we've made enough ground on the group behind we'll stop, if not we'll eat on the hoof. We still manage inside 4 hours for 18 holes so don't see an issue with using it.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our 1/2 house is run by a family separate from the golf club. Serves hot drinks, soft drinks, sausage rolls, pasties, chocolate bars, and bacon rolls. Open most days except Tuesdays I think.

AAC

Visit site
Our halfway house is open most days and sells hot & cold sandwiches/rolls, cakes, tea/coffee etc (no alcohol). I mainly play on a Sunday morning and 95% of people stop at the very least for a drink, if a group doesn't want to stop they are waved through. Yes it adds a few minutes but it is a facility I would not want to lose.

D

Deleted member 23270

There are two near to me, one my own club, but both are relatively near to the clubhouse. However, you can't go in either with golf shoes and they are far enough away that it would delay matters. Having the hut right next to the 9th green, 10th tee box etc is just more convenient.
What kind of idiot sets a rule that you can't go into the halfway hut in golf shoes?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No halfway house at my club. I have only played at a couple of courses that had them, and for the most part I wouldn't bother using one. I bring a protein bar as a halfway snack anyway, and I've no interest in stopping for 15 minutes, losing all my rhythm and then topping it off the 10th tee.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
No halfway house at my club. I have only played at a couple of courses that had them, and for the most part I wouldn't bother using one. I bring a protein bar as a halfway snack anyway, and I've no interest in stopping for 15 minutes, losing all my rhythm and then topping it off the 10th tee.

Come on, let’s not blame the halfway house for topping it off the tee!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What kind of idiot sets a rule that you can't go into the halfway hut in golf shoes?
Ha ha, sorry I've worded that badly. I was replying to a point about why have a halfway hut at a point near to a clubhouse. You can't go into either of the clubhouses I was talking about in golf shoes, not the halfway huts. I didn't make that clear, sorry.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Ha ha, sorry I've worded that badly. I was replying to a point about why have a halfway hut at a point near to a clubhouse. You can't go into either of the clubhouses I was talking about in golf shoes, not the halfway huts. I didn't make that clear, sorry.

Guess it depends on the floor covering
There's not a single space in the clubhouse that we can't go in soft spikes and spikeless (Inc the boardroom)
Mostly Wood with some ceramic floor tile

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Guess it depends on the floor covering
There's not a single space in the clubhouse that we can't go in soft spikes and spikeless (Inc the boardroom)
Mostly Wood with some ceramic floor tile
Most of the clubs around here still love a plush carpet ?. Funnily enough, now I thing about it, the proprietary clubs and hotel courses tend to be more laminate and 'come in with your spikeless shoes' but most members clubs like their carpets.

Carpets and the odd bit of mud are not good companions to be fair but it is a bit old fashioned to keep carpeting bars and lounges. Different climates ...........

D

Deleted member 23270

??? ?