Had a Driver fitting today!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Along I went, had some spare time this morning and the weather wasn't conducive to solo golf.
Had half a bucket on the range to warm up and then the BigDogs began to appear.
Started with the Nike MAchspeed - round and square. Got on alright with them but the spin rates were all high 3000's to mid 4000's and we couldn't bring it down - discarded
On to the G15 -I know.... - mahoosive spin rates - discarded
A Macgregor driver - much the same as the Nike - discarded
Tour Edge Exotic - Mmmm not bad, very long but a bit wayward - on the maybe pile. (but ultimately discarded)
Callaway Octane and Razr - see Nike/Macgregor - discarded.
Titleist 910. After seeing the earlier figures we went straight to the D3 head. Tried the Kai'li and Ahina in varying weights, but still the spin wouldn't drop. Almost all the clubs so far were carrying 230, rollout to 245 from 100mph swing speed and 145-150 ball speed.
I had to ask to try the RIP shaft as they thought there was a massive upcharge for it. I thought it was a stock shaft so they checked and Titleist comfirmed no upcharge.
Back to the range and the RIP proved a winner. Spin came down to around 2500rpm, carry went up to nearly 240 with another 20 rollout. Swing speed was up to 102/104, ball speed 150/153. Launch angle was 13-14 degrees. Good dispersion figures too. All with the standard setting. Did try others but they didn't help!

So I'm nearly the proud owner of a 910 D3 9.5 with the RIP 60 shaft in stiff!! Price, including fitting which took nearly 2 hours, - £250!! Hopefully by next weekend!!

Result.

I'm sure I'll still be able to carve one into the next fairway but at least now I'll know it's me and not the club.

Figures for my FT5 were - carry 220, spin 3800, wing speed 99, ball speed 140, launch angle - 9!!

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cracking shaft in that driver have hit the D2 in the Kahli stiff shaft felt dead but tried craws RIP shaft and its superb the 1 i did was superb,just waiting on the R11 now

Imurg

Visit site
where did you go Imurg?

Southfields in the end. I had a half bucket of my own driver before the fitting so I could guage the flight with the slope of the range. Got "done" by Pierre the Frenchie - good guy!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
thanks mate, hopefully getting a fitting done when down at Brocket Hall in a week or so, not a fan of Southfields as a place to try clubs out. Glad you got what you want (he says jealously through gritted teeth lol)

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Happy days, hope it works.
I was happy with my current driver..... until I tried one of the fellas r9 with a rip shaft in at the range tonight, now my driver is looking a new home, and I am trying to negotiate a good price for the r9 :)

T

thecraw

Welcome to the club, and what a club it is.

My G15 was providing spin rates of just unde 4000RPM!

The RIP shaft has a high kick point in the shaft which gives the club a lower ball flight.

A

Alex1975

Sounds like it was great fun and interesting to see another member of the 910 club. Can this thing do no wrong?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are like me you will wrap the shaft in cotton wool. Barely a day goes by without me checking the shaft on my driver is in perfect condition...

Oh that reminds me :D

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Along I went, had some spare time this morning and the weather wasn't conducive to solo golf.
Had half a bucket on the range to warm up and then the BigDogs began to appear.
Started with the Nike MAchspeed - round and square. Got on alright with them but the spin rates were all high 3000's to mid 4000's and we couldn't bring it down - discarded
On to the G15 -I know.... - mahoosive spin rates - discarded
A Macgregor driver - much the same as the Nike - discarded
Tour Edge Exotic - Mmmm not bad, very long but a bit wayward - on the maybe pile. (but ultimately discarded)
Callaway Octane and Razr - see Nike/Macgregor - discarded.
Titleist 910. After seeing the earlier figures we went straight to the D3 head. Tried the Kai'li and Ahina in varying weights, but still the spin wouldn't drop. Almost all the clubs so far were carrying 230, rollout to 245 from 100mph swing speed and 145-150 ball speed.
I had to ask to try the RIP shaft as they thought there was a massive upcharge for it. I thought it was a stock shaft so they checked and Titleist comfirmed no upcharge.
Back to the range and the RIP proved a winner. Spin came down to around 2500rpm, carry went up to nearly 240 with another 20 rollout. Swing speed was up to 102/104, ball speed 150/153. Launch angle was 13-14 degrees. Good dispersion figures too. All with the standard setting. Did try others but they didn't help!

So I'm nearly the proud owner of a 910 D3 9.5 with the RIP 60 shaft in stiff!! Price, including fitting which took nearly 2 hours, - £250!! Hopefully by next weekend!!

Result.

I'm sure I'll still be able to carve one into the next fairway but at least now I'll know it's me and not the club.

Figures for my FT5 were - carry 220, spin 3800, wing speed 99, ball speed 140, launch angle - 9!!

Mmm, high spin and low launch. I am going to take a wild guess that you hit down on the ball with the driver.

Odd that the shop didn't know the RIP was a stock shaft. Did you try the Project X (also a stock shaft)?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can hear Fragger in full cry now when he beats you with your shiny new stick! Sounds like a decent test of a fair number of big dogs and good that you got the shaft (even if there was hassle) that works best. Good luck with it

Imurg

Visit site
Mmm, high spin and low launch. I am going to take a wild guess that you hit down on the ball with the driver.

Odd that the shop didn't know the RIP was a stock shaft. Did you try the Project X (also a stock shaft)?

You know me too well Ethan....!! :D

They didn't have the PX in stiff - I think someone walked off with it