Gun activists.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Q) Why do you have a gun?

A) To defend myself because other people have guns

Solution Do away with guns

But Americans are too stupid to see the solution.

Visit America, go to a bar (ours are open well past 11PM, thankfully), and call somebody stupid for disagreeing with you on this issue.
But say goodbye to your loved ones before boarding at Heathrow.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Visit America, go to a bar (ours are open well past 11PM, thankfully), and call somebody stupid for disagreeing with you on this issue.

I think it's more shocking that in a country full of guns and the twoodle you have spoken on the subject that someone hasnt shot you out of boredham

Swango1980

Visit site
Well, that really is a horrific example if you are defending gun ownership.

Should Americans be able to own guns?

Your Opinion: Yes, but don't get into a debate with someone in a pub as you might get shot.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I think we ought to give YOB a break. I think it's clear from reading his messages he's not a fan of the gun laws or the way they are implemented or interpreted. He's just trying to point out the real issue of trying to get the change the constitution is next to impossible as it's so entrenched in the American way of life.
In Europe it's different to the USA. For me not having guns is a definite plus. Many Americans don't see it that way.
Come on guys, give Y.O.B a break. See my comments above. Don't keep having a go at him for what is an American cultural thing.
He's not a screaming gun addict, he's trying to explain the cultural differences between the USA and, well, most other parts of the world.
I am totally against guns, I scream at the TV when I see another shooting in the USA and nothing is done. I have a relation in Texas who posted a video from the NRA about the wish for guns in the UK that was totally inaccurate, fabricated and basically tried to use fox hunting to say that the British wanted guns. (Of course, they just called it hunting and never mentioned it was blokes in red coats riding on horses chasing a fox. I mean, why confuse the issue with facts! :rolleyes:). I put him right on this and he apologised.
In fact, if you want a laugh, have a look at some of their videos. Especially about the UK. The sad thing is, people will look at these and believe it.
Put your cases forward but I think you're being unfair to put it all on to Y.O.B.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
or replace "a bar" with a disagreement on anything... crossing the road, driving a car, upset with you fellow school pupils.... all this just sums up why you jokers should't have guns

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
in 2017 there where 49,000 gun deaths. 26,000 of them where suicide. so when you walk into a store to purchase a gun "statistically" your more likely to shoot yourself.

it also makes me laugh that Americans keep guns incase they want to overthrow the government. so you have a desert Eagle or an m4 assault rifle and the government has tanks, missiles, drones and so on.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
And no matter what argument people put forward. The easy availability of guns makes such an incident far too easy. Yes, he could have driven the car at the kids (but if he's worried about snowballs damaging his car then he'd be even more worried by the damage a body would make), or he could get out and chase them with a knife blunt instrument but at least they have a fighting chance of running away.
Here, it is someone who is pissed off, has a gun in his glovebox, thinks "I'll teach the little ............" and shoots irrespective of the consequence.
Of course, if he didn't have easy access to a gun.....?

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Guns are made for one purpose only, to kill.

I will never understand the American attitude towards guns. Every time I hear of a mass shooting I am filled with sadness for the victims but at the same time I find it hard to feel sorry for them. You guys have made your bed, now you have to lie in it.

That's a very skewed perspective. Especially with how much most of the students campaign for tighter gun restrictions.
Q) Why do you have a gun?

A) To defend myself because other people have guns

Solution Do away with guns

But Americans are too stupid to see the solution. We currently have a problem with knives but rather than make them legal and everyone carries one the Govt are working on laws to clamp down on them.

When you do away guns the only people you negatively impact are law abiding citizens. Criminals don’t respect such laws.

As I’ve said before the UK banned Hand guns Yet it’s still the most commonly used firearm in gun related crime.

Knives are currently a huge issue so laws are enforced to prevent carrying of knives in public, restrict sales of certain knifes etc.
So why so much knife crime? Because criminals don’t respect the law so carry knives and stab others.

Now This is where I see both sides. I don’t think there should be an outright ban on guns you only strip away hobbies, interests and rights of law abiding citizens. I honestly think we have it right here, apply for guns, have suitable reason for ownership and pass the criteria to own the relevant firearms.

My point is there are millions of guns in the UK and there are barely and day to day murders or criminal activity with legally owned firearms.

I get it some people just hate guns and that’s fine! But they won’t look at it from a neutral stand point it’s just ‘NO BAN GUNS’ which to me is on par with ‘ALL TEACHERS SHOULD BE ARMED’. Both are extreme viewpoints and there is middle ground which I believe we have found here in the UK.

My guns are securely stored, never used for criminal activity and allow me to partake in hobbies and interests with my own firearms. Why shouldn’t a law abiding citizen be able to do that because of fearmongering? The issue in USA is too much free access to guns the same issue we have with kids and knifes in this country it allows idiots/cowards to prey on the general public.

Swango1980

Visit site
That's a very skewed perspective. Especially with how much most of the students campaign for tighter gun restrictions.

When you do away guns the only people you negatively impact are law abiding citizens. Criminals don’t respect such laws.

As I’ve said before the UK banned Hand guns Yet it’s still the most commonly used firearm in gun related crime.

Knives are currently a huge issue so laws are enforced to prevent carrying of knives in public, restrict sales of certain knifes etc.
So why so much knife crime? Because criminals don’t respect the law so carry knives and stab others.

Now This is where I see both sides. I don’t think there should be an outright ban on guns you only strip away hobbies, interests and rights of law abiding citizens. I honestly think we have it right here, apply for guns, have suitable reason for ownership and pass the criteria to own the relevant firearms.

My point is there are millions of guns in the UK and there are barely and day to day murders or criminal activity with legally owned firearms.

I get it some people just hate guns and that’s fine! But they won’t look at it from a neutral stand point it’s just ‘NO BAN GUNS’ which to me is on par with ‘ALL TEACHERS SHOULD BE ARMED’. Both are extreme viewpoints and there is middle ground which I believe we have found here in the UK.

My guns are securely stored, never used for criminal activity and allow me to partake in hobbies and interests with my own firearms. Why shouldn’t a law abiding citizen be able to do that because of fearmongering? The issue in USA is too much free access to guns the same issue we have with kids and knifes in this country it allows idiots/cowards to prey on the general public.
The point of handguns being the most commonly used weapon in gun deaths in UK is completely irrelevant. Even if there was only 1 death, if it was a handgun, that point would still be true.

A better stat would be, compare how many Americans per 100,000 die by gun compared to same stat for UK. I believe the number is around 50 times higher for Americans. I wonder why?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
in 2017 there where 49,000 gun deaths. 26,000 of them where suicide. so when you walk into a store to purchase a gun "statistically" your more likely to shoot yourself.

it also makes me laugh that Americans keep guns incase they want to overthrow the government. so you have a desert Eagle or an m4 assault rifle and the government has tanks, missiles, drones and so on.
thats it you have convinced me Americans should be allowed more guns;)

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Well, that really is a horrific example if you are defending gun ownership.

Should Americans be able to own guns?

Your Opinion: Yes, but don't get into a debate with someone in a pub as you might get shot.

I think we all understand hyperbole for the purpose of making a point.
It is not up to Brits to decide what parts of our constitution are unreasonable.
If you wish to willfully disrespect our culture and call us "stupid" in so doing, you cannot expect us to not take offense.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
The point of handguns being the most commonly used weapon in gun deaths in UK is completely irrelevant. Even if there was only 1 death, if it was a handgun, that point would still be true.

A better stat would be, compare how many Americans per 100,000 die by gun compared to same stat for UK. I believe the number is around 50 times higher for Americans. I wonder why?

I didn’t mention gun deaths in uk I said firearm related crime. What I’m saying is there are millions of legally held firearms in the UK. Yet the handgun which was banned is responsible for the vast majority of firearm crime.

It shows that banning guns has no effect as the criminals will still find ways to access them.

it also shows that when a proper procedure is in place firearm ownership is not an issue!

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think we all understand hyperbole for the purpose of making a point.
It is not up to Brits to decide what parts of our constitution are unreasonable.
If you wish to willfully disrespect our culture and call us "stupid" in so doing, you cannot expect us to not take offense.

Don’t take offence YOB, their are a lot of people on these boards that post stuff they wouldn’t dream of saying to your face...Your right it is a massive cultural difference, there is almost a zero tolerance of guns in this country...if you brandish even an imitation gun in public you will probably be shot dead by the police! (Someone got shot over here for carrying a chair leg that the police thought was a gun!)
Anyway let’s move the conversation on... Abortion, what’s everyone’s take on it???

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

I remember, not long after you joined the forum, you told us you were more civilised than us Brits because you carried guns and you had better food than us.
This from a country which allows 40,000 people to die every year so you can keep your lovely guns and has an obesity rate of around 40%.
Not a good way to make a good first impression.

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
Guns are part of the American fabric. Orginally people had guns not because they wanted them but because they needed one for survival. Remember, most of America was untamed and lawless way back when. The majority of people carried a gun for self defense, some for personal gains and a few to settle old scores and disputes (I'm distantly related to the Dewey family from Kansas. Google the Dewey-Berry fight, good insight on how they settle arguments!).

The vast majority of gun owning Americans are law abiding people who own a gun for home protection or use at the shooting range. Those that go out on mass shootings or random shootings must have underlying issues that cause them to snap.
I dont think, for the US, a full ban on firearms is the answer because it would not pass through congress. Stricter checks on potential buyers is a start but they need to be strict, involve medical and mental background checks. Even then it probably wont prevent gun crime but it's a start.

D

Deleted member 23270

I get what you are saying but it isn't really the criminals that are the problem, how many mass shootings are down to them? Agree they will always find a way to have guns. The real problem is that mentally unstable members of the public can buy automatic rifles and go on the rampage. Remove that level of access and a significant portion of the problem is eradicated.