Grip: Vardon V.S Interlocking

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got taught the interlocking as a kid and stuck with it. Had various spells of trying the Vardon but never really felt comfy with it and always reverted to type. My grip is strong and the pro is happy with that for now as I try and get to grips with the one plane swing we're working on but he thinks it could be more neutral in time. I have to say, all we're working in is controlling the clubface at impact and turning - not spinning the hips and the results are very good so the strong grip isn't an issue

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I used to baseball, and was happy with it.

Then I started wondering if I had a strong/weak grip, and all this how many knuckles showing made no sense to me at all. So I bought a Leadbetter training grip for a spare 6i. But you can't base ball with it, as it is not long enough. So I changed to interlocking. But this felt like I was trying to break my fingers, so I changed to an over lapping style, which I have stuck with.

Any of them did the job on the course though.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was taught vardon and have medium / large hands in glove size.

In my experimental days tried the baseball grip and interlocking but didnt get on at all

My biggest probelm was not my left hand but my right hand

Trying to stop my right hand turning clockwise ( sort of under the grip ) and right hand thumb sitting on the top of the grip was very very hard but after buying those training club grips and placing my hands on it over many days i have now sorted it.

I think we all know the importance of the lead hand but i think the other hand is often overlooked

Best time in the year to see your grip faults is summer without a glove on, when your hands are a tad sweaty it really shows if your grip is breaking down in the swing.

When the grip is correct the grip pressure can be more relaxed and you still maintain a good grip of the club.

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
im in the middle of trying to change from the baseball.. just quick question is the vardonleft index finger ontop of right pinky rested on top?

ive tried the interlock and its uncomfortable after a few balls

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im a baseball grip man. Have smallish hands and have a
few problems with my finger "broke a few playing hockey".
Started using interlock but it hurt and found baseball comfortable
so stuck with it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
im in the middle of trying to change from the baseball.. just quick question is the vardonleft index finger ontop of right pinky rested on top?

ive tried the interlock and its uncomfortable after a few balls

Check this out.

http://golf.about.com/cs/golfterms/g/bldef_vardongri.htm

I
'm a Vardon guy having started baseball style. Interlocking didn't feel comfortable with no power and actually hurt after a few swings.

Interlock for putting though.

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My pro tries to teach pupils to use the Vardon grip where possible.

Most of the pro's on tour use the Vardon grip but Tiger uses Interlocking, so both are probably as good as each other.

I use the Vardon as I the Interlocking grip felt too weak for me.

Captain_Black

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Vardon for me.
I find the interlocking grip hurts my fingers after a few holes & creates to much tension in my forearms & it causes me to grip the club too tight.

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I interlock, changed it mid-round one day when I first started getting out on the course. I was struggling controlling the club with vardon, so the lad who was giving me pointers showed me how to interlock, despite using vardon himself. I've got small hands though (it doens't mean anything!) and I find it really comfortable.

Easy to control how tight you're gripping as well. I wear a ring on my left middle finger, and when i'm swinging on the range or in the garden, I leave it on and I can tell if i'm gripping too tight, because it hurts my right small finger.

As long as I get the club back nicely, and all the way through the ball going relatively straight, i'm happy.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
just quick question is the vardonleft index finger ontop of right pinky rested on top?

It's right pinky resting in the crease (and on top) between left first and second finger.......... unless I'm doing it wrong.

What you describe is reverse overlap, which lots of players (me included) use as a putting grip.