Greenwich Golf Courses

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just moved to the Greenwich area (from the North-West) and I'm now looking for a golf course to join.

I'm living about 5/10 minutes away from Shooters Hill (Great join there? would do if they responded to my membership inquiry!)

There seem to be plenty of courses around the area but which are any good? Most seem to either cost a lot per round or don't allow weekend visitors at all which makes it difficult to play before joining.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks

Adam

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome to Kent, and to the Forum.

Not played Shooters hill, though heard good things about it. The pricier side of golf in that area would be Royal Blackheath, again never played it, but have been for lunch there. Possibly a bit to posh for me but beautiful looking course.

Other than that, Eltham Warren isn't too far, nor is Bexleyheath. Both 9 Hole courses though that use different tees for the back 9. Eltham Warren is a lovely little place to play though. Slightly further out is Dartford, not played it but again heard it’s in great condition and very tight.

There are a few in the Beckenham area maybe wrong side for yourself though in location, but they tend to be more public and couple of very unusual on holes on those courses. There may be more that others can recommend, but other than means coming further down into Kent and depends how far you want to go. There's a few around the Bromley/Orpington area that maybe worth a look but I’ve only play a couple of those, and would say of the best I’ve played around there are; Pedham Place & Cray Valley.

Others near there are, Lullingstone Castle in my opinion a little boring and only about 4 good holes all of which are the last 4. Ruxley Park avoid like the plague it’s like playing on a Rugby pitch after a series of games during a downpour.

Hope you find a good home, ever fancy a game somewhere PM me and I’ll be up for a knock, still plenty of courses I’ve not played around Kent/South East London

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks,

Shooters Hill is a great track just a shame they don't seem to want me to join! Played it every week since I moved. Fingers crossed the secretary has just been on holiday for the last month!

I'm trying to work out if I can justify the prices at Royal Blackheath - playing 3-4 times a week + the status of the place - I've nearly managed to justify it but I'd like to play it before making that sort of investment and they don't allow visitors on weekends.

The other I like the look of is Sundridge Park but again they don't allow visitors at weekends and also they don't publish their membership prices online so could be well out of my league for all I can tell.

Quite fancy a trot down to Cray Valley. It would be good to know which courses are too expensive and which are full of once a year golfers!

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure what Blackheath would be like getting a game with members, when I went for lunch there wasn't very accomodating to an outsider, but would love to play the course.

Not heard much about Sundridge Park other than where its locted. Cray Valley is pretty good for a public course got some interesting holes on it, only problem is things can get slow round there first thing. This is due to the pro being useless at booking tee times, he books the allocated slots with 10mins between each group but then slots loads of unbooked groups in on the fly in between.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was a member at shooters many years ago, luckily I knew members there who got me in !
A lovely course but you do need to be fit to play it.

Now at Dartford, A tight little course with interesting lay out (since they lost a bit of land when they built the A2)
Very friendly and open for membership.
Also at Dartford, you have Birchwood, which is OK.
A bit further down the A2 you have Mid Kent which is nice and Rochester and Cobham.

Would not bother with Cray valley (or Ruxley, under the banner of Orpington golf centre, owned by the council not Crown).

Never played Royal Blackheath.

All in though a shame you can't get a foot in at Shooters, are you after 5 or 7 day ?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also have a look at Pedham Place - course in much better nick than Ruxley or Cray Valley. And they have the new clubhouse now instead of the portacabins. Or Birchwood Park is worth a look but from recollection, can be a bit busy at weekends. Neither would take too long to get to from Greenwich

Or heading a different direction, could have a look at Dulwich & Sydenham Hill. About the same price as Shooters Hill but a much better course and very friendly. But then there's a reason why I might be slightly biased! Not sure if its full at the moment though?

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would suggest avoiding Royal Blackheath at the moment. Apart from the joining fee (c £4K I believe) and annual subs, the course isn't really that great. Very flat, fairways up and down, etc and rumour has it that they are currently trying to raise finance to re-model the course by changing some of the hole layouts to get a bit more length. If that goes ahead then there will be massive disruption for a couple of years.

Sundridge Park has a £2,500 joining fee and 7 day subs around the £1,500 level but there again you get 2x18 hole excellent courses for the money.

Public courses in the Bromley area are very busy and not much cop to be honest, but I would recommend High Elms as a good track.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm looking for 7 day membership.

I've looked at Dulwich and Sydenham and Dartford with interest but because they dont allow visitors at weekends (at least according to their websites!) I'm a bit stuck with playing before signing short of taking a couple of days/afternoons off work.

Good inside knowledge on Blackheath save me pursuing that one - still like to go for a knock though!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played a few around there. Sundridge Park is by far & away the best setup/club/courses etc as leftie mentions you do get 2 proper courses for your money.

Shooters Hill is OK, but we didn't really appeciate the welcome we got there so haven't been back. Maybe there is a common theme with their lack of interest in your enquiry.

I liked Dartford, it's quite short and some of the par 4's feel a bit samey (tight & tree lined) but the condition of the course was good.

Chislehurst is always in great nick, but it's about the same membership as Sundridge Park, for a 5000 yard par 66. Some may call it a pitch & putt, good greens though

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm looking for 7 day membership.

I've looked at Dulwich and Sydenham and Dartford with interest but because they dont allow visitors at weekends (at least according to their websites!) I'm a bit stuck with playing before signing short of taking a couple of days/afternoons off work.

I could get you in as a guest at the weekend, but its competition season at the mo, so it probably would be until late Sept.
Best value would be one afternoon/evening, if you could get there, as its £10 after 2 as a guest midweek.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sundridge Park do allow visitors at weekends but only as a member's guest. Green fee £40 though - nearly double the cost of mid week.

If you want a visit (mid week or weekend) I could sign you in and show you round.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would make sure you consider how long your happy to travel / que in traffic as any course in se London, as many other areas, this is a major problem. For instance, if you left Greenwich for an after work round you could be looking at 1hr+ to some of these local courses. If I was you, this would play a big part in your decision. Never played royal blackheath, but dulwich and Sydenham is pretty decent. I Would also give those clubs a call where your getting little luck with email and websites, some are still not exactly up to speed with the modern communication channels.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Played against Dulwich and Sydenham in a mixed match yesterday. The course was really good. Fairways were soft and lush, greens were rock-solid and lightening fast (which I hate!), and the layout is pretty good, although it was a little disconcerting being so close where the adjacent holes almost share the fairway (and 1st and 18th actually do!). The views are to die for as well, especially at night from the terrace, when the whole of London is illuminated.

The bad news for the OP is that they have a waiting list to join at present.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your Welcome to come for a hack about at mine, just on the edge of Croydon, 27 holes that's in mint condition - the course has just had just under 3.5 mil invested and the plans over the next two years are mega. Best move I made biting the bullet and signing the direct debit!

Bratty

Visit site
Your Welcome to come for a hack about at mine, just on the edge of Croydon, 27 holes that's in mint condition - the course has just had just under 3.5 mil invested and the plans over the next two years are mega. Best move I made biting the bullet and signing the direct debit!
Glad to hear you've joined a proper club, Baz! ;0)

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Change of plan Shooters Hill woke up! Thanks anyway everybody for the recommedations!

Figured I'd give the pro a nudge last weekend and see what happened at the start of the week otherwise send some begging emails/phonecalls around to the recommendations I'd received on here. Then hey presto the phone rang apparently they'd been sending stuff to my email which was rebounding (for whatever reason!)

Got to go to an interview on Tuesday evening!

Bratty

Visit site
Good news and good luck!

Just don't post an "I've got an interview, what should I expect" thread! ;0)

Search the forum, cos there's a lot of info already on here.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Change of plan Shooters Hill woke up! Thanks anyway everybody for the recommedations!

Figured I'd give the pro a nudge last weekend and see what happened at the start of the week otherwise send some begging emails/phonecalls around to the recommendations I'd received on here. Then hey presto the phone rang apparently they'd been sending stuff to my email which was rebounding (for whatever reason!)

Got to go to an interview on Tuesday evening!

Good luck.
Go in suited and booted and say you have no problems with women playing golf on the course (probably the only question I can remember being asked was my opinion of women golfers).

MikeTimbers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have played Royal Blackheath as a guest of the Club Secretary and the course is not worth the fees. It's a "status" club worth it for those who use it for corporate entertaining and little else. The golf simply isn't good enough.

Birchwood Park is OK but it gets very busy with inexperienced visitors on weekends.

Dartford Heath is nice although I wouldn't want to play it every day.

Cray Valley is where I play most as it's easy to get on as a single but it's not overly challenging. Needs to add a whole lot more bunkers and narrow its fairways to be a stiffer test.

Ruxley is a glorified pitch and putt with a front nine more akin to crazy golf.

Sundridge Park is good but dear.

For me, if thinking of an easy course to get to plus interesting to play on with potential, I'd seriously look at Pedham Place. It's right on the M25/A20 junction so easy to get to from Greenwich and easy to get to for any guests you invite. It has a good range, an excellent par 3 9-hole course, an existing 18 which has quirks but is never dull and rumours persist that there is a plan to build another 18 in the spare land it owns. I've met many of the members there (I'm not a member I hasten to add) and the club organise regular weekend morning roll-ups for members so you'll never be short of a game.