GPS's ? Helpful or not?

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Evening,

What are peoples thoughts on golf GOS watches or standalone GPS's? I like the idea of having something that gives me a more accurate idea of distance rather than judging myself? Im going on the idea it might bring a little more consistency in club selection and shot choice etc....
Who uses one and what are your opinions? Useful or gimmick?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Evening,

What are peoples thoughts on golf GOS watches or standalone GPS's? I like the idea of having something that gives me a more accurate idea of distance rather than judging myself? Im going on the idea it might bring a little more consistency in club selection and shot choice etc....
Who uses one and what are your opinions? Useful or gimmick?

If you know your club distances [within a few yards ] then get one.
But most courses have fairway distance markers at 100, 150, 200 yards to the centre of the green, so you should never be more than 25 yards from a marker, if you're on the correct fairway :D :rofl:

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
If you know your club distances [within a few yards ] then get one.
But most courses have fairway distance markers at 100, 150, 200 yards to the centre of the green, so you should never be more than 25 yards from a marker, if you're on the correct fairway :D :rofl:

Mine has a 150 marker, then a red disc in the centre of the fairway to mark 100yds so unless your close to it its not the easiest thing to spot (Im red and green colour blind :D )

mteam

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Game Golf and Golf pad plus others do free apps for you phone that will give yardages of you want to try one out

Last edited:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definitely helpful. I used to be a laser rangefinder through and through, but since I got my skycaddie touch, it is invaluable when playing ‘away’ courses.
Round my own course, I won’t use it so much..but it comes into its own when playing other places

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Is there any risk buying second hand or a good place to start? Been offered a garmin S1 watch for £40 just slightly worried about battery life.
Or do i bite the bullet now and get a brand new bushnell neo for £75 from Clubhouse Golf?

Franco

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is there any risk buying second hand or a good place to start? Been offered a garmin S1 watch for £40 just slightly worried about battery life.
Or do i bite the bullet now and get a brand new bushnell neo for £75 from Clubhouse Golf?

I have a Bushnell Neo Ghost. It gives distances to front, middle and back, together with details of up to four hazards. I find it particularly useful on new courses, for telling me about hidden creeks below my line of sight. The battery lasts in excess of 10 hours before recharging. Excellent value for the money.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use a Garmin watch as opposed to the rangefinder. Less specific but gives a guide as I'm not that consistent with my distances. Biggest thing by mile is an appreciation of how big a green is - if you know the flag is at the back that could be another 20-30 yds difference to the front so two clubs.

Garmin s1 for £40 sounds worth a try - battery life shouldn't be an issue as mine haven't particularly aged, but I think that's the model where the strap can't be replaced so if it breaks which is a weakness then you won't be able to have it as a watch but instead attach it to your bag.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very useful, particularly when first bought. Made me realise I do not hit the yardages I thought I did and that my 'walked' yardages were not that accurate.
Playing away on a new course helps to plot your way around if you have a full GPS with full picture of the hole.

Lasers are better if you want exact yardages but you must have line of sight and no mist or fog.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our course only has markers in the middle of the fairways so a GPS watch is more beneficial than a laser range finder.

I’ve got the Bushnell Neo iON which was about £110 when I got it last year. Good watch with loads of measurements and also a shot distance measuring tool which is great when you boom a big drive down the middle 😉 Highly recommended!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Definitely usefull, even for a higher handicapper. After using it for one or two rounds you'll never look back. (The only downside is that you will get dependend on it a little bit. When I forget to recharge my Garmin or leave it at home, I keep looking at my wrist questioningly the whole round long looking for guidance that isn't there ...)

Lasers are more precise and a bit more versatile, but they are also a bit more of a hassle to use. The GPS tells you the distance to the green (front, middle and back) and on the more advanced ones also to hazards at one glance.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
pretty useful.

everyone i know uses some sort of DMD. i prefer range finder TBH, but the watches that do F/M/B are good from what ive seen.

D

Deleted member 16999

Try the motocaddy app, free and big numbers on the screen.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Very useful. I've had a Bushnell Neo XS for a few years now and it makes my game easier. Not all courses have the yardage markers, and they're only specific to where they are and so you have to then do your own internal calcs. A GPS watch is look and know. I prefer it to a laser as its faster, I don't need line of site and it covers hazards a laser may not be able to see (lots on our course).
As Capella said, you do get to rely on it after a while but definitely worth it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been using GPS apps on my phone for over a year now. I could not be without it. I'm pretty rubbish at judging distance by eye, so getting the right yardage from the GPS is key for me in selecting the right club. I'd rather be correct on it that trying to work it out by eye and maybe be 10 yards out. Plus the phone apps are free so it's a no brainer.

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a GPS watch that I use all the time, I also bought a cheap laser that I use maybe 4 or 5 times a round.

I definitely think a GPS device is worth the money as I find I will look at it as part of my pre shot routine to help determine club choice.