GPS and phones

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm due a new phone next week and one of the main criteria I'm applying when considering what one to get is it's GPS capabilities.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to get?

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
HTC Touch Diamond 2 has overly impressed me in the month or 2 that i've had it.

iPhone 3 GS is the only other option i looked at.

Take a look at mobiles.co.uk for more info and cheap prices.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep, iphone is a contender, the only problem is that I'm with T-Mobile and would have to switch to O2.
But if that's the best about, that won't be a problem to do.
I was having a look at the Nokia N97, but I don't really want to pay for the phone and I'm certainly not paying £70 p/m to get it free.

Happy birthday

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Blackberry Storm has GPS built in, and mine came with 6 months free trial of the Find & Go software. I've also downloaded a trial of the Greenfinder software, which is supposed to be like Sky Caddie. I haven't had chance to use it but when I do I'll post a review.

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've got the HTC Magic (built in GPS) and there are a couple of applications available.

Droid Caddie
Tee Droid

I have Droid Caddie, and although there is not yet a massive amount of courses available it is easy to add them your self.

No more than half an hour to plot a course on Google Earth and transfer to the phone.

Not 100% accurate, granted, but as it costs about five pound that is acceptable to me.

HTC Magic is only available on Vodafone.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have downloaded it and will use it for practice rounds as our club rightfully (haha that'll put the cat amonght the pigeons)has a ban in place. put my club on inside 20 mins. Im using a Samsung Omnia with windows Mobile 6.1 pro.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm another vote for the iPhone. There is a ton of golf GPS software available. I use TeeShot.

One word of warning with phone GPS. Not all GPS's are created equal. What I mean by that is the accuracy and speed the lock. I've read some GPS's can have a tolerance of +/- 20 Yards and can take 1-2 mins to lock onto your location.

Which makes some of them bugger all use for golf IMHO !

I'll have to check TeeShot against my SkyCaddie sometime.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
you can download the latest GPS info regularly onto your phone so as it's always as accurate and quick as possible. Other things have a factor in it as well, like cloud cover etc

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
you can download the latest GPS info regularly onto your phone so as it's always as accurate and quick as possible. Other things have a factor in it as well, like cloud cover etc

Slugger I was referring more the the GPS chips themselves rather than the maps. Even if the map is dead on there can be quite a margin of error in some chips giving your correct position on the map and the time it takes to calculate it.

Something to do the the number of satellites it uses to get a fix I think and the error correction algorithms used.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers for all the replys guys, I've ended up with the HTC G1.

G1_2.jpg

It's some piece of kit and my GPS is accurate to about 5yards.
I haven't downloaded any golf GPS stuff yet, but I'll post a review as soon as I do.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's a PHONE ??

Are you telling me that it has an application for dialling other telephone numbers and talking to people as well? :p

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know you have chosen that one but for anyone interested I want to sing Iphones praises, I used the Live maps application on it when I was in passenger seat of car the other week and it was as good as sat nav.

In fact its that good that tom tom have now brought out the software for the iphone along with other top nav companies.