Got to be in it to win it

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I often have a chuckle when I read about high handicaps complaining that they should be allowed to be "competitive" and "why shouldn't we win?"

The cry goes out that they will lose interest if they are not able to win comps.

I have won a grand total of twice since coming down from 19-7 handicap. One was a 47 pointer off 19 and the other was lowest gross while playing off 9.

5 years and a lot of balls have been hit in between those two wins.

Has anyone else dropped as many shots and not been in the winners circle.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a regular to the winners circle, i often celebrate F1 style by spraying a bevy of scandinavian beauties with champers then off to my penthouse for erm...nibbles.
playboy_playmates_golf.jpg

Then i wake up and realised it was another 0.1 rise :D ooh er.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As a regular to the winners circle, i often celebrate F1 style by spraying a bevy of scandinavian beauties with champers then off to my penthouse for erm...nibbles.

Just as well they are collared shirts, a letter to the council was nearly on it's way!

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don't have a comment to make I just wanted to see the picture again !! :eek:

KJT123

Head Pro
Visit site

That fairway looks nice

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've won twice in 5 years going from 14-8.

One was lowest gross (75) off 12 in a hurricane, the other was 71 off 9. They were within 6 months of each other. I bought a sombrero to celebrate.

Then my son was born and I haven't done better than 76 in 2 years.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've won twice in 5 years going from 14-8.

One was lowest gross (75) off 12 in a hurricane, the other was 71 off 9. They were within 6 months of each other. I bought a sombrero to celebrate.

Then my son was born and I haven't done better than 76 in 2 years.

I thought I was on the only one. More runners up medals than Monty :rofl:

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Is that the new swing Stacked and Pout.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
All my cuts have come from wins. I'm either amazingly good, rarely, or amazingly bad. mostly. Many many times I've raised a club going down the 16th with the 100 up.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought I was on the only one. More runners up medals than Monty :rofl:

The thing I don't get is the preoccupation with winning. I nearly called it an obsession but that would be unfair on some.

I suppose it depends on your view. Like others, I play primarily because I love to play, but I play competitively to see if I can beat my best score and get my h/c down.

Winning just doesn't enter my head because I personally don't think you win if you don't shoot the lowest gross score and the chances of me doing that are slim. On those 2 occasions I mentioned above, I knew I had shot a decent number and could be in with a shout of having the lowest gross. Anything other than that is a manufactured win, in my eyes.

I should say that I don't grudge anyone the chance to win on a net basis. It's just that, for me, I wouldn't consider I had won. For example, the 75 was a better round than the 71 because nobody bettered it and because it was in filthy conditions. I know I deserved that win.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've dropped from 26 to 12 over the years and as a 26er I won several 11 hole roll-up comps with scores of 33 points ( I know, outrageous). And before anyone starts with the bandit schtick let me say that back then I'd never previously had a proper handicap and neither had I a clue about competition club golf. I had a good grounding in the game but no practical 'golf club' experience whatsoever.

Anyway my achievements fell under the watchful eye of the club's handicap committee who then moved quickly and cut me 2 shots twice over a period of 6 weeks, despite the scores only having been over 11 holes.

Was I annoyed? No way, I was extatic as my goal back then was, as it still is, to get as low as possible.

In the interim years I've won some monthly medals and stablefords as my (genuine) handicap has come down.

Last weekend I had a .8 cut which sees me at my lowest ever (11.6) and with another 3 months of potentially good weather left my goal is to reach 10 or 11.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site

I think this probably breaks a whole host of etiquette issues previously raised on this forum including not wearing golf shoes, in-appropriate golf clothing, going out as a 6-ball, slow play, no glove, not being ready to play etc. I mean, probably, because it's not as if looked to closely at this picture or anything as it's slightly off topic......